Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68039 - 05/08/13 01:04 AM Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones)
JordanF Offline
stranger

Not a real accident here, don't fret! Just a fun exercise for whoever watches Game of Thrones (which should be everyone with a TV and eyes). Sunday's episode had an epic ice climbing scene. Crampons, axes, pitons, and a hemp rope to clip in, they had it all. Yes, medieval technology, but they had some of the basic principles down. Considering the gear, the time constraints, the weather, and the immense height of The Wall, what could they have done to make the ascent safer, so that everyone would have made it?

#68049 - 05/08/13 08:01 PM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: JordanF]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
I covered my ears & eyes & made Scott tell me when it was over. Sorry, a bit of PTSD ;-)

I just wanna know, what with all of them flailing around like that (for what I saw), how the hell did they get the rope up to the top in the first place?

#68053 - 05/09/13 02:13 AM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: Julie]
mmdambro Offline
stranger

Loc: New Jersey
I'm going to have to start watching this just to see this scene...

#68054 - 05/09/13 12:50 PM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: Julie]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
The crampons appear to be old Chouinard's, with the front points curved on two axis. An exciting scene, but not unlike every ice climbing scene in Hollywood history. Where was the shaking out of the hands, the screaming meemies as the blood began to flow into cold frozen fingers, sewing machine leg, or the broken picks on those hand forged tools? Hollywood, what do they know?

#68058 - 05/09/13 03:47 PM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: Rickster]
cfrac Offline
addict

I think they should all be soloing to be safer. I never liked the idea of simul-climbing when the gear is questionable. Did you notice their tools mostly resembled the North Wall hammers, but one guy had reverse curve picks!

#68060 - 05/09/13 05:45 PM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: cfrac]
JordanF Offline
stranger

Here's a thorough analysis of their climb, and the inevitable improbabilities and hollywood liberties: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/05/ice-climbing-game-of-thrones/

#68077 - 05/13/13 11:07 PM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: JordanF]
browndog2 Offline
old hand

Loc: livin' on the edge
quite the disappointing replies to the post. Where the hell is the overzealous, holier-than-thou fingerpointing and backbiting that made this site great:)?! come on G.com let it out. ok edited to note that the link included above has a lively exchange of absurdities somewhat obviating the need for our coverage but the fact that some buncha wanabies covered our turf. Huh.

Edited by browndog2 (05/13/13 11:23 PM)

#68086 - 05/14/13 01:53 PM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: browndog2]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I think if it were any lesser show or movie it would be getting all kinds of flack. G.O.T. is otherwise pretty well written, although I could do without the oh-so-predictable gratuitous naked woman or two in every episode, only because it adds nothing to the otherwise intricate writing.

#68087 - 05/14/13 02:31 PM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: chip]
retroscree Online   content
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: chip
...I could do without the oh-so-predictable gratuitous naked woman or two in every episode,

You are not a climber.

#68108 - 05/16/13 06:46 PM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: retroscree]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I don't mind a well sculpted bod, but I can't believe they can't be more creative than to have women suddenly throw off all clothing and jump on the guy of interest in every single episode (especially when the temps are below freezing).

#68115 - 05/17/13 05:57 PM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: browndog2]
phil Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted By: browndog2
quite the disappointing replies to the post. Where the hell is the overzealous, holier-than-thou fingerpointing and backbiting that made this site great:)?! come on G.com let it out. ok edited to note that the link included above has a lively exchange of absurdities somewhat obviating the need for our coverage but the fact that some buncha wanabies covered our turf. Huh.

Well said Browndog... Well said... this place has lost its way... we gave up hongs, dropping logs on the GT ledge, entire threads devoted to green aliens... we've become too nice... and completely boring...

Now back to the question at hand... "What the hell are you people doing watching the Game of Thorns anyway?" that show is Gay.. Gay Gay Gay Gay... a show based on a medievele migete with an attitude... cant some one just please drop kick his stupid ass out a window already...

Now if ya wanna talk about a mini series... I'm still not over that The Vikings has ended... and it was a suckie ending too... but all the other episodes were cool... Violence, Gratuitous Sex, Raping and Pillaging, Hot Babes wilding swords... I mean, come'on it's everything that I think we should be standing for...

#68174 - 05/27/13 07:34 PM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: phil]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

'twas a different time, browndog2 and phil.

#68182 - 05/28/13 03:13 PM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: strat]
phil Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Hay Strat!! How's it going???

It was a different time... a far time... maybe someday... thongs, snot and sheep might come back...

This weekend, late in the day I visted the Gunks... and ya know they havent fixed the flush on those dam poopie potties yet!!! Evertime I use them, I've gotta reach waaaaay down to get the flush to work... and then I need to find someone's dog to wipe off my hands... what a pain!!! All the money we spend and I still have to resort to violating someone's dog just to use the bathroom.

Well... at least that gives a good reason to allow dogs at the Gunks... grin

#68223 - 06/02/13 11:11 PM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: phil]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great! I have about 6 weekends worth of renovating work on a little lake cabin that's been in my family for ever. After that, I will try and get a little climbing in.

Great use for the local dogs!

#68224 - 06/03/13 09:40 AM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: JordanF]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
whoever watches Game of Thrones (which should be everyone with a TV and eyes)

That's quite an assumption. frown

#68406 - 06/27/13 12:14 AM Re: Incident Analysis (Game of Thrones) [Re: oenophore]
acdnyc Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NYC/Kerhonkson
I read the book but haven't seen the ice climbing scene yet. Thought it was kind of funny at first but when one climber feel it made it much more realistic to me.

But, any who, came across this article for any fans out there.

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1fr588/spoilers_all_a_dwarfs_perspective_on_tyrion/

Patiently waitin on book six. :-(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored