Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#68790 - 09/12/13 01:21 AM Re: Ranger Presence [Re: Kent]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
i dont even have a smart phone and i still get you.

#68795 - 09/12/13 03:01 PM Re: Ranger Presence [Re: TrappDyke]
gunkie Offline

Loc: New Hope, PA
Originally Posted By: TrappDyke
Gunkie, you said rangers could prevent climbers from top roping climbs with "decent" protection.

If you are going to paraphrase my comment, at least get it right.

Originally Posted By: gunkie
I also think that there should be an edict in the high traffic areas that limit toproping on popular climbs with decent protection on crowded days. Enforcement would be a simple request by the ranger based on subjective elements. That's it.

#68819 - 09/17/13 11:07 AM Re: Ranger Presence [Re: Kent]
talus Offline
veteran

It's funny how a womanizer can't respect women but gets all high and mighty about climbers on private property.

#68838 - 09/17/13 11:32 PM Re: Ranger Presence [Re: talus]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
An ad hominem attack. How original.

#68889 - 09/24/13 03:08 AM Re: Ranger Presence [Re: Kent]
Lynn Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY

I think Gail posted up the best suggestion yet. There are a few problems however - like if there were a pair of climbers that were top roping something I'd like to climb, I'd be fine with informing them I was hoping to lead and letting that pregnant pause to hang for them to realize I'm really asking them to pull or move their TR to the side so I can climb. However I would not feel comfortable walking up to a party of five, let's say, and doing the same.

If a group or pair of climbers are shouting beta and it was really annoying, such that I couldn't hear if my partner was off belay or not.... I'd probably still not say anything.

That being said, we have not hesitated to tell parties to not put their TR set up through the rap anchor. That error seems to happen often.

As far as someone taking too long to lead something.. well, with a comment like that you just come across as elitist froth spewing that the Gunks are only for people that lead 5.12 or harder. so bleh!

Pamphlets - or signs - do seem like they are needed but it would be awful if they became litter material. Might I suggest that the next time a group or individual is displaying poor etiquette that you carefully observe if they have a wrist band day pass? It seems to me that if any education about proper etiquette is going to get done, the prime time to do so is when said Gumby is purchasing their climbing pass.

Edited by Lynn (09/24/13 03:09 AM)

#68890 - 09/24/13 02:10 PM Re: Ranger Presence [Re: Lynn]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Day visitors are not the only ones to commit the abuses listed above.

A paper pamphlet could be included with the season's pass when it is purchased or mailed to the member. Rather than give a copy to each climber, offer one to each rope team or group leader on significant busy weekends through out the season.

Possibly the contents of such a pamphlet could be prominently on display at the trail end of the West Trapps PA, just over the guard rail to the Nears, or at the foot of the Stairmaster? Titled such as "First Time in the Gunks?" or "Here to Climb?", and goes on to introduce some climber's etiquette, highlight some local practices and expectations. Simple, and not quite in their face.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored