Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#71656 - 09/05/14 10:23 PM Old Manhattan Bouldering Guide
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
Hey guys,

After 18 years my daughter is off to college ... in New York City. Because of that, I have recently found myself in Manhattan, walking Central Park and running into climbers. To my pleasure, a lot of these local city climbers still remember and use the old guide. To my utter shame, however, I never finished transferring all the info from my typewritten version to the digital online version.

So, I\'d like to get that off my list of personal stuff to do before career stuff gets in the way again.

In the next few weeks I will be filling in the rest of the old guide ... basically everything north of Cat and Rat Rock!

I am NOT going to turn the old guide into a new guide that includes all the \"newer\" boulder problems found in the very north part of Manhattan. There\'s a new guide out called \"New York City Bouldering\" that seems to have done the job well.

But I do want to finish the old guide and let it remain accessible to all. What I need to finish it is some info on the North Woods area of CP. After \"rediscovering\" Needle Rock (Worthless) in 1993, I started making forays up into the woods above. That was just a month before I moved to LA. So I never got photos and only worked out a few of the basic lines up there (the Tito and Tina Cave was a toilet back then ... maybe still is).

If anyone here has any info on the problems in the North Woods and some photos, I would be immensely grateful ... and will credit appropriately of course.

You can post stuff here or shoot me some direct email at nfalacci@earthlink.net

Thanks!

#71657 - 09/06/14 11:22 AM Re: Old Manhattan Bouldering Guide [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
So your daughter is a chip off the old block, as it were. Not haven\'t read any of the guidebooks or climbed much in Manhattan, I can\'t give advice on it. I live in northern Manhattan and am familiar with its parks. I don\'t know whether any guidebook mentions the fact that the northern parks contain much poison ivy and the boulderer would do well to identify it.

#71661 - 09/12/14 04:21 PM Re: Old Manhattan Bouldering Guide [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
crimpy Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wawarsing
the nyc bouldering guide pretty much has it all.
most of the stuff up the hill from 110 is low quality and full of glass etc.

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored