Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#67040 - 12/13/12 05:09 AM John Long Seriously Injured in Gym Fall
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
This has been circulating on the internet for a while now. For those who only read this site, a week ago John decked hard at the Rockreation Gym in LA as a result, he says, of failing to finish his knot. He suffered an open compound fracture of his left tib/fib/ankle.

This is a very nasty injury that will require multiple operations (some already performed) and a very long and arduous period of physical therapy and rehab activities.

Some of John's friends started a fund to help him with some of the out-of-pocket expenses he's facing. Even with insurance, this is going to be a very costly affair.

The fund is at
http://johnlongdonations.chipin.com/john-long .

Other friends are discussing a Spring fund-raising event in CA.

Although info is flying around everywhere, the two authoritative threads are on Super Topo,

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1998854/John-Long-decks-at-gym

and

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2004841/John-Long-Fundraiser .

If you read them you'll encounter the usual internet static; caveat lector. Just make sure to read to the end of the threads, because the information has changed over time.

#67043 - 12/13/12 04:23 PM Re: John Long Seriously Injured in Gym Fall [Re: rg@ofmc]
Doug Offline

Update from John:
Quote:
To all my friends:

Hi everyone. Sorry to have lagged on responding but I'm still having procedures done and that is taking all of my time and energy. Should be done soon.

As you might know, when I was still out of it entirely, my friends Krista and Chris set up a fund and while their intentions are strictly honorable, some confusion arose from those who I work with who know that I am NOT in a financial crisis at this time. Perhaps that time will come - I've worked and saved for years but this is likely a near million dollar injury cha cha cha.

Anyway, because this is quickly turning into a situation that is over my head, impossible to orchestrate from this bed, my original climbing and high school friend Eric (Ricky) Accomazzo (my attorney) is from now on handling all affairs related to funraisers, me, etc. Rick Accomazzo is not only a much celebrated climber, but also trusted person in the outdoor industry and long-time advocate of the ACCESS FUND. Krista and Rick have talked so the transition to Rick having power of attorney over my affairs is now a plain fact understood by all.

That much said, I very much appreciate what Krista and Chris did while I was in surgery and the many kind responses. But this is a complicated business and I am glad to have my childhood friend and original Stonemaster Rock Accomazzo now in charge.

Sincerely,

John Long

#67056 - 12/16/12 12:59 AM Re: John Long Seriously Injured in Gym Fall [Re: Doug]
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks
The fundraiser has ended. Does anyone know where to send donations?

#67057 - 12/16/12 03:09 AM Re: John Long Seriously Injured in Gym Fall [Re: Mim]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
The fund has been cashed out and turned over to John. Whether or not there will be future support efforts is up in the air. Here is the latest update as of December 14:

Originally Posted By: Rick Accomazzo

Spoke to John this morning. Here is what is happening:

John is having surgery today, apparently the last one. The leg appears to be healing properly and he is looking forward to getting out of the hospital in a week or so.

I am going to sit down with John after he gets out of the hospital and evaluate with him the need for future fundraising efforts. If there is a need and John wants us to go ahead, we will then make plans for a coordinated and robust fundraiser. We will announce it on this thread and start a new one at that time.

John wanted to thank Krista again for the "chip in" fundraising effort. She is going to deliver proceeds to him today. These funds will be used to defray the costs of his daughter's travel expenses and for other incidentals during his hospital stay. As of today, John wants the interim, "chip in' fundraising effort shut down.

To all those who have contributed money, offered thoughts and prayers, and suggested ideas for fundraising, John thanks you. To all who want to help John, please hold those thoughts until we evaluate the need and then announce a fundraising goal to fill that need.

The outpouring of good will from this community is palpable and heart warming. John is very moved by this and appreciates it greatly.

Rick Accomazzo

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored