Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#68854 - 09/20/13 02:05 PM Black bear near the Stairmaster trail
KathyS Offline

Loc: NY, USA
There was a good sized black bear just up the talus slope from the top of the Stairmaster trail yesterday afternoon. Keep an eye out.

#68895 - 09/25/13 02:08 PM Re: Black bear near the Stairmaster trail [Re: KathyS]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I've noticed a few times in the fall that a bear will patrol the talus near the end of the day, presumed looking for pieces of climbers from the day's activities.

#68899 - 09/25/13 03:58 PM Re: Black bear near the Stairmaster trail [Re: chip]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
He's collecting dropped gear for what must be his third rack. Soon enough he'll catch on that the packs strewn along the base of the crag all have food in them.

#68900 - 09/25/13 04:30 PM Re: Black bear near the Stairmaster trail [Re: Rickster]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Quote:
....looking for pieces of climbers from the day's activities

That's a morbid bit of imagery!

I had heard earlier in the season that there was a small bear traveling between Undercliff/Overcliff and that the bear had rummaged a few packs. Also that someone had topped out and the bear was standing there....

Hopefully we aren't getting a bear or two trained for human food. I think that was the only sad part of visiting Yosemite I experienced. It's not a "bear problem;" it's a "people problem," since we know better. It was amazing to me how many people knew full well how much of an opportunity they were providing bears there, by being careless about things, and yet still did it. Bears have died because of that laziness (in Yosemite).

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored