Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#65755 - 06/28/12 04:44 AM Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12
Zzr Offline
stranger

Loc: NYC
A heads up for all - my wife (six months pregnant), I, and my pup were out for an easy weekday of climbing and were finishing up on yellow ridge at the Nears around 5:30 when we heard what we thought was a large branch falling from a tree maybe ten feet from us. After moving a little farther from the tree, we continued to hear and see branches crashing down. It wasn't till I led up to the second belay that I heard voices at the top of the cliff then saw a large block (maybe 75 lbs) sail past me, impacting exactly on the spot my wife was sitting a few moments before.

We heard voices laughing that seemed to be leaving. After hiding under the overhang for a while, my wife left for the road to find a ranger. She didn't find a ranger but did see four young looking people (three guys and a girl) walking on the side of the road towards the hairpin. After she got back, I rapped off (left a bunch of tricams up there) and we got the hell out of there.

We can't be positive those kids did it, but I strongly suspect it. We'll let the reserve know tomorrow (maybe the police?), but keep your eyes open and beware.

#65757 - 06/28/12 07:05 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Zzr]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Woah - SO glad nobody was hurt. It's really frightening to think that some people don't get how incredibly stupid trundling can be.

#65758 - 06/28/12 07:15 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: TerrieM]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
On the oft chance they might have posted their actions I went to youtube. Holy shit, lots of assholes out there tossing rocks off of things. Cliffs, bridges, building, mountainsides.

Very glad you and everyone else are safe.

Hopefully, they'll not be a next time, but should that occur, get vocal, real loud, very loud. If you could hear their voices, they'd have heard you screaming violent epitaphs their way. Get a cell photo of them scurrying away, or license number etc. if at all possible.

Again, very glad you are both (& baby to be) are safe.

#65759 - 06/28/12 07:43 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Rickster]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Glad you were not directly in the line of fire.

#65761 - 06/28/12 08:25 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: chip]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Yeah a license plate and description of the suspected individuals would be very helpful. That behavior constitutes reckless endangerment, if the subjects were aware that there were people below. At the very least, it is disorderly conduct, and a small amount of court time can correct behavior that constitutes a public hazard.

#65762 - 06/28/12 09:14 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: RangerRob]
Valpine Offline
journeyman

Loc: W.Sand Lake, NY
I and a partner had a similar experience in that same area of the Nears earlier this year. We were packing up after a climb and heard rocks coming through the trees and landing a bit farther out from where we were. We yelled up several times but the rocks kept falling. Finally a larger one landed less than ten feet from where we were standing. My partner became irate and walked around to the top of the Nears to confront the throwers. He told me that when he got up there he found a group of teens sitting on the edge of the cliff smoking pot. He started yelling at them explaining how there actions could kill anyone below. Supposedly one of them had an attitude and continued to smoke his bowl. My partner slapped the bowl out of his mouth and really gave it to them. Most of the teens became very apologetic when they realized a physical confrontation might take place. It never got any farther than that. When we were working out we saw the group returning to their car at that small parking area along the road. We had planned on stopping at the ranger cabin but figured they would be long gone by the time we even got to the cabin.

I wonder if it is the same group. If so something needs to be done to stop this. After reading this I feel bad that we did not report our incident.

ZZr, perhaps we should both call the preserve and let them know what happened just so they are aware that there is a serial problem.

Edited by Valpine (06/28/12 09:19 PM)

#65763 - 06/28/12 09:17 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Valpine]
old hand

Valpine,

By small parking lot, do you mean the "handicapped" parking close by the cabin,or the overlook down the hill to the east. Not that it matters much, it could be clue should such a group follow the same "MO".

#65764 - 06/28/12 09:20 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Rickster]
Valpine Offline
journeyman

Loc: W.Sand Lake, NY
Originally Posted By: Rickster
Valpine,

By small parking lot, do you mean the "handicapped" parking close by the cabin,or the overlook down the hill to the east. Not that it matters much, it could be clue should such a group follow the same "MO".

The overlook parking area.

#65765 - 06/28/12 10:36 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Valpine]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Originally Posted By: Valpine
perhaps we should both call the preserve and let them know what happened just so they are aware that there is a serial problem.

Might be OK at MP, but anywhere else in the east I'd say no. They can't police the whole cliff line. The solution won't be to stop trundling, and it won't be one we like.

Edited by Mark Heyman (06/28/12 10:36 PM)

#65766 - 06/28/12 10:57 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Mark Heyman]
keith Offline
journeyman

Loc: The beach
We had a similar incident out at arching rocks. Me and the wife were out there with our 6 month old and rocks started to come from the top with laughter from some kids.I began my tyraid and ran up to the top and confronted the group. They were apologetic and quite frightened after poppa bear came up the trail full of rage. They came within ten feet of hitting my son i would have committed hairy carry if they hit him!

#65768 - 06/29/12 03:04 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: keith]
Zzr Offline
stranger

Loc: NYC
Just to clarify - I don't believe this was accidental. Given how much yelling we did after the first big rock hit the tree, I am certain the people responsible continued kicking rocks intentionally. The final rock couldn't have been aimed any better to kill my wife, it landed exactly where she was sitting minutes before. Nor were these pebbles or even fist sized rocks, I'd guess these stones were twenty pounds or more. The last, which you can probably still see at the base (I'll post a pic when we get home), was easily thirty or forty pounds.

I've reported this incident to the rangers and will make a police report when I figure out who to do it with. Valpine, I encourage you to do the same, especially as you may have a decent description of them.

Someone will be killed if these incidents continue and, all due respect Rangerrob, this isn't misdemeanor territory.

Sorry to be such a downer, I'm still furious about this near tragedy. Stay safe, everyone!

#65769 - 06/29/12 03:43 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Zzr]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Zzr, you should be furious. I'm glad you're reporting to police. Please keep us updated. I'm so glad all three of you are okay.

Life & death have to trump access concerns.

#65771 - 06/29/12 05:32 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Julie]
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks
I stopped two kids ages 10-12 from the top of Sky Top one day who were throwing rocks directly where they were hiking a minute prior. Stupid parents weren't stopping them. I hollered at the top of my lungs (and I have a good voice) to stop throwing rocks. They stopped, of course. But the parents said nothing to the kids. Stupid stupid stupid.

Be safe everyone and thanks for the warning. Maybe the Preserve can put a sign "Please don't throw rocks as you may kill a climber" ? I've seen worse stupid signs (ex. "Don't Litter")...

#65772 - 06/29/12 06:33 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Zzr]
tallgirlnyc Offline

Loc: Cold Spring NY
I am so happy you are okay! Scary and so unnecessary!

I was on Roger's Rock a couple years ago when large rocks came hurtling down on our left. We screamed up that there were climbers below and it mercifully stopped.

I do think that more ranger presence on the top of the Nears would be a good thing. Out of all of the areas on the preserve it usually is the place where I see groups of teens/young adults "partying". At least if a ranger is seen occasionally, a figure of authority, it may be a deterrent.

#65773 - 06/30/12 05:25 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: keith]
Lucander Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Stone Ridge, NY
So glad to be in Montana, where there's no humidity or hoodlums.

#65775 - 06/30/12 06:08 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Lucander]
tallgirlnyc Offline

Loc: Cold Spring NY
Originally Posted By: Lucander
So glad to be in Montana, where there's no humidity or hoodlums.

:-)

#65783 - 07/02/12 03:16 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: keith]
worthrussell Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY, Brooklyn
I was vals partner when those kids were tossing rocks. I lost my temper and was ready to Do some trundling of my own. The kids claimed ignorance but were definitely local high schoolers. 15-17 yrs old a few boys and a girl. I would be willing to bet its the same group of stoners. My word of advice is if the happens again go up and drop the hammer. A good old fashioned ass kicking will straighten these little peckers out. Tall girl you sure it was Rogers rock? It's pretty inaccessible, i have zero clue home to get up there, unless climbing and the boat approach keeps most morons away?

#65785 - 07/02/12 12:29 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: worthrussell]
old hand

Originally Posted By: worthrussell
......you sure it was Roger's rock? It's pretty inaccessible, i have zero clue home to get up there, unless climbing and the boat approach keeps most morons away?

I remember a trail. So, I checked the guide.

There is a short, 1.1 mile, red blazed foot trail from the campground to Roger's summit and an overlook almost immediately above the slabs. This trail may even cross high above the Campground Wall as well.

Info in AMC Guide to Adirondack Trails 6, Eastern Region.

#65788 - 07/02/12 05:41 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Rickster]
Dana Offline
addict

Yes, it was Roger's Rock; I was there.

#65880 - 07/13/12 04:28 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Mim]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Originally Posted By: Mim
Be safe everyone and thanks for the warning. Maybe the Preserve can put a sign "Please don't throw rocks as you may kill a climber" ? I've seen worse stupid signs (ex. "Don't Litter")...

Like this one at Whitehorse!

GO

#65885 - 07/13/12 05:59 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: GOclimb]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nice! My favorite is the sign with the guy slipping off the cliff that seems pervasive out west.

#65897 - 07/15/12 02:02 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: GOclimb]
Coppertone Online   content
old hand

Loc: Newtown, CT
Isn't that the top of Cathedral? There is no road or look out on top of Whitehorse.

#65925 - 07/17/12 07:45 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Coppertone]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Originally Posted By: Coppertone
Isn't that the top of Cathedral? There is no road or look out on top of Whitehorse.

Yes of course, my mistake.

GO

#66167 - 08/13/12 02:58 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: GOclimb]
Hooker02 Offline
stranger

A couple teens were throwing full beer cans and rocks down on the wrong climbers this morning, I don't think they'll do it again.

#66168 - 08/13/12 01:33 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Hooker02]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am glad you were able to let them see the error of their ways. Truthfully, most kids just don't have a clue.

#66170 - 08/13/12 04:43 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Hooker02]
old hand

Originally Posted By: Hooker02
A couple teens were throwing full beer cans and rocks down on the wrong climbers this morning, I don't think they'll do it again.

It was early on Sunday and we were over on Birdland when we hear the glass breaking. We then heard some loud screaming. When we walked off and went by it must have been you that told us that there was glass and to be careful. When I asked if you kicked their ass you said that it was taken care of. We walked off a few more times and did not see any blood or signs of the bodies, so you guys did a nice job of stashing them.

Thank you for agressively deterring this behavior.

#66171 - 08/14/12 01:59 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Hooker02]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
Originally Posted By: Hooker02

what kinda fucking morons would waste beer like that. unless it was cream ale i really dont understand. thanks for your actions.

#66172 - 08/14/12 02:10 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: crimpy]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Please tell me you were able to get them written for trespass and disorderly conduct.

#66181 - 08/16/12 02:21 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: RangerRob]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
not all retribution must happen with the pen and paper, rob. we can close our hands into a fist for more than 1 reason.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#66182 - 08/16/12 02:23 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: empicard]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

violence begets violence my friend

#66184 - 08/16/12 02:35 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: RangerRob]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
only when 1. the primary recipient of said violence is left alive, and 2. there's evidence...
shocked

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#66185 - 08/16/12 03:57 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: empicard]
old hand

It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

#66188 - 08/16/12 06:02 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Coppertone]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
I am totally with Rob on this one. The trouble with decent people trying violence as a solution is that they are rarely up for the escalations that indecent or unstable people are all too willing to engage in.

Call the Preserve Headquarters at (845) 255-0919. Put in in yer cell phone where you can find it. Ask for ranger help asap. Put in a 911 call. Make sure the operator understands there is illegal activity with possibly fatal consequences going on. If this is an ongoing problem, the police have to keep hearing about it. If the offenders can be kept there until authorities arrive, so much the better. Get pictures of them if possible. If they can be followed to their vehicle, get make/model/plate numbers.

Beat them up and suddenly you're the criminal, Sparky. Plus it's a tossup whether they leave for good or come back for revenge---unless of course you kill them, in which case your life is over too.

In any case, those of you who have had this experience need to urgently contact the Preserve. It may be time for some signage, and they may need more of a ranger presence up there.

#66192 - 08/16/12 02:37 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: rg@ofmc]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: rg@ofmc
It may be time for some signage, and they may need more of a ranger presence up there.

This. Although I dislike signs, it seems that some areas do need them - top of Cathedral Ledge and Half Dome for example - since throwing stuff off the top with climbers below is usually the result of stupidity and ignorance, not menace.

#66194 - 08/16/12 05:08 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: retroscree]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
If we had a "Don't throw things off" sign, visiting climbers could have the same souvenir photos as other places. So - make sure the signs are positioned in a way as to take advantage of the scenic view towards Skytop!

Or maybe a variation of the May Encounter sign... "You may encounter violently angry climbers if you throw objects off the cliff." And then in smaller size font, "Thrown objects have the potential to hit climbers below, which may injure or kill them. DON'T throw things!"

#66195 - 08/16/12 06:49 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: TerrieM]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

tighter control of the overlook parking lot may help as i doubt these teens paid any day use fee.

#66203 - 08/17/12 02:01 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: crimpy]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
I did not post anything about this before because I was not surprised. In years past there have always been people throwing beer bottles and rocks off the top of there. I think for the most part this is mostly just kids who really have nothing to do with their life and have no real understand of rock climbing. They just want to throw stuff off of cliffs. So, instinctively I have always had funny feelings about climbing under fat city, especially if I hear people laughing on top of the cliff. It happens, especially there.

#66205 - 08/17/12 03:05 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: donald perry]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
We found a beer can when topping out on Te Dum this weekend. It was on a ledge accessible by down climbing so seemed like it was tossed from higher up. What made it worse is that is was a Miller Lite can.

#66206 - 08/17/12 09:42 AM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: The Lisa]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
What made it worse is that is was a Miller Lite can.

Why?

#66207 - 08/17/12 02:19 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: oenophore]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Originally Posted By: oenophore

Why?

Um... because it tastes like ass?

#66209 - 08/17/12 02:30 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Smike]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Originally Posted By: Smike

Why?

Shall I take it then that you're familiar with the taste of ass?

#66211 - 08/17/12 02:46 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: oenophore]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

like your favorite bottle of yellowtail...
Originally Posted By: Smike

Why?

Shall I take it then that you're familiar with the taste of ass?

#66213 - 08/17/12 05:12 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: crimpy]
Adrian Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: crimpy

That's racialist!

#66221 - 08/17/12 07:37 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Adrian]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Red Alert, Trolls on the loose.

Edited by donald perry (08/17/12 07:37 PM)

#66223 - 08/17/12 08:18 PM Re: Almost killed on Yellow Ridge 6.28.12 [Re: Adrian]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

My friend jimmy says im frevajist!
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Originally Posted By: crimpy

That's racialist!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored