Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#67136 - 12/30/12 08:35 PM Re: Catskills BC [Re: oenophore]
franky Offline

Hey did anyone do any BC today in the cats..please post how the conditions were...

#67137 - 12/30/12 10:47 PM Re: Catskills BC [Re: franky]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
was snowshoeing at woodland valley today where i guesstimate 14 inches of powder where i was. we didnt gain too much elevation as we followed the water so i gather more up above.

#67138 - 12/30/12 11:09 PM Re: Catskills BC [Re: crimpy]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Yep, it's game on. Leeward slopes and trails have filled in nicely from the strong western winds last night and today. Any crust from last week is to be found at lower elevations and in wind blown areas. cool

#67139 - 12/30/12 11:49 PM Re: Catskills BC [Re: Rickster]
franky Offline

Leeward slopes??? Im thinking of skiing up spruceton trail or slide mtn. Tomorrow, any thoughts?

#67140 - 12/31/12 01:37 AM Re: Catskills BC [Re: franky]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Leeward slopes, the opposite of windward. The snow deposits on the leeward side after blowing off the windward side. The lower portions of the Spurceton Trail will more than likely have a few thin spots due to wind, but not to worry. The upper sections should have plenty of snow. That said, Hunter Mtn Snowbowl rents snowshoes out to people, then allows them to take the lift to the top of the ski area, where they march en masse 9/10s of a mile to intersect the trail you'll be skiing on, be prepared for crowds of clueless individuals who will not have any idea what to do when you come sliding down the trail in their general direction. Or, the ski area patrons who will have also hiked out to ride down through the S-curves past the John Rob Leanto and then down towards the base of Hunter's West Side lifts, where they will attempt to re-enter the ski area without getting caught. Good luck and let us know how it all went.

#67148 - 12/31/12 10:15 PM Re: Catskills BC [Re: Rickster]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Short drive today as I headed up the road to the Awosting Preserve. Got two laps in up and down what is one of the best and longest descents in our home range. Four+ inches of freshies over a good base on the network of carriage roads that switchback their way up towards Margaret Cliff and Spruce Glen. Lots of mellow downhill cruising and a good workout on the up track. The plentiful post holeing from the daily dog walkers disappeared in a mile or two of the car, leaving some good sliding and well set up track.

#67161 - 01/04/13 11:26 PM Re: Catskills BC [Re: Rickster]
Rickster Offline
old hand

The red blazed Huckleberry Trail off of the Hill Rd trail head to blue blazed Dry Brook Ridge has offered up the goods these past few days. A small number of crag rats, made the drive up to Margaretville for a 6.6 mile tour of the ridge. Great pow up top of this 3000'+ ridge line. The lower third of a mile is the skier's crux as the fast descent cuts through an old pine plantation. Some glade shots to be had on either side of the trail, but a few shallow rocks, logs and other surprises, prompted some face plants etc. Don't be discouraged by the apparent large number of snow shoe tracks close to the bottom, they all turn around before the ridge is gained.

Any more tours on this trail will require some more snow for that lower section, but the ridge had plenty of freshies and was a pleasant way to pass the day.

Edited by Rickster (01/04/13 11:27 PM)

#67167 - 01/07/13 11:24 PM Re: Catskills BC [Re: Rickster]
powderbroker Offline
stranger

Went to the dacks last weekend instead. Certainly open for business up there! Thanks for the snow depth info. At least there's some kick and glide around if not downhill. Viva Winter!

#67168 - 01/08/13 12:37 AM Re: Catskills BC [Re: powderbroker]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Coverage in the Cats has been more than adequate depending on location. Another crew of crag rats joined me for Eagle Mtn on Sunday. 8+ miles round trip car to summit. Still a few obstacles to worry about if you don't keep the skis flat, but what's a few face plants and yard sales among friends. Friday's weather report does not bode well for skiers, but the ice monkeys won't mind the rain/melt/freeze that's coming. wink

#67407 - 02/14/13 05:39 PM Re: Catskills BC [Re: Rickster]
nicholsandrew Offline
stranger

Loc: somewhere between Brooklyn and...
Any word on trails such as Spruceton or Bearpen? It does not seem as though the last storm tracked inland enough, but I hope I am wrong.

Thanks! ajn

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored