Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#65226 - 06/04/12 03:07 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Kent]
cfrac Offline
addict

Maybe that explains why I can't see your posts when I'm logged in.

#65230 - 06/04/12 04:02 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Kent]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
a.g. is coco for cocoa puffs and thrives to hate. the more hate posts the more we all want to support the preserve.

#65236 - 06/04/12 04:58 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: crimpy]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
We have no choice. We must protect the Preserver from those like AG/MNPA!

Also good to hear from you on this Kent.

#65237 - 06/04/12 05:05 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: cfrac]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
my thoery is A.G = bad cop. Skl = good cop....same person?

#65327 - 06/07/12 03:36 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: crimpy]
acdnyc Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NYC/Kerhonkson
Many years ago, while my climbing partner was scrambling up the trail to set up an anchor above No Picnic, the former climber, who had just taking his parties anchor down was plodding past me with the hint of burned cannabis wafting off his cotton poly blend Patagonia t shirt. Less than a minute had gone buy when my friend comes crashing down and rifles through his pack and yanks out his water bottle. He then turns and runs toward the trail to scramble back up. He says that there is a small fire and needs the water to put it out. I ask if he needs help and he says he should be fine. He disappears over the little rise below 69 and I look up and see white puffs of what looks like wispy clouds but they are below the trees hanging above the cliff. I also notice how fast these wisps are moving and immediately grab my water bottles to lend a hand just in case this small fire grows due to wind.

As I reach the top of the trail I can hear the crackle of fire consuming dried leaves and small branches. I see my friend standing near a fast growing fire a few feet high and headed northeast with the wind. His empty nalagene bottle swinging from his finger tips. Embers and ash are blowing by my already sweaty face from the heat. As the fire races to a large dry bush I dump my water bottles at its base and it hisses in anger as it suddenly dies. Luckily, the fire was a narrow scar in the dry vegetation and my quick decision has saved the ridge from total destruction. I realize I'm sucking in air stained with burnt wood and leaves when my friend pats me on the back and states that he is glad I didn't listen to him, this time.

Feeling like a hero, I wipe some sweat from my eyes and smile back and before I can respond with some jape I hear the snap of water releasing from dead wood. I jerk my head around and a red flapping arm reaches up and grabs the bush I just saved. The crackling almost sounds like a cackling wood witch in my ears as she cast her spell of mass destruction. As the bush starts to scream in agony and the fire starts to pull its way into it. We look at each other and my friend says what are we going to do.

I jump towards the raging red witch and do the only thing I can do. I piss on her. Again, I hear hissing defiant screams. I'm a heavy drinker, mostly the dark brown frothy malty type, but not today! It was many mugs of coffee, juice and water. Need to stay hydrated when climbing in hot dry weather, you know. As I hysterically laugh and curse the red flames I try and extinguish her malice and hate for all things dry and dead with my straw colored stream. As I feel a glowing since of enlightenment for being such a great and strong protector of the wood ridge I have grown to love and as my mighty stream starts to fade to my dismay I hear her laughing and her jeers. They seem distant at first, but they leap back at my face as her red arms leap up again to destroy the shrubbery I had so gallantly tried to protect with my honor. To protect my honor I jump back and zip up, carefully not to snag any honor. The world seems to spin and it feels as if the woods are sucking in air as they brace for their impending doom.

Suddenly, I'm pushed to the side, not rudely just firmly, and my friend leaps in to the fray. He yells for me to get back as he unleashes his own water death upon our common foe. The red witch, in her lustful and wanton love of fiery carnage, has reached out and tried to pull in a small dead tree into her burning grasp. I turn, and find a relatively straight branch and use it to actually beat the witch's grasp off the dead tree. My friend has succeeded where I have failed. He has saved the bush and I had beaten the witch's last attempt to destroy all things dry and dead. I use the branch to scrape the ground and leaves to reveal any of her spawn and stomp them back into the hell they belong.

My friend and I, with stern looks on our faces, for we realize what we just did and how much we saved turn and face the wind and look into the distant sun high over the nears. Standing there we pause, feeling the cool effect of the strong breeze, we hear a distant calling as if someone is trying to reach us from some higher plain. To our dismay its not some higher force recognizing our selfless act it's the stoned climber calling us from the carriage road. He's lost himself in his self-induced high and asks if his roach had started a fire. I yell back with the bitter taste of ash and smoke in my mouth, "No, because we put it out." With a pie eyed grin on his face he waves and saunters up the carriage road and out of our lives for good.

After a few minutes to make sure the red witch will not return we gather our water bottles and our climbing gear and do what every other climber would do. We pack up and head to the Brau for some cold beer and good food.

The one thing I've always wondered about that day is if a fire is started by a roach, is it natural?

#65346 - 06/08/12 01:08 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: acdnyc]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Awesome read! Clearly you are a manly man such as only the cliffs can spawn. Kudos to you and your partner.

#65364 - 06/09/12 05:02 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: chip]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz,Marbletown,Gardiner,...
'Prescribed burn' literally backfires, blaze threatening homes
Box Creek Fire
The MPNA is an advocacy group for adjacent neighbors of the Mohonk Preserve. In the event of a dispute with the Mohonk Preserve, we can offer assistance in obtaining experts in the following areas; Surveying, Lawyers, Title, expert witnesses, ancient document research, and Maps.

#65365 - 06/09/12 05:06 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Advocacy group]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

High winds, temps keeping 270 firefighters busy after prescribed burn.
The most dangerous wildfire burning in Utah was started by the U.S. Forest Service in mid-May to protect homes.
Instead, about 25 homes in Sevier and Piute counties have been evacuated and a crew of wildland firefighters are camping beside them in case the flames from the Box Creek Fire approach. The fire was estimated to have cost $700,000 and rising going into this weekend.
Firefighting went well on Friday and crews hoped for significant progress Saturday, said Jason Kling, the district ranger for the Richfield Ranger District on the Fishlake National Forest. While winds blew steady from the southwest to northeast, firefighters on the ground and helicopters and airplanes dousing the blaze with water were able to prevent any significant expansion of the fire.

But strong winds were expected to return and temperatures to be high again by mid-day Saturday. The Box Creek Fire is estimated to have burned about 2,300 acres. There is no estimate for when the fire will be contained.

The Box Creek Fire began in mid-May. The Forest Service wanted to reduce the number of conifer trees and brush in an area that includes the seasonal homes as well as Box Creek Reservoir and the Piute ATV trail, Kling said. The fear was those trees and brush would be fuel for an uncontrolled fire.

So a crew from the Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management ignited about 200 acres. Kling said the prescribed burn was "a success." So on May 29, the crew ignited another 650 acres.

That burn also appeared successful, Kling said. Firefighters camped overnight to monitor the fire, but the number of personnel gradually was reduced as the fire dissipated, Kling said.

A few firefighters remained on hand Monday, Kling said. That's when winds gusted and an ember "blew across the meadow into some thick fuel," Kling said.

Kling said the firefighters didn't see any signs of trouble until the untreated area began burning. More firefighters were immediately dispatched to the area, but they couldn't contain the spread.

"We were comfortable. We thought we were OK," Kling said of the situation that existed until Monday afternoon. "It was almost a week later since we initially lit."

story continues belowstory continues below
Kling said the good news is the Box Creek Fire is burning now rather than in July when fire conditions across the state are expected to be worse.

Still, Kling acknowledged the evacuated homeowners are upset.

"They have a right to be," Kling said.

About 270 firefighters and at least a half dozen aircraft fought the Box Creek Fire on Friday.

Sevier County Commissioner Gordon Topham said while the Box Creek Fire is mostly burning conifers and aspen, there is some grazing rangeland for livestock being destroyed for the season.

"Everyone usually gets upset when we have a fire, but in the end result we get awfully good rangeland," Topham said. "It's good health for the forest."

Elsewhere in Utah, crews launched an all-out effort Friday to hem in several Utah wildfires, racing against the arrival of high winds this weekend that prompted a "Red Flag" fire danger warning covering most of the state.
The MPNA is an advocacy group for adjacent neighbors of the Mohonk Preserve. In the event of a dispute with the Mohonk Preserve, we can offer assistance in obtaining experts in the following areas; Surveying, Lawyers, Title, expert witnesses, ancient document research, and Maps.

#65366 - 06/09/12 05:09 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Advocacy group]
Advocacy group Offline
addict

Only a stretch of northern Utah from Logan running south to Provo, and a pocket of eastern Utah around Vernal , escaped inclusion in the National Weather Service's extreme fire risk advisory.

The region's largest blaze, the 6,251-acre White Rock Fire, was 90 percent contained. Fire Incident Commander John Kidd said full containment was expected sometime Saturday, after crews — once 300-strong, but in the process of being demobilized Friday — completed mopping up remaining hot spots. The fire was burning amid the pinyon, juniper, sagebrush and grass in the Hamlin Valley area along the Nevada-Utah border, about 25 miles northeast of Caliente, Nev.

Wildfires keeping crews busy across southcentral Utah.
The White Rock Fire was begun by lightning on June 1. On June 2, an air tanker crash killed two Idaho pilots. National Transportation Safety Board investigators have been at the crash site this past week trying to determine a cause.

More than 400 firefighters were pulling out all the stops in trying to bring to heel the Lost Lake Fire, southwest of the Wayne County town of Teasdale. GPS mapping revised the size of that blaze to just over 1,900 acres, down from an earlier estimate of 2,300. Interagency Fire Center spokesman Jason Curry said Friday that the fire was 10 percent contained.

"We don't have an estimate for when it will be fully contained. The wind events expected this weekend make that sort of a wild-card situation," he said. "If we get past the wind, then we'll have a better idea."

Curry said a voluntary evacuation of six summer homes along the fire's edge remained in place.

By Friday afternoon, crews battling the flames in grass and timber expected a big boost with five large "Type I" water-bearing helicopters expected to join the fray. "Those heavy helicopters can dump a lot of water on the fire," Curry said.

The Lake Creek Fire in Garfield County, about 10 miles northwest of Boulder and 15 miles north of Escalante, had topped 1,100 acres. About 120 firefighters were battling that blaze. There was no estimate for its containment.

#65368 - 06/09/12 08:01 PM Re: Prescribed Burns [Re: Advocacy group]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Good thing they burned it before it happend naturally!
Carfeull there in Gardener, the flames are almost there!

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored