Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (Rickster, Cornell Climber), 6 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#64920 - 05/18/12 06:29 PM Re: Free Clinics; Learn what you don't know. [Re: Coppertone]
TerrieM Online   content
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Bump for the Saturday Night Live Clinics! And afterward (this weekend) head to Rock and Snow, for a slideshow by Russ Clune which begins at 8pm.

#64947 - 05/21/12 12:07 PM Re: Free Clinics; Learn what you don't know. [Re: Coppertone]
whatthegunks Offline

Loc: High Falls, NY
Saturday's clinic on rappelling was off to a good start when a woman came running down the carriage road shouting that someone had fallen. Several of us raced down to the base of Belly Roll to find some people attending to a woman who had rappelled off the end of the rope, the ends of which swayed slightly ten feet above.

The climber was likely not injured too severely and with help from a bunch of people Preserve rangers got her on a backboard, into a litter and out to a waiting ambulance pretty fast.

This incident provided an unfortunate exclamation point for my opening to the clinic; KNOT THE ENDS OF THE ROPE WHEN RAPPELLING.

Thanks to everyone who attended the clinic and especially to Jason Hurwitz from EMS who stayed and talked about anchor building with an interested person after I had to leave (to see my daughter's dance performance). We will be sure to come back to this subject of rappelling safety and efficiency again over the course of this season's clinics.

Saturday the 26th, Matt Shove from Ragged Mt. Guides will be giving the clinic and will cover anchor building. Meet below Ken's Crack in the Uberfall at 5.

Cheers, Joe.

#64948 - 05/21/12 01:56 PM Re: Free Clinics; Learn what you don't know. [Re: whatthegunks]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
This incident provided an unfortunate exclamation point for my opening to the clinic; KNOT THE ENDS OF THE ROPE WHEN RAPPELLING.

Many thanks Joe.

Edited by donald perry (05/21/12 02:00 PM)

#64949 - 05/21/12 03:52 PM Re: Free Clinics; Learn what you don't know. [Re: donald perry]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
def. and also, did you know this one? when rappeling without a brake device or harness, wear blue jeans!! ; )

#64950 - 05/21/12 04:13 PM Re: Free Clinics; Learn what you don't know. [Re: phlan]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Originally Posted By: phlan
def. and also, did you know this one? when rappeling without a brake device or harness, wear blue jeans!! ; )

Nope...wool knickers are the way to go.

#64951 - 05/21/12 07:23 PM Re: Free Clinics; Learn what you don't know. [Re: Mike Rawdon]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Lederhosen?

#64952 - 05/21/12 07:39 PM Re: Free Clinics; Learn what you don't know. [Re: oenophore]
tradjunkie Offline
enthusiast

Now available at Macy's:

Ralph Lauren Mountain Rappel Pants

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/rlx-ralph-lauren-pants-mountain-rappel-pants?ID=651083

Unfortunately, the boots do not appear to be available in stores.

#64956 - 05/22/12 01:30 AM Re: Free Clinics; Learn what you don't know. [Re: tradjunkie]
JordanF Offline
stranger

Are you supposed to rack them during the climb, then put them on to rap back down?

#64957 - 05/22/12 01:36 AM Re: Free Clinics; Learn what you don't know. [Re: tradjunkie]
The Lisa Online   content
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
Um, how did you come across those pants in the first place??? confused

Seriously, I love hearing about these clinics and am sorry to have missed them so far, but will aim to be there on Saturdays in future. I was privileged to see Joe in action on Sunday at Lost City and very much appreciated the use of his TR setup.
Lisa

#64960 - 05/22/12 11:02 AM Re: Free Clinics; Learn what you don't know. [Re: The Lisa]
wivanov Offline

Loc: CT
Thanks for doing this, Joe.

We arrived at Ken's 'exactly' when the woman came running up to report the accident on Belly Roll. It would have been nice to meet you but you were a bit tied up after that and then we headed over to Rock and Snow.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored