Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 2 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#65523 - 06/19/12 02:22 PM Re: "The Wall" at Mokuleia CLOSED [Re: Advocacy group]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Now as the result of a tragic accident, they're forced to review the activity and hopefully for the local climbing community, make positive and appropriate adjustments to their master plan.

Climbing a classic 5.10 at the Mokuleia crag on Oa
Photo: Marc Bourdon

After a crazy climbing trip to Turkey, we were ready for some tropical sun and sand, and with relatives living in Hawaii, we didn't have to look far. But what many people don't know is there's actually decent climbing on the island of Oahu. Currently, there are two main climbing options: the bouldering at Waimea Bay and the cliffs at Mokuleia. The bouldering at Waimea is smooth basalt with pockets, edges and jugs, and the sport climbing at Mokuleia is also basalt, but this time it's formed into columns.

About 40 routes exist from 5.7 to 5.13- and the climbing is predominantly up corners and on smooth, technical aretes. Apparently, a new guidebook to the climbing on the island is on the way, and that would really open up the options for visitors. Watch for it. Interestingly, there's also a new climbing gym in Honolulu, although it will likely pale in comparison to some of the major gyms found across North America. Still, if you need a workout...

If you are a climber, it's definitely worth bringing a rope and draws to the island if you need your climbing fix. If not, simply take in the incredible scenery, beaches and hiking.

Edited by donald perry (06/19/12 02:40 PM)

#65524 - 06/19/12 02:26 PM Re: "The Wall" at Mokuleia CLOSED [Re: donald perry]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
nice.

#65525 - 06/19/12 02:30 PM Re: "The Wall" at Mokuleia CLOSED [Re: donald perry]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I think my world would have been much less appealing if all danger had been removed. The many potential benefits of activities such a climbing for this next generation are well documented and further proof is the vast amount of money our nation spends exposing our youth to it every year. While we would like to shield our kids from all harm, this is exactly the opposite of what they need in order to learn to self-manage as they become increasingly responsible. No one would propose putting children in a situation where they will definitely be hurt but teaching them to manage risk is extreamely important.

#65526 - 06/19/12 02:58 PM Re: "The Wall" at Mokuleia CLOSED [Re: chip]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: chip
No one would propose putting children in a situation where they will definitely be hurt but teaching them to manage risk is extreamely important.

Most rockclimbers don't know what to do with loose rocks or how to manage them, but this is the way all cliffs are in the beginning. For example, the Palisades and road cuts can be loose. When I first started climbing it was on a lot of basalt. On basalt cliffs you start at the top and work your way down first removing all the loose rocks. On some rock you need to do this every year. When you get to a handhold on basalt you need to look for cracks to understand what you are holding on to, if it is a loose rock. If it looks questionable you don't play with it, you don't test it out, you leave it alone. The reason for this is, if you test it and then it comes loose then you may not be able to hold it in place. If your are going to test it be prepaired to drop it. But this is something that needs to be done from the top down, and with a spotter on the ground with communication.

Climbing, like race car driving, is really an adult sport. Unless it is a climbing gym.

Rock Climbing in Hawaii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvTHeBJ_gkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afI58PRmTJ0&feature=related

Edited by donald perry (06/19/12 03:19 PM)

#65527 - 06/19/12 03:11 PM Re: "The Wall" at Mokuleia CLOSED [Re: donald perry]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

But in your own words..

Originally Posted By: donald perry

I would suggest at this point if clubs where formed in MOKULEIA, Hawaii that carried insurance and were responsible that should solve the problem.

...and now you're advocating trundling/active management, when all we needed previously was insurance and a responsible club?

Maybe you should develop a comprehensive master plan that includes all of these elements, and also addresses random helicopter crashes, fluoride, nuclear meltdown and HIV. Don't forget to include plenty of free parking....

#65528 - 06/19/12 03:19 PM Re: "The Wall" at Mokuleia CLOSED [Re: ianmanger]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Originally Posted By: ianmanger
But in your own words..

I would suggest at this point if clubs where formed in MOKULEIA, Hawaii that carried insurance and were responsible that should solve the problem.

...and now you're advocating trundling/active management, when all we needed previously was insurance and a responsible club?

Maybe you should develop a comprehensive master plan that includes all of these elements, and also addresses random helicopter crashes, fluoride, nuclear meltdown and HIV. Don't forget to include plenty of free parking....

TICKS, Don't forget the TICKS!

#65529 - 06/19/12 03:24 PM Re: "The Wall" at Mokuleia CLOSED [Re: ianmanger]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: ianmanger
But in your own words..

Well, I think if there was origination than there would be cliff maintenance too. That's what that pile of choss at the top of the cliff down needs. That's one of the main reason for loose rocks falling off the cliff at any given time.

The tenticals of Redirectionalism at Millbrook reached far and wide, and all the rocks were removed as far as could be found. And when we climbed, it was not over the top of our belay.

Edited by donald perry (06/19/12 05:54 PM)

#65553 - 06/21/12 03:51 AM Re: "The Wall" at Mokuleia CLOSED [Re: donald perry]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
I believe that the state is trying to be responsible ... I would suggest at this point if clubs where formed in MOKULEIA, Hawaii that carried insurance and were responsible that should solve the problem.

Reopening the wall would solve the problem too. Again why don't Hawaiians select surfing over climbing as too dangerous?

#65563 - 06/21/12 03:57 PM Re: "The Wall" at Mokuleia CLOSED [Re: Mark Heyman]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Originally Posted By: Mark Heyman
I believe that the state is trying to be responsible ... I would suggest at this point if clubs where formed in MOKULEIA, Hawaii that carried insurance and were responsible that should solve the problem.

Reopening the wall would solve the problem too. Again why don't Hawaiians select surfing over climbing as too dangerous?

That's a rhetorical question, right? Imagine Hawaii closing their shores to surfing? It's so ingrained into their culture, economics, history as to be a cornerstone of their entire society.

I suppose they'll do their due diligence, and eventually reopen the crag.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored