Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68836 - 09/17/13 11:11 PM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: retroscree]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Some may remember the story of Pete Absolon's death in 2007 as told in Outside Mag. http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/climbing/rock-climbing/Dropped.html?page=1

Just short of the summit of a Wind River climb, he was killed instantly by a rock thrown from the summit, when someone up top couldn't imagine anyone was below them.

We'll all agree that the cliffs have gotten incredibly, even mid week and throughout the year, leave it the ranger staff to decide and if necessary when and how to trundle anything. As preserve employees, they have the authority, as well as the manpower to close off a section of the crag as well as the carriage roads as needed to insure it's done safely.

#68837 - 09/17/13 11:29 PM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: Rickster]
retroscree Online   content
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Some may remember the story of Pete Absolon's death in 2007 as told in Outside Mag. http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/climbing/rock-climbing/Dropped.html?page=1

Just short of the summit of a Wind River climb, he was killed instantly by a rock thrown from the summit, when someone up top couldn't imagine anyone was below them.

We'll all agree that the cliffs have gotten incredibly, even mid week and throughout the year, leave it the ranger staff to decide and if necessary when and how to trundle anything. As preserve employees, they have the authority, as well as the manpower to close off a section of the crag as well as the carriage roads as needed to insure it's done safely.

+1
I weren't serious.

#68839 - 09/17/13 11:35 PM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: retroscree]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
People run the carriage road in storms all the time.

#68841 - 09/18/13 02:39 AM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: Kent]
retroscree Online   content
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Kent
People run the carriage road in storms all the time.

So what. They're just cluttering up the place.

#68843 - 09/18/13 11:20 AM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: Kent]
Ralph Offline

There's a certain ranger and a physicist that have a habit of climbing in storms.
Safety first = Up on Up
We are talking about a mere pebble compared to the Rickstone.

#71379 - 05/04/14 11:52 PM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: SethG]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
A very large (ca. 200 lb) rock was pulled off the top of No Glow this afternoon by a novice climber. I imagine it is the block discussed in this thread. It exploded at the GT Ledge and sent shrapnel from tiny to 50 lb pieces in a 100 foot spread. There were 4 of us at the base at the time. No one was seriously injured but one climbed needed on-site medical attention for a soft tissue leg injury and another climbed experienced a shoulder tweak as a result of the panicked evasive maneuvers. The big chunks that hit the ground would have killed anyone instantly had they been hit.

#71382 - 05/05/14 03:11 AM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: Mike Rawdon]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
Lordy, I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I'm very grateful no one was more seriously injured.

#71383 - 05/05/14 12:16 PM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: SethG]
Lucander Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Stone Ridge, NY
It's been years since I climbed No Glow - that perched flake kept me from wanting to do it again. Gonna get back on that one soon!

#71384 - 05/05/14 01:30 PM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: Lucander]
curmudgeon Online   content
addict

I wonder if it was the large block just above and right of climber in my photo?

#71385 - 05/05/14 01:54 PM Re: Loose Block Hazard on P2 of No Glow [Re: curmudgeon]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
Mudge, you mean the sickle block that everyone yards on at the crux? If that is gone the climb will really be different. Plus the Texas death block will still be there waiting above..... I'll be interested to hear what others discover when they go up there.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored