Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 7 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 88 of 90 < 1 2 ... 86 87 88 89 90 >
Topic Options
#6621 - 07/21/04 11:02 PM Re: Colorado skiing in July [Re: andrew]
GwenL Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Reno, NV
We'll see if this works.

This is a shot of the full moon setting in the U-notch colouir in the Palisades, right at dawn.

Gwen

Edited to add: well, how do I make it big enough for people to actually see the photo?

Edited by GwenL (07/21/04 11:03 PM)

#6622 - 07/22/04 12:20 AM Re: Colorado skiing in July [Re: GwenL]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Edited to add: well, how do I make it big enough for people to actually see the photo?

By pasting in the URL for the full size image you uploaded. The inline image in your post is the thumbnail automatically generated by the photo gallery software when you uploaded. (Unless you uploaded a thumbnail instead of the full image - I couldn't find the full-size version in the photo gallery).

So.....
* go to the photo gallery and find your image
* click on the thumbnail to go to the full size image
* scroll down below the image to the image info and find the line that is labeled "UBB Code"
* copy that code and paste it into your post

Remember that if everyone pastes in the url to their photos as an inline image reference (so that the image displays directly in the post).......
* it will take a loooooooooong time for folks on dial-up connections - so much that they might never bother to view this thread
* bandwidth usage will greatly increase for the gunks.com server, costing Evan $$$

Therefore, as nice as it is for photos to display in the post, it might be better for everyone to just put the url of the image as a link, instead of placing it inside [ image ] UBB tags.

Oh, if your camera generates large images, it's probably a good idea to resize them down to maybe 800x600 or smaller with your photo editing software.

#6623 - 07/22/04 10:31 PM Re: Colorado skiing in July [Re: MarcC]
GwenL Offline
enthusiast

Hmmm.

I did not upload a "thumbnail," at least I didn't intend to. I thought I uploaded to "members galleries" but I can't find the photo there either. i'm trying it again.

At the same time, I'd prefer to just post a link with my "photo du jour" posting. Seems like it'd be just as easy for the viewer as clicking on the old "attachment" link at the top of the post.

I could not get that to work. How does that work? Posting a link, that is.

Thanks
Gwen

#6624 - 07/23/04 02:17 AM Re: Colorado skiing in July [Re: GwenL]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
Gwen:

You're right, you did not upload a thumbnail image. What Marc was saying is that once you uploaded your photo to the Gallery, the Gallery automatically creates a thumbnail image to use in its menus. What you did was copy and paste the URL from the thumbnail. What you want to do is copy and paste the URL from the full-size photo. Which just means going to the gallery and clicking until you get the full-size photo displayed on your screen, then right-clicking it, select "Properties" as you did before and then copy and pasting the URL info to the UBB Code in a post.

If you'd like to try the clickable link method that Marc suggested, you simply copy and paste the photo's URL and use the "URL" UBB Code tag instead of the "Image" UBB tag.

Like so:

Grand Teton Summit

PS: I looked for your photo in the Gallery and did not find it. Somehow the upload didn't take or it got placed in a different area or it just went missing.

#6625 - 07/23/04 11:34 PM Re: Colorado skiing in July [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
GwenL Offline
enthusiast

I've uploaded the same photo twice into my member's gallery. I have no idea where it went. it doesn't appear under "last 7 days," so I have to assume it has gone somewhere permanently. I know I uploaded it; where else would I get that silly thumbprint?

I think if I try it again, and use the "URL," when the upload disappears, it will then be a bad link.

This is just getting too difficult and consuming far too much time. I wish we had a system that was as user friendly as the previous one.

Oh, well.

Gwen

#6626 - 07/24/04 12:30 AM Re: Colorado skiing in July [Re: GwenL]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Two possibilities are:
1) The photo you're trying to upload exceeds the file size limit of 80K.
2) With your existing photos already in the gallery, you may have exceeded the default per user disk space (I think it's 750K).

Doesn't the gallery software generate an appropriate message in either of those cases?

You can get more disk space by asking Evan - PM the Webmaster.

#6627 - 07/24/04 09:50 PM Re: Colorado skiing in July [Re: MarcC]
GwenL Offline
enthusiast

Quote:

Two possibilities are:
1) The photo you're trying to upload exceeds the file size limit of 80K.
2) With your existing photos already in the gallery, you may have exceeded the default per user disk space (I think it's 750K).

Neither of those are true.

Thanks, though.

Gwen

#6628 - 07/24/04 09:59 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: d-elvis]
GwenL Offline
enthusiast

OK, let's try this one more time. Hopefully, this is a link to a photo in the photo gallery. I took this on 4 July, from the Palisade glacier, right at dawn.

Gwen

U-Notch

#6629 - 07/24/04 10:56 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: GwenL]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
Worked perfectly!

I wrote to Evan to see if he'd be willing to increase my photo gallery allowance ... haven't heard back from him.

Maybe he's on vacation?

#6630 - 07/25/04 01:05 AM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
GwenL Offline
enthusiast

Well, flushed with success, she said, I'll try one more.

This is a volcano we climbed in April, Volcan Villarrica. It is active; that's smoke coming out of the cone. It's in Southern Chile, in the lake district. I took this picture the day prior during another hike; the weather was horrible when we climbed Villarrica. The normal route is on the other side, and has no crevasses, really just snowfields. I climbed the side in this picture three years ago, and those are some nasty crevasses.

Villarrica

Gwen

Page 88 of 90 < 1 2 ... 86 87 88 89 90 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored