Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#69009 - 10/14/13 05:39 PM Rockfall on Birdland
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
A giant rock fell off (bigger than a basket ball I was told) of one of the Birdland handholds, and the shrapnel must have broken a woman's wrist. She was in a lot of pain. I talked to the party very briefly. After I saw they were in one piece and no one was hit on the head (no one was wearing helmets) I left. The woman that got hit was laying down, It could have been much worse.

#69011 - 10/14/13 07:54 PM Re: Rockfall on Birdland [Re: donald perry]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
First or second pitch?

#69013 - 10/14/13 08:36 PM Re: Rockfall on Birdland [Re: oenophore]
OldEric Offline

It was from the very top of the 2nd pitch - maybe 10 feet below the actual top. I had lead the pitch and my partner was following. She was past all the difficulties - above the final significant overhang on the direct variation. Her right handhold broke off. She fell a few feet - didn't hit anything else. The rock impacted someplace on the first pitch and shattered. The poor woman in a hammock put her hand up to protect her head and luckily did. The most significant injury apeared be be a broken pinky finger. The ranger response was quick and the woman walked out under her own steam. Her friends were going to take her to the ER. We felt very badly about it - the rock quality in the last 10-12 feet deteriorates. All we could do was yell "rock".

Edited by OldEric (10/14/13 08:39 PM)

#69014 - 10/14/13 11:03 PM Re: Rockfall on Birdland [Re: OldEric]
retroscree Offline
enthusiast

What the fuck is someone doing hanging out in a hammock below active climbers?

#69016 - 10/14/13 11:23 PM Re: Rockfall on Birdland [Re: retroscree]
donald perry Offline
veteran

I guess it could take awhile to get out of a hammock if someone drops some gear or in this case a rock. And in that case you would need to turn your back on the situation to get on your feet.

Edited by donald perry (10/14/13 11:24 PM)

#69018 - 10/14/13 11:38 PM Re: Rockfall on Birdland [Re: retroscree]
gunkie Offline

Loc: New Hope, PA
Originally Posted By: retroscree
What the fuck is someone doing hanging out in a hammock below active climbers?

Apparently keeping the ground safe from rockfall.

#69020 - 10/15/13 12:40 AM Re: Rockfall on Birdland [Re: gunkie]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
I was in the Trapps Thursday through Sunday midday and noticed quite a few hammocks strapped up beneath active climbs. Looks comfy, but stupid.
I've very glad the young lady wasn't badly injured. Hopefully, folks may take this as a lesson learned.

#69021 - 10/15/13 12:40 AM Re: Rockfall on Birdland [Re: retroscree]
OldEric Offline

Its (being in a hammock) pretty common there. And other (climbing) places too.

#69022 - 10/15/13 01:21 AM Re: Rockfall on Birdland [Re: OldEric]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Maybe when you put up the hammock there should be some kind of ripcord knot on it, so you can drop and run.

#69023 - 10/15/13 02:14 AM Re: Rockfall on Birdland [Re: donald perry]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Wow. A basketball-sized rock. Could that ever have been a lot worse.

Hammocks are common? I haven't seen that, but I've gotten pretty good at avoiding popular places on weekends.

The last time I failed to evacuate the weekend Trapps disaster area was two weeks ago. I saw someone---who wasn't paying attention to what the pile of rope on the ledge was doing---send a rock the size of two fists down eighty feet or so where there were five or six people milling around, including a couple with a very small baby. This happened just as I was opening my mouth to say his ropes were lying on some loose rocks and he needed to pay attention to what they were doing. Too late...

The rock hit the cliff once and bounced out over everyone below.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored