Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67688 - 03/25/13 02:01 PM Free clinics; Saturday Night Live lives.
whatthegunks Offline

Loc: High Falls, NY
The spring season is trying hard to get started and despite lots of snow on the ridge it's clear that the corner has been turned.

Last season a number of guides volunteered their time and gave free clinics on climbing safety. This will be happening again this year. The clinics will be held for a couple of hours on Saturday evenings at six in the Uberfall and will cover basic anchoring techniques, rappelling and various other tricks that keep us alive playing this dangerous game.

The first clinic will be on April 6th and the current plan is to hold them each weekend through May and then to go every other weekend starting in June. For people visiting the area that are interested in helping to get the word out, there will be a pile of posters just inside the door of Rock and Snow, please take some and put up at your local gym, climbing shop or whatever.

These clinics were a lot of fun to be involved with last season, they were as much a social event as anything. They are dedicated to Stephanie Prezant who was killed falling from Easy Keyhole last spring, her very first climb on real rock.

See you out there, Joe.

#67691 - 03/25/13 08:56 PM Re: Free clinics; Saturday Night Live lives. [Re: whatthegunks]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Way to go, Joe!

#67695 - 03/27/13 02:15 PM Re: Free clinics; Saturday Night Live lives. [Re: TerrieM]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Very classy, Joe, and this donation of time and expertise has done a lot to reduce my agitation at guides jumping routes I want to climb and holding them all day on TR, climbing up my second's butt when I was taking out some beginners, etc. It was really getting bad and I could rationalize that it was their job but I was still not feeling too neighborly about it. Thanks.

#67700 - 03/29/13 02:04 AM Re: Free clinics; Saturday Night Live lives. [Re: chip]
whatthegunks Offline

Love my chalk bag Terry, just pulled it out for the first time this year; psyched!

Chip, sorry something/someone climbed up your butt. ~j.

#67740 - 04/05/13 02:21 PM Re: Free clinics; Saturday Night Live lives. [Re: whatthegunks]
tallgirlnyc Offline

Loc: Cold Spring NY
Is this on for Tomorrow? Looks like a beautiful day in the gunks and I'd love to attend after climbing.

Thanks Joe!

Dana

#67743 - 04/06/13 12:18 PM Re: Free clinics; Saturday Night Live lives. [Re: tallgirlnyc]
whatthegunks Offline

Yes, it's on and the weather is sooo nice. There has not been much interest for this weekend so I'll be hanging out for a bit and socializing and will split if nobody shows. See you out there.

#67753 - 04/08/13 03:21 AM Re: Free clinics; Saturday Night Live lives. [Re: whatthegunks]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Thanks Joe! I shared your post on the GCC Facebook page to help get the word out for subsequent weekends.

Jannette

#67782 - 04/09/13 11:59 AM Re: Free clinics; Saturday Night Live lives. [Re: Jannette]
whatthegunks Offline

Ok, Jannette, excellent. There are a pile of posters inside the door at Rock and Snow for anybody interested in putting one up at their local gym.

There will be a clinic this coming Saturday and based on at least one anchor set up I came across this weekend, there is a clear need for this sort of instruction. It is my opinion that people can be confused to think that because they've climbed for some time without mishap that they are competent and know all they need to know. Please be humble, be willing to look at your own skill set with a hard eye and to sit around not climbing for a bit, going over the technical aspects of our sport. Being casual about climbing is seductive, everything is measured in fun, it's "safer than driving a car", it is stylish and even main stream now. Problem is, this fun can kill you and to ignore this reality is super arrogant and just plain dumb.

The SNL clinics are just one way of becoming a little more competent, a bit safer. Whatever you do to make yourself a better climber this spring, do something. Regularly ask yourself, why am I doing it this way? Is this a redundant anchor? How strong is this material and what do these knots and hitches do to it? What happens if....?

#67874 - 04/18/13 02:46 PM Re: Free clinics; Saturday Night Live lives. [Re: whatthegunks]
whatthegunks Offline

I won't be offering a clinic this weekend and am modifying schedule to include four more dates this spring rather than the weekly schedule.

So, there WILL be a clinic on 5/4 with me on toprope anchors, on 5/18 with IFMGA guide Silas Rossi on rappelling and tricks for safer leading, and two clinics in June with myself and Ryan Stefiuk. I'll post about details for these June clinics at some point soon.

As always, if you are planning to come send me a note and if you say you are coming do it.

Be well, Joe.

joe@alpineendeavors.com

#67974 - 04/29/13 08:35 PM Re: Free clinics; Saturday Night Live lives. [Re: whatthegunks]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
This seems as appropriate a place as any to note that, if I am not mistaken, today is the one year anniversary of Ms. Prezant's tragic accident. Thanks Joe and other guides for doing these clinics in her honor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored