Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#71394 - 05/08/14 12:47 AM Poison Ivy Alert
KathyS Offline

Loc: NY, USA
I\'ve rarely seen PI at the base of the cliff, and never on the wall itself...until last night. Was climbing City Lights yesterday after work and spotted a small tendril of the nasty vine on the ledge after the crux crack. There are some ferns and a bit of dirt there. Easy to avoid since it is still small, but just a heads-up for the sensitive. It could turn out to be Jersey creeper, which sometimes only sports 3 leaves on the tips of new shoots, but I don\'t think so. The 3 glossy reddish leaves had the right shape for PI.

#71396 - 05/08/14 04:30 AM Re: Poison Ivy Alert [Re: KathyS]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Could be, but it would be very unusual. (Global warming?) I\'ve never seen poison ivy above the carriage road.

#71397 - 05/08/14 10:01 AM Re: Poison Ivy Alert [Re: KathyS]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Jersey creeper? Do you mean Virginia creeper?

#71399 - 05/08/14 12:05 PM Re: Poison Ivy Alert [Re: oenophore]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
My college geology professor at New Paltz pointed out one day that one would not find poison ivy above the carriage roads, but only along the carriage road. Why? Because of the crushed shale used to pave the carriage ways. The soils higher up and away from the shale have the wrong PH. The added shale or the strata beneath that are exposed have changed the PH, hence some PI is found..

#71401 - 05/08/14 02:29 PM Re: Poison Ivy Alert [Re: Rickster]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
I heard the same explanation. The crushed shale wasn\'t mentioned, but the soil pH from the shale stratum was cited.

#71404 - 05/09/14 04:28 PM Re: Poison Ivy Alert [Re: rg@ofmc]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
In early season, PI can look like creeper. But if you look carefully, there\'s a distinguishing aspect of the leaves themselves (aside from color and shine) that gives PI away.

The notches on PI are asymmetrical. That is, they are different on each side of the leaf, while creeper\'s notches are much more regular and symmetrical across each leaf. PI\'s notches are blunt and even rounded, while creeper\'s are sharp at the end. PI\'s notches are often very varied within the same side of the leaf (BIG to small) while creeper\'s are more similar.

--PI paranoic

#71405 - 05/09/14 05:27 PM Re: Poison Ivy Alert [Re: Julie]
KathyS Offline

Loc: NY, USA
I know the theory as to why PI isn\'t rampant at the base of the cliff, but I also know what it looks like. The tiny leaves were reddish, irregular and shiny little trios, so I raised the warning flag. Keep any eye out.

Yes, Oenophore, I have heard it called both (perhaps incorrectly). That plant is what I was referring to.

#71406 - 05/11/14 11:59 PM Re: Poison Ivy Alert [Re: KathyS]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
If you know you have touched Poison Ivy and do not want to get a rash, if you rub a little concrete into the area where the oil from the poison ivy touched you *for a few minutes* it will suck out the oil. After this you should immediately wash it off with water. To be safe, if you wait too long you will get a concrete burn and only be rubbing concrete into a inevitable poison ivy rash and make it much worse. It also depends how sensitive you are to concrete. If you have sensitive skin forget about this idea.

I invented this cure myself, so if you want to know more about it you are not going to find it on the internet.

#71407 - 05/12/14 12:03 AM Re: Poison Ivy Alert [Re: donald perry]
donald perry Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Never mind, I found it on the internet.

#71409 - 05/12/14 09:40 AM Re: Poison Ivy Alert [Re: donald perry]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
\\\\\\\"rub a little concrete into the area where the oil from the poison ivy touched you\\\"

Liquid concrete mix or solid stuff? I\\\'ve heard that Fels-Naphtha soap is the thing. But one isn\\\'t always sure what was touched by the leaves.

(Uh oh, this ^%$%$@#$ app is inserting backslashes into text!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored