Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 16 of 22 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#60063 - 09/09/11 01:45 AM Re: Free Soloing [Re: worthrussell]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: worthrussell
...looked anything but confident. I've seen guys free soloing cck and wasn't nervous for them in the least. Your style, in both climbing and wardrobe, are severely lacking.

1. I did not like the move.
2. I was weak, the 5.4 was hard.
3. I had to get the downclimb wired.
4. I had to take my time to think about it and work around it or come down.
5. In the end I found a reasonable solution and went up to a small ledge rather then down to the same one I was on.

I was fine and in complete control that day.

However, many years ago I had a problem off route on the second pitch. I was out of shape and running out of steam on the 15' traverse over the hang solo. I hate to think about it, it gives me the chills.

Whats wrong with blue-jeens?

#60065 - 09/09/11 01:50 AM Re: Free Soloing [Re: stoopid]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: stoopid
I see a lot of arguing and posturing to 'prove' climbing is unsafe, and yet millions of people engage in it every year and don't die or get injured, and over the course of their climbing career never do. Again, hypocritical to say something is dangerous and then make it more dangerous by engaging in the most dangerous variety of the activity. Obviously the point you're making has absolutely nothing to do with safety or danger.

If you can't answer a simple question while soloing and people being there/potentially saying something to you might freak you out, then don't do it in front of others. Yeah, maybe everyone at the base needs to sign a release before you start up the wall. If that's what it would take for you to feel at one with a bunch of people freaking out and wondering if you're some psychopath about to kill themselves. Let's face it, you have a pretty gruff personae. [FWIW, I was the calmest of the two climbers with me, they wanted you off it seemed at any cost and I was the one who suggested we just pack up and leave (we were done anyway)... so I guess your brush paints wide strokes as you colored some pretty solid and respected climbers PINK with your comments]

By all rights, with zero information, the wearing of boots, and lack of communication it was not a stretch to believe you were going up to take a quick, final trip down. If random people at a crag think this, perhaps you should look at that and why you're chosen to put yourself so far apart/away from the average, balanced individuals in the climbing community. Frankly, you looked creepy. It wasn't a stretch at all. You could have said ANYTHING ("I'm fine folks," WHATEVER). But I digress, I think you get off on it. And in your replies I definitely see the inflation of ego. Maybe everyone should have rapeled immediately upon his majesty's arrival, for he wants to climb! Oh wait, that's right, you wanted us there for whatever sick mental trip doing this stuff sends you on.

I said "no thanks!"! guess you did not hear me or there was too much talking down there to hear me.

Edited by donald perry (09/09/11 02:05 AM)

#60066 - 09/09/11 02:09 AM Re: Free Soloing [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

"you looked creepy"

Of course I looked creepy, I was creepin up on a Frogs Head.

Edited by donald perry (09/09/11 02:30 AM)

#60067 - 09/09/11 02:12 AM Re: Free Soloing [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

"I see a lot of arguing and posturing to 'prove' climbing is unsafe, and yet millions of people engage in it every year and don't die or get injured, and over the course of their climbing career never do."

OK, how do you climb safely? If its so simple then you should be able to explain it to me very easy. How do I climb safe, soloing aside obviously.

#60068 - 09/09/11 02:26 AM Re: Free Soloing [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

"you wanted us there for whatever sick mental trip doing this stuff sends you on ... they wanted you off it seemed at any cost..."

That sounds like the lyrics to some song I heard before, but I do not know where.

1. No, I wanted the climb there for whatever sick mental trip doing this stuff sends me on. So I sent it.

2. I find newbies annoying, they create problems. I have to constantly yell at them, or lecture them, or else ignore them.

3. I used to have nightmares of falling, I would wake up in a cold sweat. Do you still have those? I don't.

But lets get to your first point HOW DO YOU CLIMB SAFE?

Edited by donald perry (09/09/11 04:10 AM)

#60069 - 09/09/11 02:31 AM Re: Free Soloing [Re: donald perry]
stoopid Offline
journeyman

Loc: West Sand Lake, NY
I've never had nightmares (any type).

I climb safely by obviously not associating with climbers like you, for starters.

You're sick (possibly physically, definitely mentally). I'm not going to play your little games. Have fun posting 600 word diatribes about how lowly we are. Sage advice on an internet forum, never seen that one before!

If you climbed nearly as well as you type we wouldn't be on page 16. Next time you want to suck at something do it in private, the side of a rock wall isn't youtube.

We've seen good soloists and they climb confident, strong, and we even had someone interact with us playfully on a climb. I've met soloists in Yosemite that were down to earth, even congratulated us on doing the wall different than they've seen before. That's style. You're just some wacko who happens to climb.

#60070 - 09/09/11 02:37 AM Re: Free Soloing [Re: stoopid]
donald perry Offline
veteran

OK so, climbing is safe but you don't know how or why? Obviously if you did you would tell me in less than 600 number of words. I am still waiting.

If you are the one that is so sane and I am the one that is so mental then you should be able to set me straight. But instead you keep throwing out ad hominem redherrings. Whats up with that? Can you *Please* give me some quick answer(s) on how I can make climbing safe like you? Or should I conclude that there is no way to know?

Edited by donald perry (09/09/11 04:15 AM)

#60072 - 09/09/11 03:08 AM Re: Free Soloing [Re: Rickster]
donald perry Offline
veteran

If you want to be concerned with insulting me, be my guest, do so all you want, that's fine. But what you should be concerned with, for yourself and those you care for, if you have any amount of decency at all, is your complete inaptitude to define what you claim is so self evident, where you have the need to side step it by calling attention to an ad hominem excuse you think you should be entitled to, to ignore any responsibly for things you say. You see it is very easy to say climbing is safe. It's another thing to prove it by reason and logic.

If you cannot back up what you have to say now then there is no reason for either I nor anyone else to take ANYTHING you have to say with any amount of the lest bit of sober earnestness.

Edited by donald perry (09/09/11 04:12 AM)

#60075 - 09/09/11 05:13 AM Re: Free Soloing [Re: Rickster]
donald perry Offline
veteran

The way you prove something is factual is you form an argument against it. If the argument is repeatedly unanswerable then in this way you can assume you are on to something. It is through this method of dialectic that any idea can be proven to have substance or to be empty.

Stoopid says climbing is safe.
Stoopid is confronted with "How is climbing made safe?".
Stoopid cannot answer the question coherently.

Conclusion 1.) Climbing is not safe. 2.) Stoopid is not a safe climber because he cannot define how climbing is made safe, nor has any desire to do so. Stoopid does not have a safety plan or method. 3.) Stoopid is a loose cannon.

#60079 - 09/09/11 03:33 PM Re: Free Soloing [Re: donald perry]
stoopid Offline
journeyman

Loc: West Sand Lake, NY
Stoopid refuses to debate with the insane, therefore stoopid prepares for a weekend of climbing.

Page 16 of 22 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored