Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#65768 - 06/29/12 03:04 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: keith]
Zzr Offline
stranger

Loc: NYC
Just to clarify - I don't believe this was accidental. Given how much yelling we did after the first big rock hit the tree, I am certain the people responsible continued kicking rocks intentionally. The final rock couldn't have been aimed any better to kill my wife, it landed exactly where she was sitting minutes before. Nor were these pebbles or even fist sized rocks, I'd guess these stones were twenty pounds or more. The last, which you can probably still see at the base (I'll post a pic when we get home), was easily thirty or forty pounds.

I've reported this incident to the rangers and will make a police report when I figure out who to do it with. Valpine, I encourage you to do the same, especially as you may have a decent description of them.

Someone will be killed if these incidents continue and, all due respect Rangerrob, this isn't misdemeanor territory.

Sorry to be such a downer, I'm still furious about this near tragedy. Stay safe, everyone!

#65769 - 06/29/12 03:43 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Zzr]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Zzr, you should be furious. I'm glad you're reporting to police. Please keep us updated. I'm so glad all three of you are okay.

Life & death have to trump access concerns.

#65771 - 06/29/12 05:32 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Julie]
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks
I stopped two kids ages 10-12 from the top of Sky Top one day who were throwing rocks directly where they were hiking a minute prior. Stupid parents weren't stopping them. I hollered at the top of my lungs (and I have a good voice) to stop throwing rocks. They stopped, of course. But the parents said nothing to the kids. Stupid stupid stupid.

Be safe everyone and thanks for the warning. Maybe the Preserve can put a sign "Please don't throw rocks as you may kill a climber" ? I've seen worse stupid signs (ex. "Don't Litter")...

#65772 - 06/29/12 06:33 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Zzr]
tallgirlnyc Offline

Loc: Cold Spring NY
I am so happy you are okay! Scary and so unnecessary!

I was on Roger's Rock a couple years ago when large rocks came hurtling down on our left. We screamed up that there were climbers below and it mercifully stopped.

I do think that more ranger presence on the top of the Nears would be a good thing. Out of all of the areas on the preserve it usually is the place where I see groups of teens/young adults "partying". At least if a ranger is seen occasionally, a figure of authority, it may be a deterrent.

#65773 - 06/30/12 05:25 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: keith]
Lucander Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Stone Ridge, NY
So glad to be in Montana, where there's no humidity or hoodlums.

#65775 - 06/30/12 06:08 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Lucander]
tallgirlnyc Offline

Loc: Cold Spring NY
Originally Posted By: Lucander
So glad to be in Montana, where there's no humidity or hoodlums.

:-)

#65783 - 07/02/12 03:16 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: keith]
worthrussell Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY, Brooklyn
I was vals partner when those kids were tossing rocks. I lost my temper and was ready to Do some trundling of my own. The kids claimed ignorance but were definitely local high schoolers. 15-17 yrs old a few boys and a girl. I would be willing to bet its the same group of stoners. My word of advice is if the happens again go up and drop the hammer. A good old fashioned ass kicking will straighten these little peckers out. Tall girl you sure it was Rogers rock? It's pretty inaccessible, i have zero clue home to get up there, unless climbing and the boat approach keeps most morons away?

#65785 - 07/02/12 12:29 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: worthrussell]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Originally Posted By: worthrussell
......you sure it was Roger's rock? It's pretty inaccessible, i have zero clue home to get up there, unless climbing and the boat approach keeps most morons away?

I remember a trail. So, I checked the guide.

There is a short, 1.1 mile, red blazed foot trail from the campground to Roger's summit and an overlook almost immediately above the slabs. This trail may even cross high above the Campground Wall as well.

Info in AMC Guide to Adirondack Trails 6, Eastern Region.

#65788 - 07/02/12 05:41 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Rickster]
Dana Offline
addict

Yes, it was Roger's Rock; I was there.

#65880 - 07/13/12 04:28 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Mim]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Originally Posted By: Mim
Be safe everyone and thanks for the warning. Maybe the Preserve can put a sign "Please don't throw rocks as you may kill a climber" ? I've seen worse stupid signs (ex. "Don't Litter")...

Like this one at Whitehorse!

GO

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored