Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 6 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#69387 - 12/09/13 02:12 AM Malta
J@son Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Recently my Fiancee and I went to Europe for our honeymoon, and spent the bulk of our time in Malta. We were able to get out one day and climb with a local guide service.

We top roped two pitches to get familiar with the guides then did a 4 pitch sport route, which took us out over the deep blue Mediterranean. Next we had lunch and hiked into a canyon, then climbed out taking another 3 or 4 pitches.

The whole Island is basically limestone, which we have experienced out west, but this stuff was very different. On top of that the landscape is also quite different than the northeast. Lots of succulents, no tall trees and a bit of a mid-eastern feel. Lots of beige.

The locals all speak English, and were friendly enough. The guides went out of their way to make us feel welcome.
There is a ton of climbing there and I would recommend it to any one looking for an out of the way place. Only down side is that the guide book for the area is out of print and hard to come by.

Anyone interested in pics or details, let me know.

Cheers to all, J.

#71080 - 12/18/13 05:52 PM Re: Malta [Re: J@son]
slevin Offline
stranger

Second that! From my recent trip, it is supreme pocketed limestone, with awesome pumpfest roofs and caves. Stevie Haston has a free guide book published on his blog, you can search for it.

#71101 - 01/08/14 03:09 AM Re: Malta [Re: slevin]
tallgirlnyc Offline

Loc: Cold Spring NY
I spent some time in Malta as my ex in-laws lived there for part of the year. I agree with everything above and also a bit of trivia if you care. Many scenes from Gladiator were shot in Malta.
Also a short ferry ride will take you to the isle of Gozo which also has many amazing rock formations. Go visit if you can.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored