Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#67199 - 01/14/13 03:03 AM Do you have what it takes to live ...?
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Incredible skill, do you have what it takes to live to die another day?

This is a video of my recent ice trip in Colorado. After I realized I was on camera [Crap!] I went back and did it again, this time without the rope. I was able to dry tool it. Unfortunately the people were not very enthusiastic and did not care about shooting another shot----posting this shot instead, without my consent. Not very nice.

The video is below:

"Mountain climber saved at last second ..."

The moral of the story: If you don't climb like me, you won't be shooting me because you won't be ABLE to be holding the camera without having a mental meltdown. [/quote]

#67200 - 01/14/13 10:51 AM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: donald perry]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Who are you quoting here? Are you representing yourself as the lucky climber in that now well-known video?

#67201 - 01/14/13 07:50 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Yes, I am reliving the moment. I do not claim to be perfect, however I know how to learn from my mistakes.

#67203 - 01/14/13 10:55 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: donald perry]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
From that video, it seems what it takes to live is a willingness to accept a toprope when things get dicey.

#67206 - 01/15/13 05:12 AM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: oenophore]
donald perry Offline
veteran

No, I came to my senses and realized I over reacted. The second time around I prepared myself to down climb it on the good ice ------that I was in such a hurry to leave behind----if I did not make it up. I should not have been in such a hurry, that was my big mistake. But the rock is low angle, and not completely smooth, so I made it up, no problem.

Edited by donald perry (01/15/13 05:25 AM)

#67208 - 01/15/13 04:23 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: donald perry]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
Don, are you saying you overreacted by accepting the top rope? I saw that video the first time it made the rounds, and then as now I was very happy you accepted the offer of help! My experience on ice is very limited but to my non-expert eyes it seems like the biggest reason for regret in connection with this incident is your choice of which line to lead that day!

#67209 - 01/15/13 04:31 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: donald perry]
Adrian Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: donald perry
No, I came to my senses and realized I over reacted. The second time around I prepared myself to down climb it on the good ice ------that I was in such a hurry to leave behind----if I did not make it up. I should not have been in such a hurry, that was my big mistake. But the rock is low angle, and not completely smooth, so I made it up, no problem.

I'm so confused. The first time you climbed it, the ice was melting away and you almost got the chop. So the second time, you don't even bother with ice, just solo the rock?

#67210 - 01/15/13 04:39 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: Adrian]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
This whole incident/event/episode took place at least last season, the vid was posted last July, so it's not at all "recent". The account is incomplete and what info there is remains confused. Why bring it up now except to be out trolling about? crazy

#67218 - 01/16/13 04:01 AM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: Rickster]
donald perry Offline
veteran

This post is not meant to be about trolls and trolling, ultimately it is not even meant to be about me at all , I am sorry you got that impression. What I would like to know, what I am trying to think about, and what this post is really about is this:

Seriously, what do you [you guys] think about what would be the *Idea* of doing *The Right Thing* at that point? In other words, what would you have done? Would you be up for the challenge or would you bail … how would you asses the situation and how would you have dealt with the elements. If I did the wrong thing … what would you have done. Would you have been up on that ice? Now when I ask this question, I hope we are not going to talk about "It depends". I am not sure that real sentence anyway. If it depends, than I would ask what would it depend on. Perhaps you would say, I would not have gotten myself into that kind of a situation to begin with. Very well, suppose it was not possible to go back down for any number of reasons? What would you have done at the point that you came over the top of that ridge on not so OK ice, and then you found it was low angle. How would you have handled the situation from there? Could you handle that situation, or would you have just jumped up on that surf board and hoped for the best? These things can happen, can't they?, that things can start out nice and end up not so nice?

If the conclusion is to accept the rope, what is that all about?, how do you feel about that?, would you consider that a mistake there? I am Just making conversation, try not to get too bent out of shape.

#67220 - 01/16/13 10:42 AM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: donald perry]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
If the conclusion is to accept the rope, what is that all about?, how do you feel about that?, would you consider that a mistake there? I am Just making conversation, try not to get too bent out of shape.

If the toprope were not accepted, would this conversation be taking place?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored