Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 7 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#68 - 02/11/00 07:37 PM Italian dolomites
Anonymous
Unregistered

March I'm heading to Cortina Italy for a week of fun on the slopes and possibility of climbing in the dolomites. Has anyone climbed the dolomites? Who should I contact? How is the climbing? Route beta? Should i even bother to bring the harness and shoes? Any information would be greatly appreciated. the freak or freaking tool climbgunks@yahoo.com

#69 - 02/12/00 08:48 PM Re: Italian dolomites
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
I haven't climbed there myself, but i have heard plenty of stories from other people.

The long trad routes on the cima grande, marmolada, etc. sound long, loose, tricky route finding, and sketchy gear -
kind of like 5 or 6 milbrooks stacked on top of each other with most of them being 5.8 and up. There is also a fair bit of
sport climbing in the area which is most likely pretty high end.

There are lots of stories about the dolomites in various issues of climbing or rock and ice-check their websites. i believe
the rock and ice superguide(should be at rock and snow now) had a little blurb about it as well.

andrew

ps, take everything i just said with a grain of salt. most of the info i have is from drunk climbers telling stories
around a bonfire at hueco tanks, *sigh* petes just isn't the same anymore since they closed hueco :(

#70 - 02/13/00 04:30 PM Re: Italian dolomites
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
Hi Freak,
I was there last summer. I climbed at Cinque Torre and Toffana De Roses. Both are about <15 km South of Cortina. Cinque Torre has a bunch of sport routes covering a range of grades and a few trad routes. In the summer there is a road leading to within a 5 minute walk of the base. Since you will be there in March there is a ski lift that will bring you within 0.5 km of the base and at about the same elevation. Toffana De Roses has trad climbing up to about 700 m. The hike to the base in the summer takes about forty minutes. In March you can take a ski lift that will take you above the base and you can hike or ski down. I would highly recomend a helmet if you climb here. Small rocks were constantly wizzing by my head. If you want a guide, Guide Alpina Cortina is right in the center of town by the church. You can buy a guide book at the cooperative in town. I'll post again with the name of the book I bought if I can remember to bring it to work. Plan on buying shoes while you are there. A pair of climbing shoes that is $140 here was about $85 there. Try K2 Sports. Have fun,
Paul

remove NOSPAM to email me

#71 - 02/15/00 02:29 PM Re: Italian dolomites [Re: hartmann]
Anonymous
Unregistered

One more question. Will I get hassled at customs with a chalk bag?

paranoid freak

#72 - 02/15/00 06:51 PM Re: Italian dolomites
Lisa Offline

Freak--check out www.mnet-climb.com/English/home.html it has a whole section on climbing (rock and ice) in the Dolomites (in Italian too if you want)

Ciao, Lisa

#73 - 02/15/00 07:44 PM Re: Italian dolomites [Re: Lisa]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
I've been in the Dolomites to climb, though not around Cortina. Cortina is the more "alpine" area of the Dolomites. Therefore, if you want to climb, and March is still winter in the Alps, bring your Alpine/ice gear and leave the chalkbag at home. If you are into that kind of thing you will have the time of your life!
If you want rock climbing that time of year go to the area around Arco, but it will be cold in March. Ciao-phlan

#74 - 02/16/00 02:03 PM Re: Italian dolomites [Re: phlan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just wanted to thank you all for the information. Grazie....Grazie.....

Ciao,
freak

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored