Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 6 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 86 of 90 < 1 2 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 >
Topic Options
#6601 - 06/29/04 08:53 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: MarcC]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
So who is going to write Gunks.com for Dummies?

#6602 - 06/30/04 02:56 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: oenophore]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
So who is going to write Gunks.com for Dummies?

I'll start it as soon as I complete

High E for Dummies

#6603 - 06/30/04 04:18 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: MarcC]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:

Quote:

Is it too hard to do the steps? No, but, it's obviously too hard for this bunch of consumers, as evidenced by the near-complete drop in photo posting on this site.

To put a finer point on it.....
It's not a matter of being too difficult or that the users of this site are too dumb. Instead, the benefit provided is not great enough to make the effort worthwhile.

The cognitive task of navigation to the right places in the correct order, copy/paste the proper item to the appropriate place, etc. puts up a series of roadblocks in allowing the site user to accomplish his/her goal - easily sharing a photo with others in the forum. It's the same underlying reason why lots of very intelligent people have VCRs at home flashing 12:00 and why one of the reasons Tivo has become so popular. A VCR has simple steps - a lot of them - to set the time and program it to record a show whereas the steps with Tivo are almost a 1:1 mapping to the goal of "record my favorite show".

Quote:

It don't matter what the product-developers think, it matters what the consumers do.

That encapsulates it perfectly. Adding my favorite two:

"The interface is the product"
"If the user can't find it, the function (or feature) doesn't exist."

You guys keep talking about "product." But I have a hard time seeing Gunks.com as a product I'm being offered to purchase. It's essentially a free service ... with a few ads.

There's no reason why we can't gripe and/or request for better designed functions on this site. But I do think we have to keep some perspective.

#6604 - 06/30/04 04:46 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

You guys keep talking about "product." But I have a hard time seeing Gunks.com as a product I'm being offered to purchase. It's essentially a free service ... with a few ads.

Perhaps not a product from the perspective of the discussion forum users, but for a paying advertiser who is looking for a maximal number of ad impressions for his/her $$$, it most definitely is.

Quote:

There's no reason why we can't gripe and/or request for better designed functions on this site. But I do think we have to keep some perspective.

That's why I tried to be careful about not saying this, this, and that should be changed. Evan's value proposition needs consideration at least as much as ours if not more so.

#6605 - 07/02/04 04:41 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: MarcC]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
Back in action ...

Power Station 10b / Malibu Creek, CA

#6606 - 07/05/04 07:35 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
Daniel Offline
veteran

Did the Kelso Ridge on Torreys Peak in Colorado last week. Weather was marginal, and nothing focuses the mind like being part way up a Class 3 ridge, wondering if you're really on-route, and knowing you have to get yourself up and over before the weather gets worse. Here's a photo of the "notorious" knife-edge near the top; the two guys in the photo said they're not sure they would have known what to do there if I hadn't joined them, because it's easy to think that it can't be on-route (I did my homework on the Internet, so I knew it was).

Have to say that Class 3 in Colorado was a little more than I expected (more because of routefinding than anything else), so I was glad to run into them as well!

#6607 - 07/12/04 06:30 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Here's a few from a recent trip to Utah...

The Fiery Furnace area of Arches Nat'l park has some pretty sweet arches. You wander through the maze of slots to find them.

The Fiery Furnace area of Arches Nat'l park is comprised of many thin ridges and fingers of rock. Overwhelmed by the scenery, my model decides to take a nap.

On the Colorado River, just before reaching Lake Powell, in Narrow Canyon, this tremendously imposing cliff shoots up directly out of the Colorado river.

My hardest trad onsight to date, Goodro's is a top-notch route. Highly polished rock forces you to use the crack... or else! Here we see Peter cleaning my lead. You can see how steep the climb is by the gear hanging off his harness. Near zero approach, in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

#6608 - 07/12/04 09:14 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: GOclimb]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
Nice Gabe. Big Cottonwood sure is better than it looks from the road, eh?

#6609 - 07/13/04 01:52 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: andrew]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Quote:

Nice Gabe. Big Cottonwood sure is better than it looks from the road, eh?

Sure is!

By the way, there's a six of homebrew heading your way as soon as I get my shit together.

GO

#6610 - 07/13/04 07:07 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: GOclimb]
Coppertone Offline
old hand

Loc: Newtown, CT
Is that "slick" rock in Big Cottonwood desert varnish? Looks similar to Red Rocks.

Page 86 of 90 < 1 2 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored