Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (DMD, Fraser), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#67669 - 03/24/13 02:09 PM Marking climbs in the ticklist
mgree Offline
stranger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
How does everyone else keep notes on their climbs? I use the ticklist in the "Routes by Rating" section of my Swain guidebook (pp. 339-362).

I have the following system: a circle means followed, a slash means some but not all of the pitches have been led cleanly, and an 'X' means the entire climb has been led cleanly. I like this system because then I can tell when a climb is an onsight---no circle means my lead was my first time on the route. (I don't want to start a discussion on what exactly an "onsight" is.)

Until yesterday (*ahem*), this system sufficed for me. But: how should I extend it to keep track of climbs I've led, er, uncleanly? I guess there are two versions of that: led the whole way, but uncleanly (fall, hung, pulled on gear); and led part of the way, but backed off. I'm not sure I need to tell the difference between those. But I (and, I assume, my biographers) would like to know when I've led something cleanly and when I've dogged it.

What should I use to mean "led uncleanly"? The ideal choice (a) won't interfere with my circle/X notation, and (b) will make it clear that the fall happened before any clean lead did. A diamond? A slash that ends in a T (like a T rotated right 135 degrees)? A slash that ends in an arrowhead on the bottom right (get it, I went down)? Should I just draw a frowny face next to the tick? Am I overthinking this?

#67670 - 03/24/13 02:19 PM Re: Marking climbs in the ticklist [Re: mgree]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Originally Posted By: mgree
Am I overthinking this?

wink

#67671 - 03/24/13 03:38 PM Re: Marking climbs in the ticklist [Re: mgree]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

How does everyone else keep notes on their climbs?

A little check-mark if anything, but basically, I don't.

Am I overthinking this?

Not if you have OCD and are anal-retentive.

#67672 - 03/24/13 05:40 PM Re: Marking climbs in the ticklist [Re: retroscree]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Find only one climb to tick a grade [- _ +] harder than you are able to do. Everything else you have been ticking, really was not nessery for you to tick, because these are just your warm up climbs for this one climb.

What one climb could you pick to tick?

#67684 - 03/25/13 01:05 PM Re: Marking climbs in the ticklist [Re: donald perry]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I stopped keeping track of any climbs a long while ago with the advantage that I have many "Alzheimer onsights" since. The really good ones I can remember but otherwise don't have any beta or even know if I've been on it before.
The climbs tht stick out are just as often due to the company I was with as anything else.

#67692 - 03/25/13 09:42 PM Re: Marking climbs in the ticklist [Re: chip]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
I long sinced keeping track of routes that I have led but somehow had to hang or I fell. It was keeping a record of failures, which leads to undue pressure to go back and red point the route...which leads to....well...things that are not fun. Nowadays I am just happy when I get the rope clipped into the anchor, no matter how I got up there.

#67693 - 03/26/13 03:23 PM Re: Marking climbs in the ticklist [Re: RangerRob]
mgree Offline
stranger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
So, it would seem that I am overthinking this. I settled on a barred slash---and a heavy dose of "shut up, relax, and climb".

I love the idea of "Alzheimer onsights". Hey: if it feels new, it might as well be new. smile

#67694 - 03/27/13 04:33 AM Re: Marking climbs in the ticklist [Re: mgree]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Alzheimer onsights are not nessasry if you use Chelation therapy, it is not that expensive. You can get it in a bottle. It prevents strokes too.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored