Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 2 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#69220 - 11/09/13 03:26 AM Future of the MUA
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
The DEC is finishing up the unit management plan for the Shawangunk Multiple Use Area, and is holding a public meeting to take suggestions and opinions from the public. Two of the three suggested management actions for the MUA are a land swap, effectively closing it to free camping, or straight up posting it as no camping. If climbers want the right to continue to stay there for free, they must have their voice heard. Here is the link to the draft UMP and to the public hearing announcement

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/94158.html

An excerpt from the press release with times, location and partial agenda:
"The State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) will host a public meeting on Thursday, November 14th to discuss the draft Shawangunk Ridge Unit Management Plan (UMP). Public comments on the proposed plan are being accepted until December 15, 2013.

The public meeting will be held at the Ellenville Public Library, 40 Center Street, Ellenville, NY from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. The first half hour will be an open house format to provide time for the public to informally discuss the draft plan with DEC Lands and Forest staff. At 7 p.m., DEC staff will briefly present highlights of the draft plan. Following the presentation, the public will have an opportunity to comment on the plan."

#69226 - 11/10/13 08:02 PM Re: Future of the MUA [Re: Rickster]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
It can't hurt to go and voice opinions, but I am pretty sure the closing of the MUA is a done deal once the new campground opens.

#69227 - 11/10/13 08:26 PM Re: Future of the MUA [Re: TerrieM]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
What makes you so sure Terrie?

#69233 - 11/11/13 01:18 PM Re: Future of the MUA [Re: RangerRob]
Doug Offline

I'd like it to stay. I can't make it to a public meeting hours away on a weekday, but the link does include an e-mail address for comments for those in similar situations.

I'll voice my opinion that way after I get some time to review the draft plan. Though the place seemed much less useful to me once parking was curtailed to just the lot. I don't see any parking changes mentioned from a quick skim.

With folks not carpooling and those camping illegally, there is not enough room for legal campers to park during peak periods. I think the parking is barely adequate for all legal campers if the sites are at capacity. Heading into town for dinner can mean having nowhere to park when you head back to camp. I don't see any notes about parking changes in there, which makes sense given the overuse noted in the draft plan.

It is a tough situation. Folks parking there to sleep in their vehicles, or those tossing a bag down anywhere mean insufficient parking for those camping at sites. Rangers can't constantly patrol it, and besides ticketing the campers not in legal spots, do they have the ability to make them leave to free up parking for legal campers? Perhaps that is a suggestion to be made? Getting booted late at night for illegal camping will likely send a message and will no doubt spread to other climbers by word of mouth and message boards if regularly and strictly enforced.

Seems like it will worsen with Slime closing (which I assume means an end to folks camping in their vehicles in the West Trapps lot).

#69276 - 11/13/13 09:15 PM Re: Future of the MUA [Re: Doug]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I would be sad to see MUA close. It was the site for my bachelor party, portions of whch I can remember, and has always been a nice place to crash overnight during the off-season. It's popularity would appear the undoing of our future enjoyment.

Moderator:  Jannette, phlan, webmaster 
Sponsored