Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 87 of 90 < 1 2 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 >
Topic Options
#6611 - 07/13/04 07:10 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: Coppertone]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
big cottonwood is quartzite. some of it has great friction, but other parts feel like climbing on soapy glass. all the crags look like rubble piles, but the climbing is sure fun, and it is 10 minutes from my house.

looking forward to the 6er - coming out west to give it? i've got a terrific ESB and an acceptable red ale on tap.

#6612 - 07/14/04 05:52 AM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: Coppertone]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Quote:

Is that "slick" rock in Big Cottonwood desert varnish? Looks similar to Red Rocks.

No, like andrew said, it's quartzite, and while I don't know exactly the cause, it's a lot like the glacial polish you'll see in some places in yosemite. Honestly, the rock on Goodro's looks almost like it has been polished by a jewler.

Andrew, I _wish_, but no, just the beer. It's a decent IPA - I think you'll find it sevicable!

GO

#6613 - 07/14/04 11:08 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: GOclimb]
GwenL Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Reno, NV
How do I link a posted photo (on the photo gallery) to this thread?

I posted some new photos a few months ago, but it seems that not many people visit the photo gallery. So I lost interest. We used to have a lot of action and enthusiasm on this thread. I think it's because it was easy for the poster to describe the experience/trip/location and show the photo, and equally easy for everyone else to see the picture, and comment.

What I'd like to do is post a message on this thread, with a link to the photo I'm discussing or showing.

Thanks
Gwen

#6614 - 07/14/04 11:26 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: GwenL]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
See MarcC's description on page 42 of this thread.

#6615 - 07/15/04 10:43 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: rg@ofmc]
GwenL Offline
enthusiast

I don't see a post by MarcC on page 42.

I had hoped this would be easy. I guess not.

#6616 - 07/15/04 10:54 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: GwenL]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Here's a direct link to my post that I think is the one RG is referring to. It's post #108814. I think page numbers depend on your personalized posts displayed per page setting. EG: I only show 18 pages for the whole thread, but I display 50 posts / page.

#6617 - 07/16/04 11:55 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: MarcC]
GwenL Offline
enthusiast

Well, that didn't link to anything except a blank page. I shouldn't have to do anything but click on it, should I?

Thanks anyways.

Gwen

#6618 - 07/17/04 08:33 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: GwenL]
chazman Offline
old hand

The link works fine for me when I click on it, here's the post...

I'm not sure folks aren't using it as there seems to be quite a few photos added after the implementation of the gallery software. IOW there are more photos than just the ones that existed on the site before the software. If people aren't using it, I'd guess that the perception among the users of this forum is that the new photo software and process has reduced the overall usability and usefullness of posting photos. In short, it makes a formerly simple process a lot more complex and it somewhat dissassociates the photos from the discussion forums.

The new photo gallery software is powerful and feature laden. It addresses issues such as controlling server space, categorizing images, keeping titles and descriptions associated with images - all things that were needed. However, there is now a separate place to go to on the site to look at photos. There is more effort involved in getting the URL of a photo to add to a forum post. There is a facility to comment/discuss each photo, but it does make discussion of a category a la "whatever photo de jour" with immediately referenced images more difficult. Folks may not like this change.

Before the gallery software, you could start / reply to a thread by posting "Hey, check out this photo of <really cool route> at <great area>.", hit the "attach file" button, select a file to upload, and be done. Now, for a person unfamiliar with the new software & process, like temporarily absent Lester LeBlanc was, the task flow is:

While reading the Non-Gunks Photo De Jour thread, LLB decides to reply to a post with a new photo. He clicks on "attach file" and realizes that the size limit is now 5K. What to do? He cancels out of the reply screen and sees the "Photo Gallery" link and tries that. So....

Click on Photo Gallery
On the gallery page, click on Upload Photos
Select a Category via a drop-down list box
Select a photo from his local drive by navigating it's tree structure
Click on the Upload / Submit button
View the Add Photos Select / Configure Properties screen (and possibly realize that a list of photos can be uploaded at once)
Check and/or reselct the Category
Optionally select Optional Category 1 and Optional Category 2 (all three categories have the same items in the drop-down list - it's unclear how the main category and the optional ones interact with each other)
Add (apparently optional) Title, Description, and Keywords
Click the Process button
View a message screen that states "No more images found. Click here to return to the main menu."
Arrive at the main Photo Gallery menu screen

OK, now that the photo is uploaded, time to return to the original task - replying to a forum post with an attached photo. So LLB clicks either Main Index or Discussion from the site header, re-navigates to the correct form and topic and locates the post he wanted to reply to. He clicks on Reply, enters some text, and.......wonders how to find out the url of the image he just uploaded.

LLB navigates back to the photo gallery, clicks on the catagory he uploaded to and sees his photo there. There's info listed with the photo, but no url. He tries clicking on the photo and gets the original image which he notices has additional info and (currently empty) comments, including a UBB [img] tag with a url.

So now he copies the url to his clipboard, exits the gallery, renavigates (this would be the third time) to the discussion section, correct forum, proper topic, correct post, reenters his text (if it was extensive, did he remember to save it in a temporary doc somewhere to make the clipboard available to copy the url into?), and pastes in the UBB image reference. Finally he posts his reply.

All in all, a miserable user experience compared to what it had been. Even if a user knew the new task flow, there's a lot of extra work involved. This is NOT a matter of "user training" or "reading the instructions". It's a matter of sub-optimal design.

Given the constraints of using packaged software that can't be modified, and that this site may not even be breaking even let alone actually making money, I don't know if an improved solution exists or is worth the effort (= time = money) and I'm certainly not taking Evan to task over this. But it would sure be nice to be able to have a discussion topic that easily attaches/references images and isn't in a place separate from the disucssion forums (like the current photo comments feature).

#6619 - 07/17/04 11:55 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: chazman]
LesterLeBlanc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
Well, that's just gonna frighten poor Gwen from ever posting a photo ... and she's got some of the most killer shots around!

Let's boil it down simply:

1) Go to the Photo Gallery

2) Upload photo

3) once the photo is uploaded, right-click on the photo and select "Properties."

4) Highlight the URL address and select "copy."

5) Create a new post in the "Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour" thread.

6) Just below the text window for the new post, select "Image" from the Instant UBB Code box.

7) Paste the photo's URL address that you copied into the UBB Code box window that pops up. Click "OK."

8) Add any text to accompany photo.

It sounds more complicated than it is. After you do it once, you will probably find it fairly simple and fast.

Voila!

#6620 - 07/18/04 02:52 PM Colorado skiing in July [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO

We climbed and then skiied the couloir coming right off the summit that is partially blocked by my ski. Its the Grizzly Couloir on 13,988' Grizzly Peak near Aspen. 1200' of skiing, and the upper section averages 45-50 degrees(we measured it with a slope meter).

Page 87 of 90 < 1 2 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored