Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (wivanov), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#68120 - 05/19/13 02:33 AM Accident on Saturday 5/18?
Gail Offline
journeyman

Loc: Gardiner, NY
When I was walking out around 6PM there was a crew of people (climbers, rangers, fire fighters) tending to a climber near "welcome to the gunks". Seemed like a serious fall.

Anyone know what happened?

I hope the climber is ok!

#68125 - 05/19/13 04:23 PM Re: Accident on Saturday 5/18? [Re: Gail]
Guso Offline
stranger

>> On Saturday a number of us were climbing just to the right of the Mac Wall. Pete and I were attempting to pull our recalcitrant ropes after a double-rope rappel from the top of Credibility Gap (btw I now recommend two single-rope raps off this route) when we heard a large thump, crash and subsequent screaming. Apparently, a young Irishman named Connor from Manhattan was leading Tequila Mockingbird(?). At the first crux overhang (25 ft.?), he decided to back off and be lowered to the ground. Connor had only a single pink tricam placed. As he lowered, the piece blew and he landed on a sofa-sized rock (the thump). He then backflipped off the rock and landed on his back in the woods (the crash). The scream was a result of a likely broken left ankle and some rib damage.
>>
>>
>>
>> A call was placed to 911 and we did our best to assess his condition, calm him down, and make him as comfortable as possible. The Park ranger arrived in about 20 minutes and provided first aid. The Fire Dept then arrived and a "spirited debate" took place between the Ranger and the EMT as to the appropriate care to be given*. The patient was carried down to the carriage road by about 20 kind-hearted fellow climbers. Last I saw, Connor was being loaded into an ambulance. No word on his condition.

#68131 - 05/19/13 10:27 PM Re: Accident on Saturday 5/18? [Re: Gail]
SkurdeyCat Offline

Loc: PA
I heard that someone had tried to back off by lowering from a single nut, fell about 20 feet, possible ankles and ribs issues, but not life-threatening.

Skurdey

#68135 - 05/20/13 02:45 AM Re: Accident on Saturday 5/18? [Re: SkurdeyCat]
SethG Online   content
old hand

Loc: NYC
Oy, sorry to hear of it. Best wishes to the climber for a speedy recovery.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored