Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#67761 - 04/08/13 04:13 PM updated Guidebook?
old nutz Offline
stranger

Hi All: Just curious if anyone has heard about an updated Gunks Guide, since the last edition was published in 2004? I was on Mr. Swain's website, but couldn't find a way to contact him there, so I'm hoping someone who knows him might have heard something?

After reading the negative criticism of other recent books, I'm hoping there might be an updated Swain edition in the works...I have worn out my copy of the '98 ed. and was about to purchase a replacement.

#67762 - 04/08/13 05:44 PM Re: updated Guidebook? [Re: old nutz]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
Swain has been working for the last few years on a guidebook to Southern New Hampshire climbing. He has posted about it on the various climbing boards from time to time. He uses the name Gunkswest on the boards. I have no inside info but my guess is that he has no plans to update the Gunks Guide. I could be wrong but it is a big job and I think he has moved on.

Here is his user page on mountainproj:

http://mountainproject.com/u/gunkswest//106642247

#67763 - 04/08/13 06:08 PM Re: updated Guidebook? [Re: SethG]
SethG Offline
old hand

#67764 - 04/08/13 06:47 PM Re: updated Guidebook? [Re: SethG]
old nutz Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: SethG
I have no inside info but my guess is that he has no plans to update the Gunks Guide. I could be wrong but it is a big job and I think he has moved on.

Thanks for the quick reply SethG...hope to see you there.

#67778 - 04/09/13 12:36 AM Re: updated Guidebook? [Re: old nutz]
kenr Offline

I find that combining the Williams guidebooks with the Comments on MountainProject.com works just fine for me.

I don't see any need for a new guidebook -- for figuring out what and how to climb things in the Gunks.

The problem is that the format and color of the Williams guidebooks is old-fashioned and uninviting, and the distribution availabity is not very good -- so that leaves the door open to new entries.

Ken

#67779 - 04/09/13 01:05 AM Re: updated Guidebook? [Re: kenr]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Old-fashioned and thus uninviting?

Ooooh, hee! I can't wait to see Dick when I get back and watch his face when I relay that zinger! No matter that by then he will already have heard it dozens of time. har har har....

#67806 - 04/12/13 02:09 PM Re: updated Guidebook? [Re: TerrieM]
SethG Offline
old hand

So nutz, did you ask Todd? What did he say?

#67809 - 04/14/13 12:36 AM Re: updated Guidebook? [Re: kenr]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Originally Posted By: kenr

I don't see any need for a new guidebook -- for figuring out what and how to climb things in the Gunks.

I couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted By: kenr
The problem is that the format and color of the Williams guidebooks is old-fashioned and uninviting, and the distribution availability is not very good -- so that leaves the door open to new entries.

Ken

But then? Williams Guide book are more available than any other guide book I know of and I find its style and format preffereable to others, especially new one that are picture and advertisement books in disguise, and with comparatively little content to boot.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored