Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69368 - 12/06/13 03:15 AM Climbing in the Rain
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
What is the hardest climb you have done while the cliff was wet or it was raining?

#69369 - 12/06/13 03:22 AM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

I tried to get up Birdland for hours in the thick fog, everything was wet, and then I had to back off.

I might have been able to make it, but by the time I found the better gear placements it was dark and started to rain harder, so I chickened out, it was really unpredictable.

When I got up past the first pin doing the first overhang it was completely wet. I made it to that little ledge on the prow and then my belayer gave me tension because he could not understand what the word !!! SLACK !!! meant, so that made it at least 5.10. Ever have that happen?

Then I got past the next pin, and I was trying to get my foot up on that bucket, but the right hand was about to pot and I had to commit to standing on that pebble. It seemed like I was going to loose some skin, or maybe bang my head. So I thought it would be better not to rush this one, after all this is all new to me.

Maybe next time.

Edited by donald perry (12/06/13 03:46 AM)

#69371 - 12/06/13 02:15 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: donald perry]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

One from my 'dumb things I wouldn't do again' file.

I once cowered about 2/3 of the way up the 1st pitch of Birdland (after the main difficulty) for about 5-10 minutes in the middle of an insane Wagnerian thunderstorm and then for a further 20 minutes while the rock streamed with water and then dried sufficiently for me get out of there.

#69372 - 12/06/13 03:52 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: ianmanger]
donald perry Offline
veteran

mistake: pop, not pot

#69373 - 12/06/13 05:35 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: ianmanger]
Daniel Online   content
veteran

Originally Posted By: ianmanger
in the middle of an insane Wagnerian thunderstorm

Yes, those women flying around on horses while signing at the top of their lungs can be quite distracting when one is trying to set some gear!

#69374 - 12/06/13 05:37 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: donald perry]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Many many years ago when Skytop wasn't off limits, it began to rain when I was there. So we ducked under the Foops roof and did the dry first pitch and rapped down under that "awning." Alas, there are very few such opportunities in the Gunks.

#69375 - 12/06/13 06:29 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: oenophore]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
i had a wild outing at Millbrook a few years ago to look at the falcon eggs with the biologist. a huge thunderstorm had been predicted. sure enough we were done with the eggs and the whole sky opened up with torrential rain, thunder and lightning. we had to climb to the top nonetheless. the amazing part was we stayed dry the whole time because Millbrook is so steep. even so there was a solid curtain of rain behind our backs, like climbing on the inside of a waterfall - spooky, weird, and wild.

#69376 - 12/06/13 09:03 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: phlan]
fotovult Online   content

Loc: ny
Got on star action last sunday. Looked wet from the ground. Got to the crux and it was dripping on me - turns out I was right.

#69377 - 12/06/13 09:56 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: fotovult]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
I've done Fat City Direct in a torrential downpour without getting wet at all until the final moves at the top. As Phlan described at Millbrook, it was like climbing behind a waterfall.

#69386 - 12/08/13 08:51 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: rg@ofmc]
Lucander Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Stone Ridge, NY
Was at the cliff today (brr), Star Action looked like a Canadian Rockies ice climb with little drips of icicles everywhere.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored