Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#65944 - 07/20/12 01:39 PM Best guidebook for the Gunks
Bredto Offline
stranger

Hey all-

So up to this point I've just been blindly following my partners around as they lead me to climbs. I'm looking to get a guidebook so I don't feel so lost and can take people climbing myself. My current partner has the Dick Williams book (grey with a lizard on the cover). She seems to like it but I see it hasn't been updated since 2004 and is hard to find. Any thoughts? Thanks!

#65945 - 07/20/12 01:58 PM Re: Best guidebook for the Gunks [Re: Bredto]
Adrian Offline
journeyman

The grey Dick book will serve you just fine. The Gunks is a well developed area, while new routes are out there, you really don't have much to worry about in terms of up-to-date information with the book. Go to rock and snow on your way and they'll have it in stock. Or you can order it on line.

http://www.rockandsnow.com/store/product/2987/THE-CLIMBER%27S-GUIDE-TO-THE-SHAWANGUNKS%3A-THE-TRAPPS/

#65946 - 07/20/12 02:45 PM Re: Best guidebook for the Gunks [Re: Adrian]
Coppertone Offline
old hand

Loc: Newtown, CT
The Gunks is not Rumney or Red Rocks where there are new routes going in frequently in the documented areas. While some new routes do occasionally go in it is generally not in the main areas such as the Trapps where the established routes have all been there well before 2004. Also in my opinion the Williams guides are far superior to both Swain and that rediculously inaccurate coloring book that came out a few years ago.

#65947 - 07/20/12 02:57 PM Re: Best guidebook for the Gunks [Re: Coppertone]
Bredto Offline
stranger

Thanks all! I'll swing by Rock and Ice next time and pick one up.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored