Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 6 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#67323 - 01/24/13 06:29 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon
[quote=donald perry"Spoke" is past tense, but I said "would have", which is future tense.

Bzzzt! "Would have" is the conditional past tense. Future tense is "will (do)". [/quote]

Bzzzt! Counterfactual conditional. Hypothetically a condition that is known to be false, or presented as unlikely, and here on two counts.

Edited by donald perry (01/24/13 06:34 PM)

#67324 - 01/24/13 08:35 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: donald perry]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing

#67325 - 01/24/13 10:00 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: donald perry]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Originally Posted By: donald perry
Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon
[quote=donald perry"Spoke" is past tense, but I said "would have", which is future tense.

Bzzzt! "Would have" is the conditional past tense. Future tense is "will (do)".

Bzzzt! Counterfactual conditional. Hypothetically a condition that is known to be false, or presented as unlikely, and here on two counts. [/quote]

I was referring to the main clause only and stand by my statement. "Would have" is not future tense.

[/grammar police]

#67326 - 01/24/13 10:47 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
donald perry Offline
veteran

If the "would have" is an impossibility, then it is a counterfactual conditional. And if it is possible then it is a conditional past tense.

You are saying it is possible when it's not, or at least not likely which would make it counterfactual.

Edited by donald perry (01/24/13 10:53 PM)

#67328 - 01/25/13 10:35 AM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: donald perry]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Gosh almighty -- what a &&*^&%^%$@#$ thread! crazy
I nominate Crimpy as its most sensible contributor.

#67329 - 01/25/13 03:04 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: oenophore]
donald perry Offline
veteran

The rise of differences is natural as it is said that if we all agree, it means that we all are wrong.

#67330 - 01/25/13 03:04 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: oenophore]
retroscree Online   content
enthusiast

Don just likes to argue shit on the internet. Doesn't matter about what. It's a perverse hobby.

#67331 - 01/25/13 04:29 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: oenophore]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
Originally Posted By: oenophore
Gosh almighty -- what a &&*^&%^%$@#$ thread! crazy
I nominate Crimpy as its most sensible contributor.

whoever thought that would happen...thanks!

#67333 - 01/25/13 06:42 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: crimpy]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: retroscree
Don just likes to argue shit on the internet. Doesn't matter about what. It's a perverse hobby.

I object! On face value that sounds hypocritical, I would guess it is, unless I have misunderstood you. To prove it is not a hypocritical statement I think you would need to be hypocritical and argue to show it is not hypocritical. Are you being intentionally hypocritical?, I am trying to talk about ice climbing, what do you want to talk about? Please answer the question this time, I answer your questions.

You never answered my question that I posted before twice.

Early on you wrote: "Since you're now in totally hypothetical-land, I'd have tapped my communicator and had Scotty beam me up.". Then later you wrote: "No, most couldn't, frankly because you don't have the writing ability to adequately convey that." in response to "You can see from the first lines that the post is meant to be sarcastic,...".

You understood my first post to be hypothetical, you said: "most couldn't" , and defined my post as "hypothetical". Please stop complaining when there is nothing to complain about, when you do that you are posting off topic.

OK, since you are unable to answer these questions can we now try and get back on topic? The topic is, what would you have done on slushy ice? I presume that to answer this someone may need to go out there in person to prove what is the correct answer. Would you be willing to do this? I would be, but presently I think it is too cold.

But in the mean time, not to be rude, we are trying to find out if ice-climbing is what this thread is really about in the first place by answering RangerRob. So now we are talking about what is and what is not sarcasm. To answer this we are now down a rabbit trail presently trying to figure out if a previous post was conditional past tense or Counterfactual conditional. Maybe you agree that it is Counterfactual conditional, which is why you are now trying to confuse the process again of getting back on topic as usual. That would make sense!

So then I need to be straightforward and ask you directly. A straightforward solution to this question would help us get back on topic. Since you agree why don't you just say so, so we can climb up out of this pit, that the "grammar police" has thrown us into?

#67334 - 01/25/13 07:07 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to lie ...? [Re: donald perry]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Why do you guys all keep responding to Don's posts? I could tell from his first post that he'd seen this video online and was pretending to be the guy in the video.

I've no idea, maybe in person he makes perfect sense, but carrying on with Don here is like arguing with your cat - sure, you both have opinions, but the cat doesn't understand you, and you don't understand it, and there's no real lasting communication possible.

GO

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored