Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 6 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68229 - 06/06/13 12:40 AM Mohonk Preserve Loses Large Boundary Battle
DeliLlama Offline
stranger

Loc: Kerhonkson, NY
The Mohonk Preserve has lost yet another boundary dispute involving 75 acres. Wtf?

Edited by webmaster (08/05/13 12:36 PM)

#68234 - 06/06/13 09:26 AM Re: Mohonk Preserve Looses Large Boundary Battle [Re: DeliLlama]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Details? Title spelling correction?

#68236 - 06/06/13 03:27 PM Re: Mohonk Preserve Looses Large Boundary Battle [Re: oenophore]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I recieved a mailing maybe a month ago about one dispute many of us were familiar with that the Preserve had won. I don't know if they would be quick to publicise a loss. I am also curious to hear any details.

#68237 - 06/06/13 03:54 PM Re: Mohonk Preserve Looses Large Boundary Battle [Re: chip]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
It's one and one currently.

The first recent Mohonk Preserve lawsuit against a MP neighbor, the lawsuit the MP won in Ulster County Supreme Court, has been appealed.

The second recent Mohonk Preserve lawsuit against a MP neighbor, the one the MP lost in Ulster County Supreme Court, has not yet been appealed.

#68431 - 07/09/13 12:09 PM Re: Mohonk Preserve Looses Large Boundary Battle [Re: Kent]
Kent Offline
old hand

The MP has distributed a letter saying they plan to appeal the case they lost. So it's status quo for the moment, meaning, it's up to the courts, still.

#68511 - 07/31/13 12:09 PM Re: Mohonk Preserve Looses Large Boundary Battle [Re: Kent]
Kent Offline
old hand

Interesting article at mohonk.org . If I'm not mistaken the same article was published in Chronogram.

#68513 - 07/31/13 06:37 PM Re: Mohonk Preserve Looses Large Boundary Battle [Re: Kent]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Holy ____, that page describing the land issue is longer and more complex than I anticipated giving me a my-eyes-glaze-over feeling. I suppose the only winners shall be the representing attorneys.

#68518 - 08/01/13 05:51 PM Re: Mohonk Preserve Looses Large Boundary Battle [Re: oenophore]
SethG Online   content
addict

Loc: NYC
Well I read the whole piece. It is well-written. I can't vouch for its accuracy since pretty much all the assertions in it are unsourced and the article is published on an astrology site.

#68521 - 08/02/13 02:55 AM Re: Mohonk Preserve Looses Large Boundary Battle [Re: SethG]
Eric Francis Offline
stranger

I am the author of the article that Kent posted to this forum. It's an investigative report that is being run simultaneously in Chronogram and Planet Waves. The Planet Waves version is longer and illustrated, with more details and is a bit more readable.

I am an investigative reporter and my specialty is fraud and crimes against the environment. I have written for Sierra, The Ecologist, The Village Voice, Huffington Post and many other publications.

I've been following this group of cases since 1997. I first covered them for Woodstock Times and then assisted the New York Times in completing its coverage several months later.

I've been developing the current story for about three years. It takes a long time to understand this kind of thing. In doing my research I have followed the chain of title of every property involved, nearly all of it focused on the Curran Farm and its adjoining properties.

The piece has been through several layers of fact checking, including by my editors at Chronogram and the editorial team at Planet Waves. I am as confident as I can be that I've got every fact right.

Before the piece came out, I spent an hour and 20 minutes with three of Mohonk's top officials in a recorded interview -- with Hoagland, Knapp and Reed -- who insisted that they had a real claim to the property but who would not answer any of my questions about their chain of title. They seemed to expect me to take them at their word, without proof of what they were saying.

Conversely when I interviewed those on the other side of the case, particularly dragging Mike Fink and Chris McGregor through hours of interviews, they were prepared to prove everything they were saying with deeds, title searches and other documents that established what their claims.

I never take a source at their word in a story like this without proof of what they are saying in authenticated documents, and I will drill them and track and memorize documents until I am certain that I understand what is going on and can explain it from memory.

In this case that took a while. I have lived with a map of the Curran Farm and its various subsequent chains of title on my kitchen wall for years, gradually understanding where all the pieces fit together.

It has been a long, interesting and challenging project. I have a lot more to tell.

Edited by webmaster (08/05/13 12:35 PM)

#68524 - 08/02/13 01:39 PM Re: Mohonk Preserve Looses Large Boundary Battle [Re: Eric Francis]
Eric Francis Offline
stranger

By the way Kent, an appeal is not a new trial -- it's review of the original one, and the case before the trial court, and the paperwork, were pretty damned tight. The thing was designed for appellate review.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored