Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Rickster), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#66515 - 09/08/12 07:57 PM Southern Arizona in mid-November
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks
We're planning a trip to southern Arizona for a week in the middle of November.

Looking into Cochise Stronghold and other areas around Phoenix and Tucson. Looking for trad mainly in the 5.9 and under range.

We're looking to climb, of course, but also to hike and hopefully backpack, although I've been unsuccessful in finding loops meaningful enough in length to backpack, but I may not have looked in the right places. Day hikes are fine though.

We only have about a week, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#66520 - 09/09/12 12:24 AM Re: Southern Arizona in mid-November [Re: Mim]
CClaude Offline
stranger

The stronghold would be a good option. there are lots to do in the <5.9 range, but I'd be a bad resource for it(since Indian Creek and Zion are closer to where I live, I find myself travelling north more often)

Personally I find the rock around PHX to suck (ok, I'm biased since I think PHX is h#!!)

Sedona could be a great option. It has a new guidebook out (Sedona Rocks, a Climbers Guide) which is avialible online at Amazon.com. There are some very good multi-pitch climbs in the range you are asking, (Dr. Rubo's, the Mace which is a pinnacle, Mars Attacks, which has a full pitch traverse (well protected), Sedona Scenic Cruise). It is an area you do want to get recommendations for since unfortunately for most people (with exceptions, for which I mentioned a few), the rock quality gets better with difficult with the best rock having the routes in the 5.12d/5.13 cracks).

Having said that there would be enough to do for a week, if you get good beta.

For eye candy, check out John Burcham and Andrew Frosts photo-essay in the Alpinst (Issue 33) or for those of you on ITUNES, you can download a complimentary copy of Vertical (in english) - Issue 28 March-April 2011

#66521 - 09/09/12 12:36 AM Re: Southern Arizona in mid-November [Re: Mim]
CClaude Offline
stranger

Also have to say the hiking is pretty good with amazing finds in out of the way places. If you hike up Secret Canyon (off of Dry Creek Road where the climb Mars Attacks is), into HS Canyon to where the trail ends and a little bit past it. If you hike up to the right to the cliff band and then find a route up onto a narrow naturally occurring path in the cliff band (about 100ft off the ground) you will find some INdian Ruins built into the cliffs. I DOUBT ANYONE goes to these ruins, since you only see them from the 2 or 3rd pitch belay of Golden Spike, which is a 5.11d very physical route (mostly wide cracks).

There is also a few arches some worth checking out, some not (Devils Bridge is not).

If mountain biking is one of your things, you can rent bikes in Sedona, and it has REALLY good mountain biking. Not as good as Moab (because of the Red Rock National Forest District rules), but still very good.

If you want to do a long day and if its been warm (ie: not snowing yet in Flagstaff)there is a good canyon which is a LONG days hike, but it involves some swimming (hence the need for it to be warm).

If anythink sounds good drop me a line (928-380-9388). I can get you reliable beta (either first hand or from friends who guide in the area)

#66535 - 09/10/12 06:09 PM Re: Southern Arizona in mid-November [Re: CClaude]
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks
Thanks! We'll definitively take a look at your suggestions and give you a call if we need extra help!

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored