Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68808 - 09/16/13 01:33 PM Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
It is well known that there is a sickle-shaped flake/block just sitting on a narrow shelf right above the crux of P2 of No Glow. It is mentioned in Dick's book. The flake/block has no visible means of attachment and always creeps me out.

I post here about a different block.

Just below the top of the cliff, literally two moves from the finish, you can go a little right or a little left. Going to the right is the easier, more obvious way. I did this yesterday and put my hand on a loose block. I did not even realize it was detached until I touched it. It is roughly Texas shaped, concave, and about three and a half feet wide. When I barely touched it, it shifted. It scared the crap out of me.

I suspect it would take no more than a little shove to send this thing down the cliff. Someone could get killed. I know trundling raises a host of issues and isn't generally done in the Gunks. (Is it forbidden by the Preserve?) Also in this specific case trundling the block from so high could have unintended consequences. The block might go far to the left or right and damage another route, or might even dislodge the sickle flake/block below. Obviously multiple people would have to be involved, at night, to make sure a wide area is clear before a controlled trundling could take place.

Despite these issues I think trundling might be in order here. I think it is only a matter of time before someone pulls this block off, and it could easily kill someone. It could happen today.

I don't mean to sound like chicken little. I know there are many loose blocks around. This one is a particular problem because of its location and because I think it could just slip off at any moment. It it just leaning against the wall.

#68810 - 09/16/13 01:43 PM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: SethG]
Doug Online   content

I climbed that Saturday and noticed that block. It encouraged me to climb left of it, which turned out to be easier than it looked at first. I didn't play with the block much to see how loose it was, but it did seem to be detached and just leaning against the rock.

#68812 - 09/16/13 04:14 PM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: SethG]
Glenn Offline
journeyman

Loc: Tx
I'm thinking that people have been successfully avoiding it for nearly 60 years. Haven't been on the route in almost three years, but I do recall that block and thinking the same thing.

#68813 - 09/16/13 05:46 PM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: Glenn]
SethG Offline
old hand

That is the block.

Yes of course it has always been there and no one has died yet. I would think the same thing except that I absent-mindedly touched it-- barely-- and it shifted. It is not attached at all. Maybe it will fall off in the next storm. Personally I think I'm done with No Glow for a while.

#68815 - 09/17/13 12:48 AM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: SethG]
Gail Offline
journeyman

Loc: Gardiner, NY
great photo of "the block"

#68816 - 09/17/13 09:29 AM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: Gail]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Maybe it will fall off in the next storm

And no one will be harmed then.

#68817 - 09/17/13 09:57 AM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: oenophore]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Trundling is not allowed at the MP.

#68818 - 09/17/13 11:02 AM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: Mike Rawdon]
talus Offline
veteran

are you going to tell Hall monitor

#68827 - 09/17/13 07:06 PM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: Mike Rawdon]
SethG Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon

Then that settles it.

My comment about it coming off in a storm was hopeful. I pray it does.

Please carry on as before. Be careful out there.

#68834 - 09/17/13 10:48 PM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: SethG]
retroscree Online   content
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: SethG
Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon

Then that settles it.

My comment about it coming off in a storm was hopeful. I pray it does.

Intentional trundling is not allowed. "Accidentally" dislodging a rock, especially during a storm....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored