Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#71386 - 05/05/14 01:59 PM Unsafe (IMHO) Anchor on Outsider in the Nears
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
There is a steel cable anchor atop Outsider in the Nears. This anchor is attached to a coffee table block that is just sitting there on the shelf. This anchor block isn't that big. I started to rap off of this anchor yesterday, but as I weighted the block it shifted! After I scrambled back to the ledge my partner and I were able to make the block move without too much effort. We ended up not using it. I would advise you not to use it.

We downclimbed a pitch to the rap tree above the Voids. It is a 5.easy downclimb. You could also do the next pitch of Inside Out, which is 5.6 and goes up the face behind the ledge. Once atop that pitch, the book says there is a rap tree-- so you could rap down to the Voids tree. Or if there is no tree there you could probably go up and right to the Main Line tree.

#71388 - 05/05/14 04:41 PM Re: Unsafe (IMHO) Anchor on Outsider in the Nears [Re: SethG]
tradjunkie Online   content
enthusiast

Yikes.

I have no comment on the block, but I'll say that continuing up Inside-Out makes an excellent linkup for Outsider as that upper "5.6" pitch of Inside-Out is more intimidating than the "5.7" of Outsider. It's also easy to just walk down from the top of the cliff at that point.

So does this mean you have to use that scraggly pine tree to toprope the Voids? Or can you build a decent anchor on top of the block?

#71389 - 05/05/14 05:06 PM Re: Unsafe (IMHO) Anchor on Outsider in the Nears [Re: tradjunkie]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
The scraggly tree on top of the Voids is where I always finished Outsiders. It is not at all inspiring, itself.

#71390 - 05/05/14 05:49 PM Re: Unsafe (IMHO) Anchor on Outsider in the Nears [Re: Julie]
SethG Offline
old hand

Loc: NYC
Julie the climbing after you pass the tree is really good! Easier than the crack system below but more exposed, along the right edge of the huge leaning block. Really nice.

And Junkie, I thought that upper pitch looked really neat, we should have done it.

There is a great crack in the top of the big block in which you could build a three cam anchor and in fact we ultimately did so. It's only 20 feet or so above the tree to the top of the big block. I agree the tree isn't so inspiring either. But I preferred it to the cable block. Like I said, we should have just climbed the next pitch.

#71393 - 05/06/14 03:48 PM Re: Unsafe (IMHO) Anchor on Outsider in the Nears [Re: SethG]
fotovult Online   content

Loc: ny
I've used the voids rap many times, never had a major concern but haven't been up there since end of season last year.

Top pitch of inside out is a bit grungy - there is a rap tree up there. I think the middle pitch is pretty rad at 5.9, overhanging hand crack with a porthole finish.

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored