Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 16 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#65304 - 06/06/12 04:26 AM Re: Best climbing pants? [Re: crimpy]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
These days you can find inexpensive lightweight nylon pants of all types, long, zipoff and shorts. No reason not to wear them in warm weather, and they last far longer than jeans.

Ive found that it's easier to them at good prices if you aren't athletically built, or you dont mind that they dont fit as though they were tailored for you with climbing in mind.

#65306 - 06/06/12 10:22 AM Re: Best climbing pants? [Re: crimpy]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Originally Posted By: crimpy
for real, just bring the garment. definitely makes for money well spent.
From a Patagonia webpage:

If you are not satisfied with one of our products at the time you receive it, or if one of our products does not perform to your satisfaction, you may return it to us for a repair, replacement or refund. Damage due to wear and tear will be repaired at a reasonable charge.

This is the so-called ironclad guarantee. Big &*&^^%%$#@ deal!

#65308 - 06/06/12 01:34 PM Re: Best climbing pants? [Re: oenophore]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
I believe that may be a smoke screen. Everything i have brought to the store in manhattan has been replaced, no questions asked with no receipt.

#65313 - 06/06/12 05:01 PM Re: Best climbing pants? [Re: Ralph]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
I have a friend who purchases things "in quantity". Can't tell you why, but he does. He just told me this last Wed. as we left the gym.

He had bought three Patagonia Super Alpine jackets not for long after they were first introduced, 80s or 90s. He was looking at them recently and realized that there were beginning to delaminate. He sent them back. A couple of weeks later he received a package from them with three brand new current model Super Alpine jackets, $1800 dollars worth at list price. He was flabbergasted. There had been no other communication and no signature, just an $1800 box left by UPS.

Another recent story. I had wanted to check out the DMM Chicane when they were announced, but I never got around to buying one. When I finally tried to mail order one, they were out of stock (though still listed) at the usual places and may have been discontinued. A few weeks ago I saw him in the gym and noticed he was using a belay device I didn't immediately recognize. Only took me a few seconds though to realize that is was a Chicane. I related to him I had wanted but couldn't find one. His anwer? Take this one I have six! I insisted on paying for it.

#65331 - 06/07/12 05:12 PM Re: Best climbing pants? [Re: Rickster]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Originally Posted By: Rickster
Originally Posted By: Ralph

Does anyone else have page 1 of this thread displayed in D o u b l e W i d e format ?

Yep, pretty annoying. I have no idea why.

Julie's link is causing the wide page as UBB can't find a place to split it.

She should have posted it as a link, or used one of these to shorten the URL.
http://tinyurl.com/
https://bitly.com/

#65333 - 06/07/12 07:25 PM Re: Best climbing pants? [Re: crimpy]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
Myself, I wear specialized pants. Its a bitch for me to find jeans that fit (28" waist x 34" inseam), so when I find them I am not wasting them climbing since they get trashed SO fast.

Myself, I wear three pants for climbing outside (and I climb between 1-3x/week outside year round)

Patagonia Guide Rock Pants: they actually make them small enough for me, and they are BOMBER. I've worn them for 3 or 4 years now, constantly. They look absolutely brand new although they have been through offwidths, scumming into corners,....You name it, they've been through just about everything, from working routes a couple hundred feet off the deck in the snow, to when its 90F and I'm looking for the shade.

TNF V10 pants (which you can't buy anymore, I don't think): I usually only wear them when its hotter. Its nice that they are pretty lightweight fabric and the pants legs roll up and can be buttoned into place. Prettyt damn tough also.

Black Diamond Rock Pants (probaby 12years old and have been everywhere to working routes in the desert to climbing in Yosemite to approaches and climbing in Peru and Nepal). I think they will probably go another 10 years.

I figure these pants will probably last 5-20years, which in the long run makes them pretty damn cheap, especially since if I am doing routes with sections of offwidths, most pants get trashed REALLY fast.

Now there is that pink sheer tutu I've been looking at (SERIOUSLY)....

As for Patagonia's warranty. They have ALWAYS stood behind there stuff I've sent back (usually just a result of abuse that could be defined as excessive). I pay for shipping, they fix the stuff.

Edited by Chas (06/07/12 07:33 PM)

#65334 - 06/07/12 08:21 PM Re: Best climbing pants? [Re: Chas]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Sorry, Q, and everyone. It's not letting me edit it, or I'd delete it.

#65336 - 06/07/12 11:42 PM Re: Best climbing pants? [Re: Ralph]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Does anyone else have page 1 of this thread displayed in D o u b l e W i d e format ?

Not me. UBB has its quirks, but not this one for my IE8 browswer. This entire thread fits onto one page so far.

#65344 - 06/08/12 11:20 AM Re: Best climbing pants? [Re: oenophore]
wivanov Offline

Loc: CT
Never jeans.
I have some Stonemaster knickers that I like. Got two pair of previous model for about 1/2 price. http://tinyurl.com/6oyfvo9
In cooler weather, I just wear whatever old longer baggy pants I have.

Yes. Both in Firefox and IE. Bad Julie. Bad. wink

#66879 - 11/05/12 04:35 PM Re: Best climbing pants? [Re: wivanov]
berlin Offline

Never wear cotton pants !
Just plain polyester or nylon .

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored