Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71448 - 05/25/14 02:10 AM Gunks Graffiti
Gail Offline
journeyman

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Someone has written, in silver marker, \"Leave No Trace?\" near the base of Minty and High E. There may be more messages, I just haven\'t found them. Using my best graphology, I would guess that it\'s a female.

Very strange. Anyone else find those messages?

#71449 - 05/25/14 02:28 AM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: Gail]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Ugh. There were two incidents last summer; see http://gunks.com/ubbthreads7/ubbthreads....6ade41f3af4b12. But these new taggings involve walking down the Carriage Road and then heading up access trails, a development I\'d consider ominous for the security of gear left at the base of climbs.

I\'ve owned a Pacsafe for years but never used it in the Gunks. Perhaps it is time?

#71450 - 05/25/14 02:45 AM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: rg@ofmc]
Gail Offline
journeyman

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Good point. I guess I am going to have to figure out what to do with my phone. Break-ins, Graffiti...What\'s next?

#71451 - 05/25/14 03:41 AM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: Gail]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

I\'m assuming the graffiti didn\'t come from climbers, although maybe that\'s not realistic any more...

But if the assumption is still valid and non-climbers are up there messing around, then we may be seeing an unintended side-effect of access trails that have prominent beginnings on the Carriage Road.

http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l-bag-protector

#71452 - 05/25/14 09:40 PM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: rg@ofmc]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
While working on trail crew today we were able to uncover some further info on the recent graffiti activity. The High E tag is hidden about twenty feet up in a small alcove, wet and moss covered. At the top left side of the alcove at the top of the crescent shaped left edge is a short straight edge. Look inside the alcove around the right facing edge and you\'ll find the phrase \"Leave no Trace\"

It\'s location would lead us to believe this tag is the work of a climber or at least an adventuresome tourist.

Another climber awaiting his turn to begin the High E reported that his party very recently saw a like graffiti tag on Roseland in the Nears. Again, about 20 feet or so up the route.

That\'s now three routes with this tag. Who knows how many routes may have been tagged seeing how the tags may not be in the most obvious and visible locations.

#71456 - 05/27/14 02:09 AM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: Rickster]
Valpine Offline
journeyman

Loc: W.Sand Lake, NY
I saw some on a rock near the base of Cedar Box/Finger Locks. \"Leave no trace?\" I think someone is trying to either send a message or protest something. It is hard to decypher what that message is though or on what side the \"artist\" stands hence it is just useless, meaningless garbage.

Edited by Valpine (05/27/14 02:09 AM)

#71457 - 05/27/14 02:16 AM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: Valpine]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Does anyone know what sorts of solutions/chemicals are needed to clean that shit up? Because just saying \"I saw it\" doesn\'t cut it. We need to make a list of all the locations and erase that stuff.

#71458 - 05/27/14 02:32 AM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: rg@ofmc]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Some answers to my own questions.

Have a look at http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/pdf/98231302.pdf ; some graffiti removers are way toxic! The best bet seems to be Graffiti-Gone. Here\'s the material and safety sheet: http://www.multi-sealcorp.com/remover.html. Seems to cost about $16 for a quart, http://www.granitecitytool.com/graffiti-gone-a-b-cleaner. Thorough rinsing is required; this could be a problem without some help from the Preserve.

#71459 - 05/27/14 09:26 AM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: rg@ofmc]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Some claims on FB led me to Google. Toothpaste and water will remove Sharpie Marker. However, if it is Sharpie Oil Based Paint Marker than it is back to stronger solvent based or just a wire brush and elbow grease. Maybe a wire rotary brush on a cordless drill.

#71460 - 05/27/14 02:29 PM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: Rickster]
joeantol Offline
journeyman

Loc: New York City
I saw one just under the big step on Raunchy.

The medium appears to be blackboard chalk as I was able to rub some of it off w/ a wet finger and a little elbow grease.

The letters had loops and curly-cues suggesting a woman\'s touch (or deliberate misdirection). The tag on the Guide\'s Wall did not have these flourishes.

I believe the question mark is significant. My take is that the culprit is making a statement about the contradiction of using chalk on climbs, yet espousing a \'leave no trace\' ethic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored