Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#65755 - 06/28/12 04:44 AM Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12
Zzr Offline
stranger

Loc: NYC
A heads up for all - my wife (six months pregnant), I, and my pup were out for an easy weekday of climbing and were finishing up on yellow ridge at the Nears around 5:30 when we heard what we thought was a large branch falling from a tree maybe ten feet from us. After moving a little farther from the tree, we continued to hear and see branches crashing down. It wasn't till I led up to the second belay that I heard voices at the top of the cliff then saw a large block (maybe 75 lbs) sail past me, impacting exactly on the spot my wife was sitting a few moments before.

We heard voices laughing that seemed to be leaving. After hiding under the overhang for a while, my wife left for the road to find a ranger. She didn't find a ranger but did see four young looking people (three guys and a girl) walking on the side of the road towards the hairpin. After she got back, I rapped off (left a bunch of tricams up there) and we got the hell out of there.

We can't be positive those kids did it, but I strongly suspect it. We'll let the reserve know tomorrow (maybe the police?), but keep your eyes open and beware.

#65757 - 06/28/12 07:05 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Zzr]
TerrieM Online   content
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Woah - SO glad nobody was hurt. It's really frightening to think that some people don't get how incredibly stupid trundling can be.

#65758 - 06/28/12 07:15 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: TerrieM]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
On the oft chance they might have posted their actions I went to youtube. Holy shit, lots of assholes out there tossing rocks off of things. Cliffs, bridges, building, mountainsides.

Very glad you and everyone else are safe.

Hopefully, they'll not be a next time, but should that occur, get vocal, real loud, very loud. If you could hear their voices, they'd have heard you screaming violent epitaphs their way. Get a cell photo of them scurrying away, or license number etc. if at all possible.

Again, very glad you are both (& baby to be) are safe.

#65759 - 06/28/12 07:43 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Rickster]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Glad you were not directly in the line of fire.

#65761 - 06/28/12 08:25 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: chip]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Yeah a license plate and description of the suspected individuals would be very helpful. That behavior constitutes reckless endangerment, if the subjects were aware that there were people below. At the very least, it is disorderly conduct, and a small amount of court time can correct behavior that constitutes a public hazard.

#65762 - 06/28/12 09:14 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: RangerRob]
Valpine Offline
journeyman

Loc: W.Sand Lake, NY
I and a partner had a similar experience in that same area of the Nears earlier this year. We were packing up after a climb and heard rocks coming through the trees and landing a bit farther out from where we were. We yelled up several times but the rocks kept falling. Finally a larger one landed less than ten feet from where we were standing. My partner became irate and walked around to the top of the Nears to confront the throwers. He told me that when he got up there he found a group of teens sitting on the edge of the cliff smoking pot. He started yelling at them explaining how there actions could kill anyone below. Supposedly one of them had an attitude and continued to smoke his bowl. My partner slapped the bowl out of his mouth and really gave it to them. Most of the teens became very apologetic when they realized a physical confrontation might take place. It never got any farther than that. When we were working out we saw the group returning to their car at that small parking area along the road. We had planned on stopping at the ranger cabin but figured they would be long gone by the time we even got to the cabin.

I wonder if it is the same group. If so something needs to be done to stop this. After reading this I feel bad that we did not report our incident.

ZZr, perhaps we should both call the preserve and let them know what happened just so they are aware that there is a serial problem.

Edited by Valpine (06/28/12 09:19 PM)

#65763 - 06/28/12 09:17 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Valpine]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Valpine,

By small parking lot, do you mean the "handicapped" parking close by the cabin,or the overlook down the hill to the east. Not that it matters much, it could be clue should such a group follow the same "MO".

#65764 - 06/28/12 09:20 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Rickster]
Valpine Offline
journeyman

Loc: W.Sand Lake, NY
Originally Posted By: Rickster
Valpine,

By small parking lot, do you mean the "handicapped" parking close by the cabin,or the overlook down the hill to the east. Not that it matters much, it could be clue should such a group follow the same "MO".

The overlook parking area.

#65765 - 06/28/12 10:36 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Valpine]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Originally Posted By: Valpine
perhaps we should both call the preserve and let them know what happened just so they are aware that there is a serial problem.

Might be OK at MP, but anywhere else in the east I'd say no. They can't police the whole cliff line. The solution won't be to stop trundling, and it won't be one we like.

Edited by Mark Heyman (06/28/12 10:36 PM)

#65766 - 06/28/12 10:57 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Mark Heyman]
keith Offline
journeyman

Loc: The beach
We had a similar incident out at arching rocks. Me and the wife were out there with our 6 month old and rocks started to come from the top with laughter from some kids.I began my tyraid and ran up to the top and confronted the group. They were apologetic and quite frightened after poppa bear came up the trail full of rage. They came within ten feet of hitting my son i would have committed hairy carry if they hit him!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored