Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (Coppertone, 1 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68580 - 08/08/13 04:08 PM Re: Nothing but crickets [Re: retroscree]
talus Offline
veteran

^ yes but this site from day 1 has always been over moderated. when something of controversy is posted = delete and block the poster. should change the name to gestapo.com

#68581 - 08/08/13 07:34 PM Re: Nothing but crickets [Re: talus]
retroscree Online   content
enthusiast

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. Maybe someone who actually cares about the gunks having its own site should take it over.

#68582 - 08/08/13 07:59 PM Re: Nothing but crickets [Re: talus]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Originally Posted By: talus
^ yes but this site from day 1 has always been over moderated. when something of controversy is posted = delete and block the poster. should change the name to gestapo.com
This surprises me. I've posted here quite a bit; some of my posts might be deemed outrageous, and never a word from any moderator.

#68583 - 08/08/13 09:06 PM Re: Nothing but crickets [Re: oenophore]
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: oenophore
This surprises me. I've posted here quite a bit; some of my posts might be deemed outrageous, and never a word from any moderator.

Outrageous doesn't matter - it's all about who you disagree with.

#68584 - 08/08/13 09:07 PM Re: Nothing but crickets [Re: retroscree]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
fuck...that means someone agrees with me.

#68585 - 08/08/13 09:23 PM Re: Nothing but crickets [Re: crimpy]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
Retro, aka MarcC, if you were banned under your previous user name, it might have something to do with you suggesting the webmaster was engaging in certain unnatural acts, shall we say, with other users because Evan wasn't moderating the way you wanted him to.

The level of vitriol here was off the chart sometimes, complete with threats of physical violence against some posters for their views. Perhaps Evan overreacted at times by moderating too much, but under previous circumstances moderation became a near full time job.

I was, and am still, grateful to Evan, the webmaster, for making this space available.

#68586 - 08/08/13 10:03 PM Re: Nothing but crickets [Re: retroscree]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
it's all about who you disagree with

Perhaps it's the manner of expression of the disagreement that counts.

#68591 - 08/09/13 02:08 PM Re: Nothing but crickets [Re: oenophore]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
I've participated in several of these boards, some related to climbing and some related to other things like food and cycling. I was even a moderator for a time on a food board (never again!!). Every such board faces complaints of over-moderation.

Gunks.com seems hardly moderated at all compared to other boards that I've been involved with, fwiw.

Also, I learned when I was a moderator that it is possible to place certain posters in a Moderated Queue, so that their posts can be reviewed before they are publicly posted. Maybe this is what talus is talking about here, since most of us do not have to wait for approval, but can see our posts the moment we press "submit." There may be some people who were at one time placed in the Mod Queue-- I'm just making an educated guess here, I have no information about this actually happening.

#68593 - 08/09/13 05:06 PM Re: Nothing but crickets [Re: Kent]
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Kent
Retro, aka MarcC, if you were banned under your previous user name, it might have something to do with you suggesting the webmaster was engaging in certain unnatural acts, shall we say, with other users because Evan wasn't moderating the way you wanted him to.

wtf are you talking about and why do you insist on thinking i'm someone else?

#68594 - 08/09/13 05:08 PM Re: Nothing but crickets [Re: retroscree]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
It's pretty easy to compare your posts with those of MarcC and find very very strong similarities, especially the snarkiness.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored