Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#7144 - 10/30/02 08:25 PM Hiking with my dog
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 7 month old dog who is great with people and loves to swim and play outside. I have just started to get her into hiking and would like to hear from other people who hike with their dog.

I purchased a Kelty pack for her. I understand that you have to break in the dog with their new pack, has any one done this before. My wife and I really want to do this right so we can all enjoy the outdoors together.

I climb but will nevwer leave her at the base of a climb. I know that is a huge issue in the Gunks.

If any one has some good trails for hiking with a pet in the newpaltz bear mountain area that would be great.

Thanks

#7145 - 10/30/02 09:46 PM Re: Hiking with my dog
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
We take the MurphDog up Bear Mtn (there are 2 or 3 different trail options) all the time - he loves it.
Plus, he gets to swim in Hessian Pond at the bottom.

He did Anthony's Nose when he was just a wee pup, it was a bit too much for him then, and my wife had to carry him back down. It's no problem now.

He doesn't have a pack (lazy mutt - or is that smart doggie? ), so he relies on us to carry his snacks, water, leash, etc.

He also hikes w/ us in Fahnestock, on the AT, up Breakneck Ridge, Sugarloaf, Castle Rock, Taurus, Mt Beacon, Schunemunk, wherever.
(He comes climbing on occassion too, but he's a very good dog, so leaving him at the base hasn't been an issue thusfar. - don't take my word for it, crackers, phil, phlan, etc. can vouch for him )

Can't help w/ the pack question, but other than severe scrambling routes (like Giant's Workshop - that's too much for any dog), you should be able to take your dog hiking anywhere that you go.
(we even took him winter camping once, he did fine.)

#7146 - 10/31/02 03:31 AM Re: Hiking with my dog [Re: MurphysLaw]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
crackers, phil, phlan, etc. can vouch for him

Next expert witness please!

#7147 - 10/31/02 03:36 AM Re: Hiking with my dog [Re: GeeVee]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
do you think he realized he shot himself in the foot with his choice of expert witnesses?

#7148 - 10/31/02 01:30 PM Re: Hiking with my dog - 'expert witnesses' [Re: crackers]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
Well, it's not like they are convicted felons or anything.
(not convicted, anyway )

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored