Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 3 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69368 - 12/06/13 03:15 AM Climbing in the Rain
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
What is the hardest climb you have done while the cliff was wet or it was raining?

#69369 - 12/06/13 03:22 AM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

I tried to get up Birdland for hours in the thick fog, everything was wet, and then I had to back off.

I might have been able to make it, but by the time I found the better gear placements it was dark and started to rain harder, so I chickened out, it was really unpredictable.

When I got up past the first pin doing the first overhang it was completely wet. I made it to that little ledge on the prow and then my belayer gave me tension because he could not understand what the word !!! SLACK !!! meant, so that made it at least 5.10. Ever have that happen?

Then I got past the next pin, and I was trying to get my foot up on that bucket, but the right hand was about to pot and I had to commit to standing on that pebble. It seemed like I was going to loose some skin, or maybe bang my head. So I thought it would be better not to rush this one, after all this is all new to me.

Maybe next time.

Edited by donald perry (12/06/13 03:46 AM)

#69371 - 12/06/13 02:15 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: donald perry]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

One from my 'dumb things I wouldn't do again' file.

I once cowered about 2/3 of the way up the 1st pitch of Birdland (after the main difficulty) for about 5-10 minutes in the middle of an insane Wagnerian thunderstorm and then for a further 20 minutes while the rock streamed with water and then dried sufficiently for me get out of there.

#69372 - 12/06/13 03:52 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: ianmanger]
donald perry Offline
veteran

mistake: pop, not pot

#69373 - 12/06/13 05:35 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: ianmanger]
Daniel Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: ianmanger
in the middle of an insane Wagnerian thunderstorm

Yes, those women flying around on horses while signing at the top of their lungs can be quite distracting when one is trying to set some gear!

#69374 - 12/06/13 05:37 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: donald perry]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Many many years ago when Skytop wasn't off limits, it began to rain when I was there. So we ducked under the Foops roof and did the dry first pitch and rapped down under that "awning." Alas, there are very few such opportunities in the Gunks.

#69375 - 12/06/13 06:29 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: oenophore]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
i had a wild outing at Millbrook a few years ago to look at the falcon eggs with the biologist. a huge thunderstorm had been predicted. sure enough we were done with the eggs and the whole sky opened up with torrential rain, thunder and lightning. we had to climb to the top nonetheless. the amazing part was we stayed dry the whole time because Millbrook is so steep. even so there was a solid curtain of rain behind our backs, like climbing on the inside of a waterfall - spooky, weird, and wild.

#69376 - 12/06/13 09:03 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: phlan]
fotovult Offline

Loc: ny
Got on star action last sunday. Looked wet from the ground. Got to the crux and it was dripping on me - turns out I was right.

#69377 - 12/06/13 09:56 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: fotovult]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
I've done Fat City Direct in a torrential downpour without getting wet at all until the final moves at the top. As Phlan described at Millbrook, it was like climbing behind a waterfall.

#69386 - 12/08/13 08:51 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: rg@ofmc]
Lucander Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Stone Ridge, NY
Was at the cliff today (brr), Star Action looked like a Canadian Rockies ice climb with little drips of icicles everywhere.

#69388 - 12/09/13 03:08 AM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: Lucander]
fotovult Offline

Loc: ny
Saw a bunch hanging from Balrog a week or so ago. Would love to shoot someone leading through that - any takers?

#69389 - 12/09/13 06:21 AM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: fotovult]
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet's hand
Lead Balrog dripping wet once, with Phlan, sans falls or hangs. Birdcage, too, the lower section dripping, soon after Balrog, when I was experimenting with leading things at my limit wet.

Found out that wet is often more a mental thing than a slippery thing.

#69390 - 12/09/13 02:25 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: yorick]
Rockanice Offline

Loc: New York

I was among a group including Phlan that had at Never Never Land after a morning downpour, wet and slimy but the rain had stopped.

#71091 - 01/04/14 04:19 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: Lucander]
donald perry Offline
veteran

After I got back from this climbing a 5.8 in the rain, I realized I got much more of a workout then I should have. A little later I was in my basement stuffing insulation over furniture back toward the outside wall of the house. The air leaks in the basement from there and I had to seal it up with fiberglass. So I needed to stand on my toes and punch it in with the tips of my fingers. I was doing little squares between the beams, I did 60'. On the second day in the bathroom I looked down and I saw this giant bump at the very top of my leg. I went to the Chiropractor and he worked on it, it is a big strain knot and became very painful when he beat on it! I have been rubbing it and using a vibrator on it, it just gets smaller and then gets bigger, but it does hurt less, and now I am wrapping it. On top of that I caught a virus from all the rat shit in the rafters for two weeks.

Anyway, the moral of the story is NEVER STOP CLIMBING! And if you take off, better start really really slow and carefully for AT LEAST A MONTH. And if that does not work, maybe you need to stop eating the poison from Shop Rite, like soda with appertain or coffee in liquid Styrofoam, or water with Fluoride. A very little fluoride is good, but you guys are probably OD-ing on it and doesn't even know it because you don't know how or don't care to test for it. And then there is the gluten and the plastic and the hormones, it all accumulates until you are ____________. You can fill in the blank.

Anyway, if I die from this giant knot on my leg the size of a burrito don't forget what I told you. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. If you have been sitting around for 6 weeks START SLOW!

#71092 - 01/04/14 04:20 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: Lucander]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Bridland UPDATE: After I got back from this climbing a 5.8 in the rain, I realized I got much more of a workout then I should have. A little later I was in my basement stuffing insulation over furniture back toward the outside wall of the house. The air leaks in the basement from there and I had to seal it up with fiberglass. So I needed to stand on my toes and punch it in with the tips of my fingers. I was doing little squares between the beams, I did 60'. On the second day in the bathroom I looked down and I saw this giant bump at the very top of my leg. I went to the Chiropractor and he worked on it, it is a big strain knot and became very painful when he beat on it! I have been rubbing it and using a vibrator on it, it just gets smaller and then gets bigger, but it does hurt less, and now I am wrapping it. On top of that I caught a virus from all the rat shit in the rafters for two weeks.

Anyway, the moral of the story is NEVER STOP CLIMBING! And if you take off, better start really really slow and carefully for AT LEAST A MONTH. And if that does not work, maybe you need to stop eating the poison from Shop Rite, like soda with appertain or coffee in liquid Styrofoam, or water with Fluoride. A very little fluoride is good, but you guys are probably OD-ing on it and doesn't even know it because you don't know how or don't care to test for it. And then there is the gluten and the plastic and the hormones, it all accumulates until you are ____________. You can fill in the blank.

Anyway, if I die from this giant knot on my leg the size of a burrito don't forget what I told you. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. If you have been sitting around for 6 weeks START SLOW!

#71093 - 01/04/14 04:22 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: Lucander]
donald perry Offline
veteran

After I got back from this climbing a 5.8 in the rain, I realized I got much more of a workout then I should have. A little later I was in my basement stuffing insulation over furniture back toward the outside wall of the house. The air leaks in the basement from there and I had to seal it up with fiberglass. So I needed to stand on my toes and punch it in with the tips of my fingers. I was doing little squares between the beams, I did 60'. On the second day in the bathroom I looked down and I saw this giant bump at the very top of my leg. I went to the Chiropractor and he worked on it, it is a big strain knot and became very painful when he beat on it! I have been rubbing it and using a vibrator on it, it just gets smaller and then gets bigger, but it does hurt less, and now I am wrapping it. On top of that I caught a virus from all the rat shit in the rafters for two weeks.

Anyway, if I die from this giant knot on my leg the size of a burrito don't forget what I told you. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. If you have been sitting around for 6 weeks START SLOW.

#71094 - 01/04/14 04:22 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: Lucander]
donald perry Offline
veteran

this thing is not working

#71095 - 01/04/14 04:25 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: Lucander]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Anyway, if I die from this giant knot on my leg the size of a burrito don't forget what I told you. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. If you have been sitting around for 6 weeks START SLOW.

#71096 - 01/04/14 04:27 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: Lucander]
donald perry Offline
veteran

I give up, I post and I can see nothing. I tried with two different browsers. I will wait till tomorrow and try again. Grumble grumble grumble. But it says I posted 55 seconds ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#71097 - 01/05/14 02:32 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: donald perry]
Carpal Tunnel

Don, I suppose you didn't realize you posted in quadruplicate.

#71098 - 01/06/14 04:26 AM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: Lucander]
SethG Offline
addict

Loc: NYC
There is something weird going on. I see some posts in the active topics list but when I go to the actual threads they don't appear. This is true of Don's post as well as Oenephore's response. I also observed this problem in the Erect Direction thread.

#71099 - 01/06/14 02:43 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: SethG]
Doug Online   content

A number of threads are listed with negative replies too...

#71100 - 01/06/14 08:20 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: Doug]
Carpal Tunnel

Did UBB threads also do the Affordable Care website?

#71102 - 01/08/14 02:50 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: Lucander]
donald perry Offline
veteran

test

#71103 - 01/08/14 08:02 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: Lucander]
donald perry Offline
veteran

test

#71104 - 01/08/14 08:18 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: oenophore]
donald perry Offline
veteran

No, there is a delay on the posts now which gives the person posting even less control.

What do you think of this movie, do you think my diet has anything to do with my lack of ability to climb hard in the rain without strains?

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2315431/What-do-you-think-of-this-movie-Is-good-or-bad

#71105 - 01/08/14 08:42 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: donald perry]
curmudgeon Online   content
addict

Quote:
I have been rubbing it and using a vibrator on it, it just gets smaller and then gets bigger, but it does hurt less, and now I am wrapping it.

More information than I need to know X 4. eek

#71108 - 01/10/14 06:17 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: donald perry]
retroscree Online   content
enthusiast

Jeezus Don, use a word processor or something to edit your posts and when you're happy, paste the post into a SINGLE post here. Remember not to use any kind of special characters or the quote marks because the shitty forum software (that was going to be changed 2 years ago) can't handle them.

If you don't see it immediately, the solution isn't to post it again.....and again.....and again.....and again.

#71109 - 01/12/14 12:02 AM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: oenophore]
enthusiast

Something is super whacked about this thread. I posted and it shows in the post list, but not in the actual thread. Also had the unread flag show as having new posts several times but there were no new posts.

Guess it has something to do with the webmaster no longer giving a shit about the site.

#71110 - 01/12/14 10:48 AM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: retroscree]
Carpal Tunnel

Is it the webmaster or his software?

#71114 - 01/17/14 04:29 AM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: oenophore]
curmudgeon Online   content
addict

Testing 1,2,3,4 to see if site working correctly

#71116 - 01/18/14 03:31 AM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: oenophore]
donald perry Offline
veteran

can not post sometimes. I think gunks . com is broken on my end.

#71117 - 01/18/14 09:03 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: donald perry]
Carpal Tunnel

As much as I respect the webmaster and admire his devotion to his cause, I can't but guess he is helpless to solve this problem or (I hope not) indifferent to it.

#71126 - 01/30/14 02:52 AM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: oenophore]
donald perry Offline
veteran

can I post yet?

#71127 - 01/30/14 10:25 AM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: donald perry]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: donald perry
can I post yet?
But you just did.

#71128 - 01/30/14 04:01 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: oenophore]
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: oenophore
Is it the webmaster or his software?

Same difference. He doesn't give a shit about the site falling apart, so he certainly doesn't give a shit about the fucked up software he's using.

He owns a web development service, doesn't he? This site is a great business card for him.

#71134 - 02/01/14 06:12 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: oenophore]
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: oenophore
As much as I respect the webmaster and admire his devotion to his cause, I can't but guess he is helpless to solve this problem or (I hope not) indifferent to it.

What devotion? He's totally indifferent to the site and no longer gives two shits about it. Why would anyone respect the webmaster at this point? He sure as hell doesn't care about anyone here or the site. Gunks.com is dead - it just hasn't had its plug pulled or is buried yet.

#71139 - 02/03/14 07:36 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: oenophore]
donald perry Offline
veteran

i can not post

#71144 - 02/04/14 03:43 PM Re: Climbing in the Rain [Re: donald perry]
Doug Online   content

Originally Posted By: donald perry
i can not post

sometimes you can?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster