Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#66340 - 08/22/12 07:47 PM Re: Ama Dablam Trip Report [Re: retroscree]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Originally Posted By: retroscree
Originally Posted By: oenophore
My experience with Microsoft Word is that the truncation problem yet persists.

That's because there are, for example, two different kinds of dashes in MS Word. You have to search and, especially, replace with the right kind. Look up the difference in the en dash vs the em dash in MS Word.
For starters: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/msoffice/four-ways-to-insert-an-em-dash-in-a-word-document/2721
I have typed text into a post here, copied it into Microsoft Word to spell/grammar check it, then copied it back into the post box with the above-mentioned truncations as a result.

#66343 - 08/22/12 10:47 PM Re: Ama Dablam Trip Report [Re: oenophore]
retroscree Online   content
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: retroscree
My experience with Microsoft Word is that the truncation problem yet persists.

That's because there are, for example, two different kinds of dashes in MS Word. You have to search and, especially, replace with the right kind. Look up the difference in the en dash vs the em dash in MS Word.
For starters: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/msoffice/four-ways-to-insert-an-em-dash-in-a-word-document/2721
I have typed text into a post here, copied it into Microsoft Word to spell/grammar check it, then copied it back into the post box with the above-mentioned truncations as a result.

That's because MS Word converts the dash you type here to an em-dash, which causes either the page code or database here that stores the posts to gag when you paste it back into a post. I've even encountered the inability to paste from one post to another on this site without hitting the special character truncation bug.

#66344 - 08/22/12 11:06 PM Re: Ama Dablam Trip Report [Re: retroscree]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
I've even encountered the inability to paste from one post to another on this site without hitting the special character truncation bug.

And what has UBB done about this longstanding bug?

#66345 - 08/22/12 11:34 PM Re: Ama Dablam Trip Report [Re: oenophore]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
Awesome report, Rob. I enjoyed every word of it, and learned so much. Thank you for taking the time to write it. The care you took with it is obvious.

#66346 - 08/22/12 11:42 PM Re: Ama Dablam Trip Report [Re: oenophore]
retroscree Online   content
enthusiast

Go to the UBB site (link at bottom of page) and see what you can find out in their forums.

Could be a MySQL bug instead and have nothing to do with UBB Threads.

#66347 - 08/22/12 11:47 PM Re: Ama Dablam Trip Report [Re: SethG]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

What Seth said. Very nice. Pix?
Originally Posted By: SethG
Awesome report, Rob. I enjoyed every word of it, and learned so much. Thank you for taking the time to write it. The care you took with it is obvious.

#66348 - 08/23/12 01:25 AM Re: Ama Dablam Trip Report [Re: fotovult]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
A superb write-up Rob. It deserves a bigger audience---at least post it in the TR section of Supertopo.

The last time I thought I might be an Alpinist was in the 70's. After escaping unscathed from a massive and deadly rockfall in the Alps, I decided I had used up all my nine lives in one sitting. Henceforth, I concluded, back-country rock-climbing, Wind River and Sierra style, was more suited to my temperament and tolerance for risk, and it proved to be not without adventure.

#66352 - 08/23/12 02:36 PM Re: Ama Dablam Trip Report [Re: rg@ofmc]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Thanks Rob.

#66355 - 08/24/12 04:05 AM Re: Ama Dablam Trip Report [Re: chip]
cfrac Offline
addict

Yes, Thanks for the write-up...Pics?

#66364 - 08/24/12 08:46 PM Re: Ama Dablam Trip Report [Re: cfrac]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Maybe a R&S or MP slide show should be in the works. Always a better venue for lots of photos.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored