Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68172 - 05/27/13 03:25 PM Falcon at Millbrook
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
I repelled down White Corner and rope soloed to the top. I also rope soloed Rib Cracker.

After some time I realized there was maybe Falcon nest 500'or more to my right.

The only reason I became aware of it was as I was climbing I could see far away from the cliff and to my right from time to time that a Falcon was dive bombing a number of vultures who apparently are now planning to eat her chicks. That's what happens over here.

Millbrook has a lot of vultures which completely ignore climbers, except for an occasional glance or two now and then looking to see if you are eating anything and perhaps leaving food behind. They always appeared to be very friendly to me, however if you harass them [or a Falcon as I can only guess] by getting too close to a nest it could get ugly real fast. A friend of mine who accidently got too near to a vulture nest was once viscously attacked by a vulture near the Old Route walking along the top, he said ... it wasn't fun. His story was frightening.

I would advise climbers to not climb any closer than White Corner, which appears to be far enough away for a falcon can notice me. However, if you have a number of noisy people in your party and like to do a lot of yelling and throwing ropes and creating a scene maybe you need to be even further off and around the corner.

Edited by donald perry (05/27/13 03:29 PM)

#68173 - 05/27/13 03:43 PM Re: Falcon at Millbrook [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

around the corner of the cliff.

#68175 - 05/27/13 08:08 PM Re: Falcon at Millbrook [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

"to not notice me" I meant to say

#68176 - 05/27/13 08:59 PM Re: Falcon at Millbrook [Re: donald perry]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

FFS, maybe you could just proofread your damn post before clicking Submit and stop with the 19 follow-up corrections????

#68177 - 05/28/13 12:27 AM Re: Falcon at Millbrook [Re: retroscree]
cfrac Offline
addict

From the MP and posted on thewhitecliff.com:

Because peregrines are sensitive to the presence of climbers and defend a relatively broad area of cliff in the vicinity of their eyrie, it is strongly suggested that climbers avoid climbing, not only near the eyrie, but also between the regularly used falcon sentry perches north and south of the eyrie. For the past several weeks, these sentry perches have been observed by Mohonk Preserve volunteers who use spotting scopes to monitor falcon activities at Millbrook from a distance of one-mile away. Consequently, the Mohonk Preserve urges climbers to avoid climbing in the section of cliff between Westward Ha (south) and Bank Manager (north) until July 1st. Climbers are also urged not to walk along Death Ledge or the top of the cliff between Westward Ha and Bank Manager.
Climbers should also be prepared to retreat from any climb if peregrine falcons repeatedly fly past them kecking (ornithologist language for a bird making strong shrieks) or wailing, or when they are dive-bombed by falcons.
As in the past, the cooperation of climbers is vital to the continued welfare and population recovery of this state-listed endangered falcon. Please do not hesitate to contact John Thompson at Mohonk Preserve, 255-0919 ext 1270, if you have any questions concerning this suggested closure.

#68178 - 05/28/13 12:36 AM Re: Falcon at Millbrook [Re: retroscree]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Does not help, no matter how many times I read it. But maybe if I could edit the post right now I would not need to have make the next correction. So your going to have live with it ---------unless I am posting a link to supertopo.com where I can make corrections and changes, which is what I am dong most of the time for this very reason.

#68180 - 05/28/13 05:15 AM Re: Falcon at Millbrook [Re: donald perry]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: donald perry
Does not help, no matter how many times I read it.

In that case you're incompetent. If you can catch them later, then you can catch them before posting. Maybe you should just shut the fuck up and stop posting.

Edited by retroscree (05/28/13 05:16 AM)

#68194 - 05/29/13 08:00 AM Re: Falcon at Millbrook [Re: retroscree]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Easy there Retro. Donald was actually trying to be of some help. Of course, Cfrac's comments were much more appropriate and accurate.

"Peregrine Falcons always appeared very friendly to me..." This is my new favorite DP quote.

#68199 - 05/29/13 12:19 PM Re: Falcon at Millbrook [Re: RangerRob]
donald perry Offline
veteran

http://www.fws.gov/chesapeakebay/EndSppWeb/LISTS/IMAGES/Peregr.htm

Before World War II, the peregrine population in the eastern United States was estimated at about 350-400 breeding pairs ... By1964 nesting peregrine falcons were extinct in the eastern United States [from DDT, which was banned by the EPA]. ... In 1997 the eastern population of peregrine falcons reached 174 pairs ... In 1998, the peregrine falcon was proposed for removal from the endangered species list!

If we don't do something in the next 40 years there will be too many falcons, there will be no place to climb, and they will kill all the pigions!

Although the way our government is so busy dumping fluoride into the waters in every city and aluminum barium into the atmosphere [in disregard of the EPA] I will really have nothing to worry about.

Edited by donald perry (05/29/13 12:21 PM)

#68200 - 05/29/13 12:25 PM Re: Falcon at Millbrook [Re: retroscree]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: retroscree
Originally Posted By: donald perry
Does not help, no matter how many times I read it.

In that case you're incompetent. If you can catch them later, then you can catch them before posting. Maybe you should just shut the fuck up and stop posting. Edited by retroscree (05/28/13 05:16 AM)

LOL, dude, you just edited your own post! OK, so the problem is not longer editing posts. What

Edited by donald perry (05/29/13 12:26 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored