Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 85 of 90 < 1 2 ... 83 84 85 86 87 89 90 >
Topic Options
#6591 - 06/28/04 07:35 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: chazman]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
I used to post a lot more photos, but as stated above its now a much more time and labor intensive process. I have to delete stuff to make room, then resize it under 80k, upload it, fill out a form, then link it to a post. I have enough trouble finding time and effort to maintain my own photo site, let only having to manage a photo gallery here (Even if I had Evan up my storage limit, which I don't want to since again having to maintain it.) When it was as easy as adding to a conversation it was doable, now I don't bother much. (Easier to post them to my server and send a link to friends via e-mail) But I give Evan credit for trying to do big things here.

It would be nice to post photo's in threads again, talk about them, then have them go away after a time period so I don't have to bother with them.

#6592 - 06/28/04 08:33 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: Smike]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Here's what turned me off - all the pics I'd posted previously were in my "personal gallery". A lot of that was crap, and I promptly flushed it. But some of them I figured would be of value, and I wanted to put each pic where it could be found. Like if it's an ice climbing shot, I moved it to Ice Climbing. So far, so good.

But this didn't MOVE it, it COPIED it. Leaving my PG still rather big. So I deleted the pics in there after I'd "moved" them to a more sensible home. But deleting my PG copy ALSO DELETED THE OTHER "COPY". Result - pic all gone.

Now maybe I am missing something. If so, someone please clue me in.

The new Marc-Lester process ends up with viewable pics in the post. I like that. Maybe it's time to get back in the pool, so to speak.

#6593 - 06/28/04 09:43 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: Mike Rawdon]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

The new Marc-Lester process ends up with viewable pics in the post. I like that.

It's nice, but it's not without disadvantages:

1. Page load times could be long on slow (dial-up) connections. Even with a 56k modem, there are lots of locations where local phone lines can't do better than 28k (or worse). Suppose there are 25 image links on the page and each image is 75k in size..... Even on a high speed connection, 2 Meg / page is a lot of bandwidth.

2. If someone doesn't resize their image to something reasonable - like 600x420 px - and uploads, say, the 2048x1800 pixel that comes out of their camera, it can cause lots of excessive scrolling - both vert. and <shudder> horizontal.

One good implementation would be to have the in-line image in a forum post be a large thumbnail which links to the full size image. Of course this would require a bit of coding, Evan has the gallery software in place, etc....

#6594 - 06/29/04 07:19 AM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: Smike]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:

I used to post a lot more photos, but as stated above its now a much more time and labor intensive process. I have to delete stuff to make room, then resize it under 80k, upload it, fill out a form, then link it to a post. I have enough trouble finding time and effort to maintain my own photo site, let only having to manage a photo gallery here (Even if I had Evan up my storage limit, which I don't want to since again having to maintain it.) When it was as easy as adding to a conversation it was doable, now I don't bother much. (Easier to post them to my server and send a link to friends via e-mail) But I give Evan credit for trying to do big things here.

It would be nice to post photo's in threads again, talk about them, then have them go away after a time period so I don't have to bother with them.

I agree. Having that ability was fun. But it's up to Evan and I have to imagine the prospect of a lot of users uploading substantial photo files every day could be a major server space issue.

It is more of a schlep to get photos up. But for me, resizing photo files is most of the schlepping. I always had to resize in the past when attaching photos to posts. And the individual file size limit back then was 100K ... less than what it is now (120K).

#6595 - 06/29/04 10:31 AM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
I, among most Gunks.com posters, don't post photos to the gallery. It's a pity UBB Threads isn't set up so those non-posters can donate space to others.

#6596 - 06/29/04 12:05 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: Smike]
chazman Offline
old hand

Are you guys all nuts? We’re not talking about writing 5,000 lines of Fortran to get a picture posted. What am I missing that everyone is griping about?
1. Go to Photo Gallery (now be careful, this requires a mouse click)
2. Go to a category that might suit your photo's topic (probably climbing but you can study the options for a while)
3. Click Upload (holy crap... another click is required!)
4. Here comes the tricky part... you will need to browse out to your hard drive to locate your picture. This one may require phone phone support but Evan has lines open 24/7 so don't get discouraged.
5. Click Upload/Submit (oh my god... this is total insanity, another click!)
6. You can now add a title or description to your photo (if you want... but by now you are probably sweating from the strain of this process so you may just want to click (not again) the final submit button)

I CAN'T believe the nerve of this guy to make such a totally complex process to post a photo.

As for the photo being in the topic section and your own gallery... this (IMHO) is good. There isn't really two copies just a place holder for the one copy in two places. I kind of like seeing a nice shot and then being able to click (not again... will the madness ever end!) on "see this users gallery" to see more of their submissions.

Lester, stop posting and go climb

#6597 - 06/29/04 12:59 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: chazman]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
What am I missing that everyone is griping about?

The point is you have to manage those photo's once their up. Before you could post a photo, and never have to think about it again. It took me 20 minutes the other day since I had to delete photos 1st to make room (no matter what the space limit is I would fill it up then have to delete again)

Can photo's posted in threads have a time limit of say 30 days then deleted automatically to save space?

#6598 - 06/29/04 01:26 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: chazman]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Are you guys all nuts? We’re not talking about writing 5,000 lines of Fortran to get a picture posted. What am I missing that everyone is griping about?
1. Go to Photo Gallery (now be careful, this requires a mouse click)
2. Go to a category that might suit your photo's topic (probably climbing but you can study the options for a while)
3. Click Upload (holy crap... another click is required!)
4. Here comes the tricky part... you will need to browse out to your hard drive to locate your picture. This one may require phone phone support but Evan has lines open 24/7 so don't get discouraged.
5. Click Upload/Submit (oh my god... this is total insanity, another click!)
6. You can now add a title or description to your photo (if you want... but by now you are probably sweating from the strain of this process so you may just want to click (not again) the final submit button)

I CAN'T believe the nerve of this guy to make such a totally complex process to post a photo.

As for the photo being in the topic section and your own gallery... this (IMHO) is good. There isn't really two copies just a place holder for the one copy in two places. I kind of like seeing a nice shot and then being able to click (not again... will the madness ever end!) on "see this users gallery" to see more of their submissions.

Lester, stop posting and go climb

Sorry Chazman, you struck a nerve and it's time to spew

Bottom line is proof is in the pudding. I work on the back end of new product implementation. I'm the poor bastid who has to introduce new products to customers and help them implement them in their applications. I say poor bastid, because, until very recently, the people who developed said products had no freekin clue what our customer's cared about. As a result, products with glaring fatal flaws in our customer's eyes were introduced.

You know what happens to those products? They don't sell, in other words NOBODY USES THEM.

Is it too hard to do the steps? No, but, it's obviously too hard for this bunch of consumers, as evidenced by the near-complete drop in photo posting on this site. It don't matter what the product-developers think, it matters what the consumers do.

rant off. thanks for listening.

#6599 - 06/29/04 01:55 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: Smike]
chazman Offline
old hand

OK guys, I hear what you are saying (and I can't argue since prrof is in the pudding... no more photos being posted) but I still don't get this "manage" thing. How many photos do you want to submit? I just dropped Evan a PM (as he stated from the beginning) and he upped my disk space. I have yet to "manage" anything.

#6600 - 06/29/04 08:27 PM Re: Non-Gunks Photo Du Jour [Re: strat]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Is it too hard to do the steps? No, but, it's obviously too hard for this bunch of consumers, as evidenced by the near-complete drop in photo posting on this site.

To put a finer point on it.....
It's not a matter of being too difficult or that the users of this site are too dumb. Instead, the benefit provided is not great enough to make the effort worthwhile.

The cognitive task of navigation to the right places in the correct order, copy/paste the proper item to the appropriate place, etc. puts up a series of roadblocks in allowing the site user to accomplish his/her goal - easily sharing a photo with others in the forum. It's the same underlying reason why lots of very intelligent people have VCRs at home flashing 12:00 and why one of the reasons Tivo has become so popular. A VCR has simple steps - a lot of them - to set the time and program it to record a show whereas the steps with Tivo are almost a 1:1 mapping to the goal of "record my favorite show".

Quote:

It don't matter what the product-developers think, it matters what the consumers do.

That encapsulates it perfectly. Adding my favorite two:

"The interface is the product"
"If the user can't find it, the function (or feature) doesn't exist."

Page 85 of 90 < 1 2 ... 83 84 85 86 87 89 90 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored