Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 16 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#692 - 08/15/00 05:57 PM climbing in the Dak's
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone been climbing in the Dak's? I was went there and did some back country hiking/camping...on the way i stopped at Chapel Pond and some of the other surrounding climbing places..how is there?
Greg

#693 - 08/15/00 06:00 PM Re: climbing in the Dak's
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
Look through the forum-there are hundreds of posts about climbing in the daks.

#694 - 08/17/00 03:15 PM Re: climbing in the Dak's
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
I just got back from my first trip to the Daks. Lots of fun but steep, intimidating, and sandbagged. I wrote a TR (although it deals more with my lead head problem than climbing at the Daks). You can see it at:

http://www.tradgirl.com/daks

I'm planning on going back for the Labor Day weekend.

Dawn

#695 - 08/20/00 05:56 PM Chapel Pond boulder/TR pr
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Just passed through Chapel Pond the other day and the only climbing I did was a quick TR on a delightful roadside boulder maybe 1/4 mile downhill (north) from the beer walls parking area. There in the woods, at road level and all of 40' off the shoulder, is a stellar handcrack about 25-30' tall. To the boulderers it is probably a highball, but to sprained-ankle-paranoid me, it was a top rope problem. It isn't in Mellor's book, and I'm curious if any of you Keene Valley regulars have done it. It overhangs a bit and felt like stiff 5.10 to me. But I suck at strenuous cracks, and given the North Country penchant for stiff ratings, it's probably a 5.9 . In any event, look for this next time you have an hour to kill. It's on the left side as you walk down towards the Roaring Brook Falls overlook.

#696 - 08/23/00 12:41 AM Re: Chapel Pond boulder/TR pr [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Jim Lawyer Offline

Loc: Pompey, NY
I've always known that to be "Crack in the Woods" (yeah, just like the one in N.H.), and I remember seeing it listed in one of Mellor's guides as 5.10.

#697 - 11/25/00 05:31 PM Re: climbing in the Dak's
Anonymous
Unregistered

for climbing go to the beer walls or the spiders webb which is accross from the beer walls. it is the one with the slideof bolders. for great hikeing go on pitch off or the trpe dykes. look in mellors book for futher info

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored