Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 23 of 27 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 >
Topic Options
#66403 - 08/28/12 01:48 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: retroscree]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
a nice laurel bush or some other native plant?

#66404 - 08/28/12 06:16 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: retroscree]
wombat Offline

Loc: gardiner
i dont think that the people (RG and RR) who vacuumed up the rocks were the ones that were very scared by them in the first place. But I heard it was a really cook solar powered shopvac!

They can explain their motives if they care but it seemed what turned out to be a futile alternative to the fixed anchors that were created.

RR - maybe given your recent experience, you could fix some ropes to bring appropriate convenience and "safety" to the Gunks?

#66405 - 08/28/12 06:50 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: wombat]
ianmanger Online   content
enthusiast

Futile?
Next time I don't knock rocks down from there when I top out, I shall remember that they performed a very good public service. At the time they also noted that it would need to be done occasionally. I doubt that we will need to erode the edge too far before reaching rock, so that's probably where we'll end up. Then there will be no need for a convenience TR anchor 10ft below.

Originally Posted By: wombat
i dont think that the people (RG and RR) who vacuumed up the rocks were the ones that were very scared by them in the first place. But I heard it was a really cook solar powered shopvac!

They can explain their motives if they care but it seemed what turned out to be a futile alternative to the fixed anchors that were created.

RR - maybe given your recent experience, you could fix some ropes to bring appropriate convenience and "safety" to the Gunks?

#66406 - 08/28/12 06:55 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: wombat]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: wombat
They can explain their motives if they care...

I'd say RG did exactly that with his usual eloquence earlier in this thread.

#66407 - 08/28/12 10:38 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: retroscree]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

i think i saw a couple old guys up there throwing rocks at beer drinking teens...

#66408 - 08/29/12 12:28 AM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: crimpy]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Now that's funny!
Crimpy, you owe me a new keyboard!

#66416 - 08/29/12 12:38 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: retroscree]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

ooh man....you got it.

#66417 - 08/29/12 01:12 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: crimpy]
wombat Offline

Ian

clarification of my "futile" comment:

It didnt stop the anchor

#66424 - 08/30/12 04:17 AM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: wombat]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Well, I must say that no good deed goes unpunished. I am sorry to have announced our little clean-up with a snide comment, but it is too late to take that back.

I'll let Rob speak for himself, but my motivation was to make the top a little safer since so many people in so many different arguments over the years about the SEO anchor have said it is needed because of the danger of rocks being knocked off. Assuming the truth of those many claims, including first-person accounts of being hit, I'm very comfortable with the assertion that our actions were not futile.

I've heard virtually no complaints about the ongoing stonework at the base of the cliffs, done to alleviate erosion that endangers no one, so it is bizarre to hear vehement condemnations of analogous efforts that might prevent injuries and even possibly save lives. As for the sarcastic cracks about what next, I think a water bar or two might be a good idea. If we are happy with all those stone escalators to the base of the cliff, what is the problem with securing areas at the top that pose a real danger to climbers below?

It should be noted that we did the clean-up after the SEO anchor had already been replaced, so our purpose couldn't possibly have been to prevent the replacement.

It has taken 71 years for the top to reach the state depicted in my "before" picture. Anyone who thinks that is all coming back after the next rain has a very different understanding of erosion than I do, but I guess we'll see. In any case, the idea that the stone-clearing work is "temporary" compared to a piton and sling anchor is pretty silly. They are both temporary "solutions."

#66426 - 08/30/12 06:28 PM Re: Son of easy o rap [Re: rg@ofmc]
wombat Offline

sorry Rich. I misunderstood the timing. I thought you guys did your labors pre-chains in an effort to address the cited problem and therefore make the chains unneeded.

Edited by wombat (08/30/12 06:29 PM)

Page 23 of 27 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored