Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (wivanov, 1 invisible), 8 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71461 - 05/27/14 02:50 PM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: joeantol]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Minty, High E, Roseland, Raunchy, Cedar Box/Finger Locks…..

It is adding up. Who really knows when this began, or how many climbs have been tagged. If it is only chalk no worries eh? But, early reports were that it is some form of silver ink marker.

The writing on High E is immediately next to a very obvious chalked hold twenty feet up. It is not visible from the ground, but from only right there, from the climbers position.

Trail Crew is working below High E, we\'ll take a closer look at that one on Sunday.

I mentioned the earlier reports to Hank during our hiker rescue this past Sunday afternoon. He had not yet heard any word of these recent tags.

#71462 - 05/27/14 06:00 PM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: Rickster]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Transcon too, apparently.

Someone posted this to MP, from the NPS on graffiti removal:

http://www.nps.gov/tps/how-to-preserve/briefs/38-remove-graffiti.htm

#71463 - 05/27/14 08:44 PM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: Julie]
sketch Offline
stranger

Loc: brooklyn
There\'s a tag on Three Pines as well, about 20 feet up from the start. Someone\'s been busy.

#71464 - 05/27/14 09:14 PM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: sketch]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Hm. Think the taggers are trying to divert ranger attention away from, say, the parking lots?

#71465 - 05/27/14 11:19 PM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: Julie]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
At this rate, by the time anyone figures out the who and why, there will be dozens more. I\\\'m really hoping it\\\'s only chalk.

#71466 - 05/28/14 02:23 AM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: Rickster]
timh Offline

Loc: Delaware
Quote:
The writing on High E is immediately next to a very obvious chalked hold twenty feet up. It is not visible from the ground, but from only right there, from the climbers position.

Could this be somebody expressing their opinion on chalked holds? If so, they\'ve picked a real poor way to do it.

Since there tags are scattered around, could it also be some sort of weird climber-centric geocaching game?

#71469 - 05/28/14 01:13 PM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: timh]
joeantol Offline
journeyman

Loc: New York City
If folks could upload some pictures we could cross-post to RC or reddit. Perhaps a handwriting expert could determine if this is the work of one or several people and whether they\'re male or female. We could also figure out if this is exclusive to the Gunks or a trend seen elsewhere.

My bet is that this is the work of work of at least two people (tagger and belayer) or a bold soloist.

#71471 - 05/28/14 02:44 PM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: joeantol]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Actually, I think the best way to handle this is quietly and as much as possible off the internet. Taggers want attention, and denying them as much as possible helps to keep down their stoke. Posting pictures of their handiwork all over the internet plays into their desires, and starting arguments about whether climbers come anywhere near leave no trace ethics is probably exactly what they want to stimulate with their destructive attacks.

It sounds as if the Preserve isn\'t on top of this yet, but it makes the most sense for them to collect data on the location of tags. Volunteers could work from a Preserve data base to erase the crap. The quicker the better.

#71474 - 05/28/14 06:46 PM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: rg@ofmc]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
A follow up: in coordination with the Preserve, I\'m going to collect tagging data and coordinate responses. Please send me all info on tagging you have, and contact me if you would like to be part of the clean-up effort. And per my comments above, let\'s deny the taggers the pleasure of seeing their efforts on the internet by just sending me the info and not posting about it.

#71475 - 05/29/14 04:58 PM Re: Gunks Graffiti [Re: rg@ofmc]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Thanks for stepping up Rich!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored