Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (oenophore), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#67455 - 02/21/13 10:25 PM Re: Uh Oh... Video - Chipping in NY [Re: crimpy]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
...that's my opinion. Seems to me that most of the new climbers I meet are bouldering. Also, I see quite a bit of rope climbers on board with Access Fund, making statements and such, but not so much in boudlering. Can't think of one boulderer who publicly espouses land stewardship and conservation, off the top of my head.

What is it you call BS?

#67456 - 02/22/13 12:26 AM Re: Uh Oh... Video - Chipping in NY [Re: TerrieM]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
TM, two the very first boulderers in the Gunks, though not so active in bouldering today, have more than proven themselves as stewards of the land, and in conservation, messieurs Williams, and Goldstone among many others.

As I watch the bouldering crews amble by, I don't ask who the "mentor" is, but I would easily guess there's a top dog, sharing what he or she knows with the new folks.

What IG did in the video is reprehensible, no doubt about that, and I'm sure the vast majority of boulderers will be just as shocked and disgusted by it as are the rest of us. Let's hope that this video and the public response is a lesson to all and that in some way it influences future behavior for the better.

#67457 - 02/22/13 03:00 AM Re: Uh Oh... Video - Chipping in NY [Re: Rickster]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
True about Dick and Rich beings stewards - maybe the Access Fund or some big gear company SHOULD consider sponsoring them... After all, the best climber is the one having the most fun and all...

And, what OF the young ones coming up? What ARE their "mentors" teaching them? We had some pretty good boulderers disregard sensitive areas a few years ago, which resulted in an "area closed to bouldering" response.

I just think a company could do a lot of good by sponsoring some people who make it part of their program to educate against a "scorched earth" policy when developing areas working problems, and I don't see it happening. That's all

#67458 - 02/22/13 03:16 AM Re: Uh Oh... Video - Chipping in NY [Re: GOclimb]
RobT Offline
stranger

Loc: Washington Heights
GO
if you still need convincing...the patch on the hat.
Look at his Facebook page. It's the same patch, over and over again.
The cat in the video going after the boulders like a mason is Ivan Green. How sad.

#67461 - 02/22/13 12:07 PM Re: Uh Oh... Video - Chipping in NY [Re: RobT]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
The Edelrid disclaimer posted above says as much. No doubt at all.

#67462 - 02/22/13 01:26 PM Re: Uh Oh... Video - Chipping in NY [Re: TerrieM]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
terrie have you seen this video series from the access fund?
http://vimeo.com/48602840 heres one to give you an idea what the bouldering community has been up to!

#67463 - 02/22/13 02:28 PM Re: Uh Oh... Video - Chipping in NY [Re: crimpy]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

terrie your posts make you sound like an old lady shaking your stick at that devil music.heres one a bit closer to home http://vimeo.com/30174113
btw the boulder in the ivan video is not the gunks, its further south in rockland county i hear.supposedly people, friends etc have been on ivans ass for years about this.

#67464 - 02/22/13 03:53 PM Re: Uh Oh... Video - Chipping in NY [Re: crimpy]
SethG Offline
addict

Loc: NYC
Used to be you could hear climbers coming with their cowbells, but now they all sneak up on you with their soft, quiet crash pads. I have had to cross to the other side of the carriage road many times when I've not liked the look of those teenage bouldery types. The beanies, the jeans.... what is the world coming to?

#67465 - 02/22/13 03:58 PM Re: Uh Oh... Video - Chipping in NY [Re: SethG]
SethG Offline
addict

Loc: NYC
Also, about Ivan in particular, I have seen him around the NYC gym scene for many years and I have always found him to be a very amusing, diverting presence. I'm sure he doesn't know me at all but he made an impression on me from the first. I was just beginning my climbing "career" when I saw him at Chelsea Piers. I thought in all seriousness that the Ben Stiller character Zoolander had come to life, and expected someone eventually to tell me that this was all a put-on. He was always, and I mean ALWAYS, at the gym with at least three beautiful women. And they could climb. I never saw them there except with Ivan but they would warm up on a 5.10.

Later at BKB I got more of a sense of his route-setting (really very good), and saw him teaching groups a few times. He was as far as I could tell an enthusiastic, effective teacher. This chipping situation is very sad. I would not have expected it from him.

#67466 - 02/22/13 04:06 PM Re: Uh Oh... Video - Chipping in NY [Re: SethG]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: SethG
Used to be you could hear climbers coming with their cowbells, but now they all sneak up on you with their soft, quiet crash pads. I have had to cross to the other side of the carriage road many times when I've not liked the look of those teenage bouldery types. The beanies, the jeans.... what is the world coming to?

word!

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored