Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#67706 - 03/30/13 04:37 PM Springtime is the time to re-think saftey?
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Most accidents happen in the spring, after a long winter of hibernation, we forget what climbing was all about, we are not as sharp.

After backing up good sized fixed stopper we weighted it and the cable ripped to two. I was in shock. Last year a friend of mine deemed that it was good enough to lower off on. It was only a little rusty.

#67708 - 03/30/13 10:26 PM Re: Springtime is the time to re-think saftey? [Re: donald perry]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Most accidents happen in the spring

Not that I dispute that, but where did you get that statistic?

#67709 - 03/30/13 10:49 PM Re: Springtime is the time to re-think saftey? [Re: oenophore]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
I seriously doubt any valid statistic exists for a claim about Spring being accident season. You'd need something like "accidents per 1000 season-active climbers" in order to tell, say , whether there are more accidents in the summer or just more people climbing in the summer with the same accident rate as in the Spring.

It is possible that various rock structures affected by cold and frost action might be poised to fail in the Spring, although I think that in the Gunks we've seen a similar effect from heavy rains.

Any kind of fixed gear is more than usually suspect, since it has seen a lot of weathering and little to no testing.

Lowering off a single in-situ fixed piece isn't a great idea at any time of year.

#67711 - 03/31/13 12:06 PM Re: Springtime is the time to re-think saftey? [Re: donald perry]
FiveTwo Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Greater NYC
We were in the Nears yesterday on To Be when a large-ish tree (or at least significant parts of one) came crashing down from above, maybe 100m or so to the left of us. No one was hurt but it made a large noise and was a bit scary.

Freeze/thaw and water also make for new hazards in the spring season I suppose.

#67713 - 03/31/13 01:34 PM Re: Springtime is the time to re-think saftey? [Re: FiveTwo]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Originally Posted By: FiveTwo
We were in the Nears yesterday on To Be when a large-ish tree (or at least significant parts of one) came crashing down from above, maybe 100m or so to the left of us. No one was hurt but it made a large noise and was a bit scary.

That would be in the private land closure part of the cliff. So it was probably just the landowner clearing trees to open up their view.

#67714 - 03/31/13 11:43 PM Re: Springtime is the time to re-think saftey? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon
Originally Posted By: FiveTwo

That would be in the private land closure part of the cliff. So it was probably just the landowner clearing trees to open up their view.

Or, maybe just trying to scare off the climbers below? crazy

#67715 - 04/01/13 12:31 AM Re: Springtime is the time to re-think saftey? [Re: Rickster]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
Guess I need to work on my tree felling freefall accuracy a bit. :-)

#67716 - 04/01/13 03:05 AM Re: Springtime is the time to re-think saftey? [Re: Kent]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
lost city could use your help kent.was there for the first time since december, the blowdowns were surreal.looks like wind shear.

#67718 - 04/01/13 02:26 PM Re: Springtime is the time to re-think saftey? [Re: crimpy]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I think I am overly cautious my first couple times out at any time of year and if anything I get more cavalier with frequent outings. The more objective hazards of the environment certainly seem prevalent in spring but I am not so sure about operator error being as much of a problem for me. I worry about the more inexperienced gym-taught expecting they can lead 5.11, or whatever, at the gunks because many gyms have soft grading and the added burden of placing gear will certainly further raise the level of intensity and effort.

#67722 - 04/02/13 09:32 PM Re: Springtime is the time to re-think saftey? [Re: chip]
LoganSchiff Offline
stranger

After a winter of crushing the 35 foot routes at the gym, I was once again reminded that it really is a poor substitute for rock, especially for footwork or crack technique (which I personally suck at). I nearly decked on the third pitch roof of Maria, got pretty pumped futzing around, and apparently, according to my partner, ran it out too much racing to finish the route. Hopefully lesson learned.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored