Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#67294 - 01/21/13 06:35 AM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: AOR]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
OK fine, I will not post any more complaints to off topic posts, except one more. AOR, you are off topic, if you want to post I think that's fine, but please make it about serious ice climbing problems next time, thanks.

Edited by donald perry (01/21/13 06:56 AM)

#67295 - 01/21/13 03:17 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: donald perry]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

Wait, you're complaining about off-topic posts? Want to put this under "ice climbing" and maybe start a separate "serious" subtopic so we don't get it confused with everyday ice climbing problems.
Stronger meds, too.

Originally Posted By: donald perry
OK fine, I will not post any more complaints to off topic posts, except one more. AOR, you are off topic, if you want to put I think that's fine, but please make it about serious ice climbing problems next time, thanks.

#67296 - 01/21/13 05:21 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: donald perry]
AOR Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: donald perry
OK fine, I will not post any more complaints to off topic posts, except one more. AOR, you are off topic, if you want to post I think that's fine, but please make it about serious ice climbing problems next time, thanks.

Don,
This is respectfully submitted to you...
I was desperately trying to do you a favor. Please look past the purported attack you perceived I was committing, as I wasn't. I was simply suggesting that you end your quest for whatever answer(s) you were seeking in this thread.

#67297 - 01/21/13 06:39 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: AOR]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

#67307 - 01/22/13 11:00 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: retroscree]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Donald you clearly stated in your first post that that video was of you. You also clerly stated that the people who shot the video did not have your permission to post images of you online. Now you're telling us that it isn't you? Either you're emabarrassed about putting yourself in that situation now, or you are fabricating the whole thing in order to troll people online. Is there another option here?

#67308 - 01/23/13 04:24 AM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: RangerRob]
donald perry Offline
veteran

OK, I will be honest. When I first saw that video it was a few days ago. After I saw it, I do not know if you had the same reaction I did, but I was pissed off. I own a company and, for example, if I saw some of my workers belaying before being tied in, filming before someone was tied in, climbing without protection on something like that and falling off I would be pretty pissed off. Heads would roll. These are the kinds of things that go through the mind of a business owner, any business owner not just me. They get pissed off when they see these kinds of things. Not to mention, if you have seen the responding posts, they are not very encouraging toward ice climbing in general. I am sure these kinds of posts do not do much for helping ice climbing around Peterskill Falls. So why is it here on youtube? I suppose these people must be proud of themselves? There is no reason for ice climbing to be like that [the climber could not even make it up with a rope] and like you said, it does not have to be, unless you are on something like the Eiger off season. So why is the video online? Perhaps it does some good to encourage other would be fatalities to think again and back off, so there is good in it.

OK, so now, when I posted the video and wrote

Quote:
Incredible skill, do you have what it takes to live to die another day? This is a video of my recent ice trip in Colorado. After I realized I was on camera [Crap!] I went back and did it again, this time without the rope. I was able to dry tool it. Unfortunately the people were not very enthusiastic and did not care about shooting another shot----posting this shot instead, without my consent. Not very nice. "

what I was trying to do was sarcastically impersonate the climber in the video with some critical analysis. I thought it was obvious, who would boast about incredible skill while making a complete jackass out of themselves on line, but I guess there are people out there who just believe there are people who are inexperienced and proud of it, and that I was that man. Although I have never met anyone like that myself. Maybe there are people out there who wanted to believe that the man in the video finally had a voice. You can see from the first lines that the post is meant to be sarcastic, "Incredible skill?". But rather then believe it was sarcastic people understood it to be a confession of insanity, so I played the part. The first question I would have asked is: "Why did you post incredible skill?, you had none, you have none! Do you think this is the apex of man meets ice?".

So is there a third option? I think there is, I was being sarcastic. It was not my intention to be annoying. It was not as serious a post initially as people made it out to be.

But there are a lot of questions I believe that can be explored here that I do not know if anyone has brought up yet, I was trying to get to them, but it never happened. In that respect it would have nice to have been the guy in the video, it would have made for some interesting conversations. Too bad it never really happened, in that regard. If my objective was to trying impersonate the guy, I would have done it from an anonymous account, but I don't have the time for that.

#67309 - 01/23/13 04:30 AM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

RUSSIANS SUCCESSFULLY SIEGE K2'S HARDEST LINE

Lindsay Griffin

Posted on: September 5, 2007

http://www.alpinist.com/media/web07f/k2_west.jpg

#67310 - 01/23/13 10:35 AM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: donald perry]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
what I was trying to do was sarcastically impersonate the climber in the video

So here is a case of sarcasm taken on its face. Is it due to poor expression or poor interpretation by its readers?

#67311 - 01/23/13 03:41 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: oenophore]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I find it very hard to interpret sarcasm from online writing. It makes me appreciate the writers who have done it so well in books and magazines for so long. Without the inflections of the voice I think most of us have trouble conveying much of the humor and irony we would like to share.

#67312 - 01/23/13 04:46 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: chip]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Originally Posted By: chip
I find it very hard to interpret sarcasm from online writing. It makes me appreciate the writers who have done it so well in books and magazines for so long. Without the inflections of the voice I think most of us have trouble conveying much of the humor and irony we would like to share.
Well put. I, for one, would do well to sharpen my rhetorical skill before attempting to write sarcasticly or satirically. (I don't intend this as a slight toward Mr. Perry.)
One tact is to write something so outrageous as to convince the reader that it must be sarcastic or satirical, much as Jonathan Swift did in his A Modest Proposal.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored