Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#67222 - 01/16/13 03:01 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: donald perry]
Adrian Offline
journeyman

I don't think anyone has a problem with you taking that rope. In fact, most if not all people glad that you did.

I think just about anyone who ice climb has a problem with you being on that route given the condition it was in. But since I wasn't there, I don't know the detail of what makes you decided to climb that route when it's clearly falling down.

So if you want to talk about mistakes. The mistake isn't that you took the rope, it's that you were climbing the falling ice route in the first place.

BTW, what did you say to your belayer after the climb?

#67225 - 01/16/13 06:37 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: oenophore]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
No.

#67226 - 01/16/13 06:44 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: Adrian]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Adrian
I don't think anyone has a problem with you taking that rope. In fact, most if not all people glad that you did.

I think just about anyone who ice climb has a problem with you being on that route given the condition it was in. But since I wasn't there, I don't know the detail of what makes you decided to climb that route when it's clearly falling down.

So if you want to talk about mistakes. The mistake isn't that you took the rope, it's that you were climbing the falling ice route in the first place.

I think you are entirely correct. I had no business being on the route in the first place, I was a fool to even try it. However, I do think it would have been quite safe for a more experienced climber, no?

#67228 - 01/16/13 08:32 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: donald perry]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Donald I think the experience would serve not to enable a climber to ascend such an obviously dangerous condition, but to avoid it entirely.

#67230 - 01/16/13 08:35 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: donald perry]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Warm ice is always alluring because it is so easy to get everything to stick, until the ice falls down. You are certainly not the first to mis-judge how soon it was coming down. Thankfully, you did not join some others in dying over making a poor choice. Accepting the rope was the only realistic option once you were in that situation and a "more experienced" climber would have fared no better given the conditions you found. The water chute you were in did not appear to lend itself to dry tooling or anything other than water/ice sliding once the ice stopped being climbable.

#67231 - 01/16/13 08:38 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: RangerRob]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Yes, but what if the climb was long and the weather changed and going down would be worse than going up? What would you do then?

#67233 - 01/16/13 09:02 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: donald perry]
retroscree Online   content
enthusiast

O
Originally Posted By: donald perry
Yes, but what if the climb was long and the weather changed and going down would be worse than going up? What would you do then?

Since you're now in totally hypothetical-land, I'd have tapped my communicator and had Scotty beam me up.

#67234 - 01/16/13 09:10 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: retroscree]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Donald unless you're on a multi day alpine ice route, the weather doesn't that fast to turn an otherwise good route into a river

#67236 - 01/16/13 10:02 PM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: donald perry]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Donald, you haven't answered my first question - why is there a quote tag in your initial post? Whose statement(s) are you quoting?

#67240 - 01/17/13 01:31 AM Re: Do you have what it takes to live ...? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon
Donald, you haven't answered my first question - why is there a quote tag in your initial post? Whose statement(s) are you quoting?

The [/quote] comes from some left over code I used before on another post. I never bothered to remove it here. The way I make linkable photo's is I hit the quote button on an existing post that has a photo-link and code in it to youtube and a photo. I can then scoop up the code and reuse it. All I then have to do is change the links to a new youtube video and photo.

There is no plagiarism involved with what I wrote, the words are all my own. As for the video[s], they do not belong to me, they are all over the internet with no one taking credit for them. I have nothing whatsoever to do with it in any way shape or form, other than a link. Presently I am making hypothetical arguments about the scenario.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored