Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#71282 - 04/09/14 12:25 AM Rock fall near Fat City
Ralph Offline

On our way out on Sun. evening we met Ranger Andrew and he told us there had been a rock fall near Fat City. He said it wasn't huge, but you wouldn't have wanted to be near it. The rangers will recon during the week to see if there is loose rock above.

#71289 - 04/10/14 03:04 AM Re: Rock fall near Fat City [Re: Ralph]
Gail Offline
journeyman

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Any updates?

#71298 - 04/11/14 06:07 PM Re: Rock fall near Fat City [Re: Ralph]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Ralph
On our way out on Sun. evening we met Ranger Andrew and he told us there had been a rock fall near Fat City. He said it wasn't huge, but you wouldn't have wanted to be near it. The rangers will recon during the week to see if there is loose rock above.

There was no loose rock on the cliff face, and nothing fell off the cliff face.

#71305 - 04/12/14 07:23 PM Re: Rock fall near Fat City [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

There were three guys and a girl between 18 and 19 trowing football sized rocks off there. I yelled up (one had his feet danling over the edge). to no avail. I was hoping I could just get back to ...what I was doing. Then a beer can. So I called the rescue rangers, Andrew got there before I could. They denied it with curses and I cursed them to their faces. I warned them that what had happened is no difference then coming into someone elses house and firing a gun. There should be a sign there, hikers below

#71306 - 04/13/14 02:13 AM Re: Rock fall near Fat City [Re: donald perry]
Gail Offline
journeyman

Quite a mess at the base of the cliff. there are huge rocks everywhere. Very scary.

Even scarier is the fact that people are throwing rocks off the cliff! How idiotic is that?

#71307 - 04/13/14 02:36 AM Re: Rock fall near Fat City [Re: donald perry]
Valpine Offline
journeyman

Loc: W.Sand Lake, NY
Originally Posted By: donald perry
There should be a sign there, hikers below

I too have had rocks thrown down on me from hoodlums atop the nears.

There should be a sign, one that explains that purposely throwing rocks when there is a chance that there are others below is depraved indifference to human life and therefore a felony.

#71345 - 04/28/14 08:18 PM Re: Rock fall near Fat City [Re: Valpine]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
This thread pops up every year. It will probably continue to do so until someone presses charges. When I was a kid, I definitely did stupid shit. The thought of getting in serious trouble certainly made me think twice. If I had heard that "so and so got arrested when he went to blah-blah-blah" I would've gone somewhere else.

GO

#71347 - 04/29/14 02:59 AM Re: Rock fall near Fat City [Re: GOclimb]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

That happened to us many years ago back when we were still allowed to climb at Skytop. While my friend was leading a climb, there were kids in the gazebo above throwing rocks down at him. He was so pissed he would have killed them when he got to the top if they hadn't run away. Luckily he wasn't hit.

#71351 - 04/29/14 03:34 PM Re: Rock fall near Fat City [Re: Jannette]
donald perry Offline
veteran

There should be a sign:

"Notice: Do not throw anything off the top of the cliff. There are people at the base of the cliff hiking and rockclimbing."

Just because you or I would never think of throwing things off the cliff does not mean anything. The people that throw things off the Near Traps are the same people who throw things down the turn-off, there are plenty of bottles there. When I ran up there and saw their faces there was one obstinate man-child who cursed and said he did not throw anything off the cliff, but at the same time there was a girl and a few other young people who did look gravely concerned. (perhaps they thought there was going to be more people coming up and maybe a fist fight at the edge of the cliff) If there was a sign then I believe in this case that the other young people would have at the very least left the seance of the climb. I figured out that they thought they were doing nothing wrong, any more than when they drove up here perhaps breaking the speed limit 65 MPH. But in this case there is no sign for anything.

Edited by donald perry (04/29/14 03:52 PM)

#71352 - 04/29/14 04:06 PM Re: Rock fall near Fat City [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Edited by donald perry (04/29/14 04:08 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored